Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON?

Started by CainsSon, Aug 21, 2015, 03:16:53 AM

Author
Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON? (Read 9,623 times)

Kel G 426

QuoteCameron is EVIL

To be fair, this is probably true.  :laugh: But damn, he makes a good movie!

hfeldhaus

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 21, 2015, 11:32:16 AM
Isn't there any good horror script writers out there? Preferable in the sci-fi arena.

Alex Garland. He's too good for this though.

marrerom

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 29, 2015, 10:01:43 PM
"Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON?"

Big-ass NO. Cameron has done enough already as it is.

Sadly I have to agree.  Considering Cameron's support for Terminator Genisys and his statement that AVP was the third best alien film I think he may have lost his mind.

Perfect-Organism

Wha?  When did Cameron support AVP?  I thought he was dead set against it?

marrerom

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 09, 2015, 10:40:17 PM
Wha?  When did Cameron support AVP?  I thought he was dead set against it?

During an interview with Quint from "aint it cool news".

Here's the relevant quote: 

JAMES CAMERON: Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

QUINT: Ummm...

JAMES CAMERON: I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot.

source: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/22405

PsyKore

That's not to say he thought it wasn't silly. The fact he laughs during that quote may be an indication of that. I think a lot of people enjoyed it when it came out even though it was a stupid movie. There's also this, for what it's worth:

Kel G 426

QuoteJAMES CAMERON: Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

Probably more of a jab at 3 & 4, rather than genuine praise of AVP.

Xenomorphine

He was against it because he was always under the assumption it was be like a 'Godzilla' formula, where it's just nothing but monster fights for the heck of it.

At least the first of the AVP films attempted to be more than that, story-wise, even if it wasn't as effective as it wanted to be. I still maintain that if Anderson had been in 'Event Horizon' mindset, instead of 'Resident Evil' mindset, the same basic story could have been presented in a much more atmospheric and chilling way.

NickisSmart

Event Horizon wasn't terrible. For what it was, I enjoyed it, largely because it succeeded at being something appropriate for the genre. It felt at home. Resident Evil wasn't the Gothic/Survival Horror film it should've been, and thus felt like it was having an identity crisis, and missing some important context in regards to the source material; AVP was far too truncated and accelerated for it's own good, and also didn't seem to understand the film(s) made before it. Though perhaps I should scrutinize the Dark Horse graphic novels, instead, but coming at AVP purely from a moviegoer's perspective, I feel as though the homage the film should have been paying to the classics was sorely lacking.

That being said, I wouldn't have cared had it been well-made. Alas, for a film called Aliens versus Predator, there was very little actual combat. I liked these parts, more or less, but there wasn't nearly enough of it to justify the other 70-or-so minutes of boring human characters. There was little in the way of memorable suspense, dialogue or character interactions.

System Apollo

Quote from: NickisSmart on Sep 12, 2015, 09:04:41 PM
Event Horizon wasn't terrible. For what it was, I enjoyed it, largely because it succeeded at being something appropriate for the genre. It felt at home. Resident Evil wasn't the Gothic/Survival Horror film it should've been, and thus felt like it was having an identity crisis, and missing some important context in regards to the source material; AVP was far too truncated and accelerated for it's own good, and also didn't seem to understand the film(s) made before it. Though perhaps I should scrutinize the Dark Horse graphic novels, instead, but coming at AVP purely from a moviegoer's perspective, I feel as though the homage the film should have been paying to the classics was sorely lacking.

That being said, I wouldn't have cared had it been well-made. Alas, for a film called Aliens versus Predator, there was very little actual combat. I liked these parts, more or less, but there wasn't nearly enough of it to justify the other 70-or-so minutes of boring human characters. There was little in the way of memorable suspense, dialogue or character interactions.

1. The comic book homage was good. The characters were just too weak because very little went into them probably because of the time spent trying to execute the conflict... Besides, establishing new ground with AvP by paying homage to the previous installments sounds rather wasteful... I mean look at what it did to Predators.

2. There was very little of everything. I wouldn't have expected that the fight scenes would be above average.

3. I agree, this buried the concept completely.  Essentially it was a good idea but it was just executed so poorly.

Jarac

Jarac

I definitely think they should, especially since Blompkamp seems to want to continue from Aliens. Just consult Cameron on some ideas, some of the plot/themes and use what you want from that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 12, 2015, 08:21:49 PMI still maintain that if Anderson had been in 'Event Horizon' mindset, instead of 'Resident Evil' mindset, the same basic story could have been presented in a much more atmospheric and chilling way.

This.

There were things I liked in the first AVP. It was just killed off by the child-friendly tone. Well, and the fact they set it on Earth in the present.

Gash

Can't say I rate any of Cameron's script writing efforts, so his involvement wouldn't add anything for me.

GQSioux

I said this in another thread, but after witnessing The Martian, I think Ridley should at least consult with Drew Goddard (The Martian, Cabin in the Woods, Lost, Cloverfield)  on the Alien: Paradise Lost screenplay since they just worked together and already have a winner on their hands.

Alien³

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 24, 2015, 07:55:11 PM
That's my point. Is whatever the film is advertised as, it needs to be. I think a lot of people were disappointed with Prometheus because it wasn't what it was advertised as.

Was I the only one who thought the trailers fit fine? :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed