AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 676,196 times)

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 12, 2019, 12:44:06 AM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 12, 2019, 12:38:34 AM
It's AVP without question.

The plastic faced predator, bad acting by the lead actress, cheesy team up and toned-down nature kill it for me.

I can't take friendly predators. I just can't.

AVP-R has bad acting all around, a romantic subplot that goes nowhere and a predator with the iq of a corncob.

Kradan

Kradan

AVP at least tries to be something big, something unusual, something spectacular. It has scale. AVPR has none of it.  That movie has to be used as definition of "trash"

And these teen love story ... bleh.

P-Rock

P-Rock

That's because Paul Anderson knows how to direct a movie. The brothers Strause clearly don't.

SiL

SiL

It was their first feature.

It showed.

Well --

You know what I mean.

Huggs

Huggs

Friendly predator = total ruination.

426Buddy

426Buddy

My favorite AvP story is the original comic series, which features a teamup. It's definitely not a problem for me, it was just done very poorly in the AvP film.

Still lightyears beyond AvPR.

AvP all day.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 12, 2019, 03:52:11 PM

I always pictured Voodoo as a "friendly Predator" before he changed his avatar to the teddy bear.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jul 12, 2019, 05:12:20 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 12, 2019, 03:52:11 PM

I always pictured Voodoo as a "friendly Predator" before he changed his avatar to the teddy bear.

Now he's double agent teddy. Hunting oomans by night, making buddies by day.

thexenomorphfanboy

thexenomorphfanboy

ALIEN VS PREDATOR VERSES ALIENS VS PREDATOR REQUIEM!

acting: Alien vs predator (2004) wins best for acting straight up!

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Alien vs predator (2004) slaps requiem consistently in the face. the image quality, lighting, and  in requiem is quite poor

ACTION: well for the VISIBLE scenes in requiem, i think requiem wins action, violence etc. paul w s anderson's action in alien vs predator feels "censored".

Story: ALIEN VS PREDATOR(2004) takes the win, definitely. Even though the stakes of alien vs predator, being in Antarctica is not high, (what are they gonna do, kill some penguins?), the whole temple, predator mythology is really interesting. Requiem doesn't do anything except add the predator homeworld. also avp looks expensive and it looks like anderson tried. requiem looks like the directors and people behind it didnt give a shit.
when you sum up alien vs predator: it's explorers and scientist uncover a ancient pyramid were predators kept xenomorphs' to hunt for the right of passage. the pyramid changes every 10 minutes like a never ending maze.
when you sum up requiem: a predator scout ship crash lands in a small town, unleashing facehuggers and xenomorphs. a group of annoying teenagers must try make it out the town, or die. it is literally about a couple of annoying teens running around screaming in pitch black with a few xenomorphs nocking on peoples bedroom windows and chasing people down the road.
HOW THE HELL DID AN ALIEN AND PREDATOR APEAR IN A SMALL BUDGET SLASHER FILM!!!

The Old One

The Old One

AVP's not good but, every entry's superior to AVP Requiem, in either franchise regardless.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: thexenomorphfanboy on Mar 08, 2020, 04:12:54 AM
ALIEN VS PREDATOR VERSES ALIENS VS PREDATOR REQUIEM!

acting: Alien vs predator (2004) wins best for acting straight up!

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Alien vs predator (2004) slaps requiem consistently in the face. the image quality, lighting, and  in requiem is quite poor

ACTION: well for the VISIBLE scenes in requiem, i think requiem wins action, violence etc. paul w s anderson's action in alien vs predator feels "censored".

Story: ALIEN VS PREDATOR(2004) takes the win, definitely. Even though the stakes of alien vs predator, being in Antarctica is not high, (what are they gonna do, kill some penguins?), the whole temple, predator mythology is really interesting. Requiem doesn't do anything except add the predator homeworld. also avp looks expensive and it looks like anderson tried. requiem looks like the directors and people behind it didnt give a shit.
when you sum up alien vs predator: it's explorers and scientist uncover a ancient pyramid were predators kept xenomorphs' to hunt for the right of passage. the pyramid changes every 10 minutes like a never ending maze.
when you sum up requiem: a predator scout ship crash lands in a small town, unleashing facehuggers and xenomorphs. a group of annoying teenagers must try make it out the town, or die. it is literally about a couple of annoying teens running around screaming in pitch black with a few xenomorphs nocking on peoples bedroom windows and chasing people down the road.
HOW THE HELL DID AN ALIEN AND PREDATOR APEAR IN A SMALL BUDGET SLASHER FILM!!!

At least from what I know on the last bit is that they didn't have the money for it and yet did it anyways. A quick google search says its about a 40 million dollar budget. That makes sense seeing as a lot of props and creatures are reused from the last movie ill-fitted and all. Most of the budget likely went into the Predator and Alien redesign as well as creating the Predalien. I'd also heard a rumor that the town they shot in also bled them for money as much as being complete pains in the ass to work with.

According to IMDB the film is written by Shane Salerno who after taking a look at his past and present works reveals why the film focused on who it did, he's a TV writer who primarily worked on crime dramas. The Strause brothers are also visual FX people (ironically) who somehow got the directing chair. They've got a pretty good work history but that's like putting someone who knows how to play guitar on defusing a bomb, it's a whole different ballgame.

InterAlien

InterAlien

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 12, 2019, 09:19:15 AM
AVP at least tries to be something big, something unusual, something spectacular. It has scale. AVPR has none of it.  That movie has to be used as definition of "trash"

And these teen love story ... bleh.

I agree. You can definitely see the effort put into the sets, props, and visuals on AVP; Paul W.S. Anderson genuinely tried to make a good movie, even though he failed spectacularly - at least he tried, and it shows. The art designs of the predators and aliens on the interior pyramid walls was great.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

AvPR would've been a bit better if it wasn't so dark. The lighting was straight up garbage on top of everything else.

SM

SM

QuoteAccording to IMDB the film is written by Shane Salerno who after taking a look at his past and present works reveals why the film focused on who it did, he's a TV writer who primarily worked on crime dramas.

And the first AvP.

SiL

SiL

And Armageddon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed