Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article!

Started by amazing_prometheus, Jun 12, 2012, 06:30:33 PM

Author
Great new Prometheus SEQUEL article! (Read 25,900 times)

melkor

melkor

Nice article.

melkor

melkor

Quote from: G8RSG1 on Jun 13, 2012, 06:57:38 AM
Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 13, 2012, 05:50:55 AM
I thought the worst parts of the dialogue were:

"You can pay me on the other side...''
"Father"!"
... and several Holloway points.

Screenplay was worse than dialogue- pacing, and plot issues (eg- SJ attacks Shaw with no helmet, why did he take his helmet off when he had to walk in the atmosphere outside to get to her, after putting it on ?!)

For all you know, his helmet could have been damaged in the crash.

The plot issue is HOW could he survive in the atmosphere without his helmet, when the screenplay has already established  that engineers and humans need them!

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

@ Darkness...

Thanks for the mention!

I love the article and agree with it totally.

@G8RSG1...

The issue I believe he is pointing out is that the helmets were needed to survive in the moon's atmosphere! The film makes reference to this earlier. So it's a plot issue/ continuity issue for sure.

All- this is not being lazy... it's just a deficiency in the screenplay as far as I am concerned.

:-(

ChrisPachi

Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 13, 2012, 09:42:37 AMThe issue I believe he is pointing out is that the helmets were needed to survive in the moon's atmosphere! The film makes reference to this earlier.

Yes, when Ford says it would be like sucking on a tail pipe. That doesn't mean that the Engineers needed helmets to survive - the reason for the Engineer's helmet is never properly established.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 13, 2012, 01:02:08 PM
Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 13, 2012, 09:42:37 AMThe issue I believe he is pointing out is that the helmets were needed to survive in the moon's atmosphere! The film makes reference to this earlier.

Yes, when Ford says it would be like sucking on a tail pipe. That doesn't mean that the Engineers needed helmets to survive - the reason for the Engineer's helmet is never properly established.

Like you, I never got the explicit impression that the Engineers needed their helmets to survive the atmosphere. If anything, I felt that the helmet might be more of an interface with the starmap/navigation 'cannon'. But if I've missed anything, I'm all ears!

Thomas

Personally i would love to see an all out war of "Humans vs Engineers" that would be cool, complete with bioweapons usage.......

Not aliens exactly but i would love to see what kind of "out of this wourld" weaponry the engineers have and use. How about a weapon that when it hits its target it instantly transforms them into some sort of biowepoan to be used against others.......

That would be awsome.......

meanstreak

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 12, 2012, 08:58:45 PM
'Plothole' is a term used as a crutch by the lazy of mind and those with no imagination.

lol most ignorant comment ever! Try watching a movie without any plot holes, say for example The Deer Hunter or Shawshank Redemption or One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest or Carlitos' Way, and then tell me Promethus just takes "a little imagination."

MrT

MrT

I cant see there being any demand for a sequel in all honesty. It's all just too uninteresting and the mystery that surrounded Alien is no more :(

I expected an all out Giger fest and we got over CGI'd angry bald guys, giant squids and the dumbest set of characters since AVP Requiem. Was not impressed.

Prometheus is so poor and has had so much bad press Ridley would be wise to forget the sequel and focus on making Blade Runner 2 a half descent film. He needs to redeem himself. BIG TIME!

ElderPredator

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 12, 2012, 09:11:40 PM
I want to see Fox makes a sequel in the first place. We hear about a sequel after the movie then nothing for the next few years.
Ha so true.

Mister Skeezler

If the Engineers could be standing around without a helmet at the moment life began on Earth, then they could walk around LV-223 without a problem.

Toy

Toy

What if the atmosphere is not only getting in, but also coming out of the temple once the ampule room is opened? When exactly did they notice they could breathe in the temple. What is the temple doing pumping air, I mean obviously it's for the Engineers to breathe, but maybe they were affecting the atmosphere in the first place.  Weyland figured it out with a similar design. Could these be ancient atmospheric processors? I think what results from them opening the door wasn't a trap...

It all goes wrong because of the battle the Engineers were engaged in and how they suddenly sealed off the door, decapitating the one Engineer, causing the improper shutdown. leaving the atmosphere outside only partially converted. It was reacting to the change in atmosphere but mainly the sudden presence of oxygen in that chamber. I think this was a chamber that's part of the system and intended to alter the atmosphere, but the way they left the temple partially running, & pumping out oxygen affected this chamber when it was finally opened. The sudden change from outside, now that the planet has returned to it's normal atmosphere, caused the sudden degradation. It wouldn't be a problem if the thing had been shut down before being sealed off, or if there was no oxygen present in the rest of the temple to rush in. Also causes the sudden restart of the ancient atmospheric processor when the doors opened, which could be powered by one form of the life altering substance.

So, the actual atmosphere outside begins to change.. which was in the process of being converted for use by the Engineers, and is now partially being processed again. However it all malfunctions at first, because the air outside has returned to normal over the 2000 years. The weather picks up and this causes Janek to warn them of a sudden, huge storm approaching. The humans/engineers can breathe in the temple, and I think David messed everything up, made things degrade because of the state the Engineers left the facility in. But he also made it so the air outside started being converted again. So does it generate oxygen and atmosphere, possibly even the first stages of plant life to make the planet habitable by way of some form of the magic goo in a more controlled form?  I guess what I'm saying is does this thing mine/convert the toxins in the air into something they can breathe or use if concentrated and mixed as a weapon? Sort of a parallel to what the flamethrower does to produce fire.

mastermoon

Quote from: fiveways on Jun 12, 2012, 07:36:55 PM
I want less Shaw.  Naomi Rapace just doesn't do it for me.  David was shockingly awesome.

I also want less "Alien".  More new stuff.

Also, a better score.

Keep your fingers crossed that may happen for the sequel :).

Cougerboy

Curious how so many Prometheus haters think it's the worse movie that's ever made. Or the fact that they can't stand the fact that quite a few alien fans (actually make that the majority) think it's actually an alright (if not great movie).

It's hilarious how they get so offended if someone actually thought Prometheus was a decent flick. I think they are so wrapped up what they want out of an alien movie that they totally ignore any good things about Prometheus (and there are some good ideas in the movie). No, keep repeating that you think the movie sucks does not make your comment any more credible than mine.

Cougerboy

Quote from: MrT on Jun 13, 2012, 03:06:58 PM
I cant see there being any demand for a sequel in all honesty. It's all just too uninteresting and the mystery that surrounded Alien is no more :(

I expected an all out Giger fest and we got over CGI'd angry bald guys, giant squids and the dumbest set of characters since AVP Requiem. Was not impressed.

Prometheus is so poor and has had so much bad press Ridley would be wise to forget the sequel and focus on making Blade Runner 2 a half descent film. He needs to redeem himself. BIG TIME!

Hate to break this to you, but just because you think the movie is bad does not mean the rest of the world agrees with you. What counts is the box office and whether enough of the audience likes it. So far on both counts it is favourable to a sequel.

Just because Prometheus does not match your expectation of what an alien movie is about does not make it a bad movie.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

'Bad' is not a good descriptive term for Prometheus- because it clearly has strong points that will appeal to some people.

A better term is 'flawed' - we're all aware of those flaws, but they bother some people more than others.

It worries me that people get so aggro when someone either thinks its amazing or thinks its terrible- its a movie! Not everyone will love it but one cannot find it objectively good or objectively bad.

Please learn to appreciate other peoples views people, even
if you don't agree with them.

I thought Prometheus was deficient in many parts, but that doesn't make me stupider or cleverer than someone who thought it was utterly brilliant. I am glad some people got so much out of the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed