USCSSS Nostromo - Alien - The Board Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 15, 2018, 02:13:30 PM

Author
USCSSS Nostromo - Alien - The Board Game (Read 37,426 times)

Corporal Hicks

It seems they're trying to say his pitch inspired them to pursue the Alien license and do their own game based on the first film but that it's different to the prototype he submitted to them.

Whiskeybrewer

Its a BS excuse reading it

Corporal Hicks

The official page just posted this update -

QuoteHello everyone,

First of all, I apologize for our response delay, we preferred to have a better overview before making a more official statement.
We are very saddened by the situation and quite stunned by what is happening around the Nostromo project. We sincerely seek to do the right thing in this situation so we contacted François Bachelart at the beginning of this campaign, to clarify things and see what can be done together.

In view of a situation beyond our control that we had to manage since the day before yesterday, we have not yet had the opportunity to have a true discussion with François and we think it is important to address the subject calmly with him.

It is obvious that we are perfectly against plagiarism, especially since the game environment is a medium that we love and respect. Game designers do a great job and it is important to us that it is valued and paid for.

We will keep you informed of the next steps.

-Aldébaran Geneste

https://www.facebook.com/AlienTheBoardGame/?hc_ref=ARQEk2rLRAIeFSuDRtYe7h5sC0xEOq2MEx7a-wMKdD-S30HBAf2Ea7h3_NN5OnOjt2Y&fref=nf

skhellter

Neat idea. Clusterf**k execution.

Shame. Still looking forward to the Aliens game. :)

windebieste

Aw, Man.  I hope they can over come this hurdle.  I mean, Fox really don't care if you make unlicenced stuff - just be careful how you sell it.  Look at how many unofficial T-shirts, resin casts and other items are for sale.  Such unauthorised manufacturers are more likely to be chased by organisations that are already (ALIEN) licence holders making a similar product rather than Fox themselves. 

It's too bad for these guys that opposition to their board game came from 'behind' so to speak.  From what I can see of their efforts, it's all been legal and within copyright law boundaries without the need to approach Fox at all.  Copyright law doesn't just exist to protect owners; it also has provision for third party authors and artists to release product/content under strict guidelines. 

Sorry to see these guys get choked like this.  Obviously, this 3rd party has determined the game is going to be a success and wants a piece of the pie.  If it's legitimately his - and it's not my judgment call to determine that - then maybe he's entitled to it. 

I'm looking forward to an eventual resolution between the 2 parties and the game seeing release.  Please make this happen, Guys!

-Windebieste.

C

C

Gale Force 9 has another Aliens game, this one a miniatures. So, yep, you can have your IP from a reputable company.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=59593.0

We've got an existing thread for the Galeforce board game here. Looking forward to learning more about that one.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Looks like the website and all social channels have been taken down too.

Whiskeybrewer

Oh well. Least we "hopefully" have the Galeforce one lol

windebieste

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 25, 2018, 11:40:50 AM
Looks like the website and all social channels have been taken down too.

That's not a good sign.  We need independent and home grown Projects to work out.   That's a lot of work to have to say goodbye to.  Hope it picks up gets back on its feet again.

Has anyone received any refunds?  That'll be the big tell all sign, either way.

-Windebieste.

Some

Some

Thanks windebieste,

I'm glad to finally see someone so sympathetic for those guys. Clearly, you've really understood the matter at stake.

Thieves should totally be rewarded for thieving, otherwise, it means that years of thieving would go unrewarded, which seems like, totally unfair.

Moresvy

Moresvy

WonderDice plagiarize this game from other people who offer this concept to them 8 years ago and was refused just to now make the game themselves, they don't even change the name and they menace to sue any media who talk against them.

Don't support this thieves.

Corporal Hicks

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2018, 09:22:52 AM
https://kotaku.com/alien-board-game-accused-of-plagiarism-1825551686

Wow. I was prepared to ignore the controversy 'cause I just want a good Alien board game, but with that statement, these guys have proved themselves to be irredeemable assholes. I almost get the impression they're going to sue me if I don't buy it. I'll make a point of avoiding all things WonderDice from now on (not that I knew who they were in the first place).

Radomir

Radomir

I'm one of those overexcited fans who pre-ordered the game shortly before the controversy has unveiled.
I have contacted the company Wonderdice, concerned about development of the game, because the website and Facebook page have been taken down. They replied :

"Dear Radomir,
We will be back online soon. Don't worry you will get your game this summer !
regards,
Aldébaran Geneste"

I'm really curious how this affair will develop...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed