Name that Tune

Started by Mr. Clemens, Jan 23, 2022, 06:31:37 PM

Author
Name that Tune (Read 2,423 times)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Does anybody know what tune Dallas is singing at the top of the chestburster scene? It sounds like he's singing "Allah sue ya, lamaze!", but I don't imagine it can be that.

This has bugged me for forty years.  :D

Kradan

Kradan

What ? I don't remember him singing any tune

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

It's just in the general chatter that opens the scene.

Kradan

Kradan

You mean when they're all eating right before Kane's death ? Dalls singing something is genuinely news to me

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Yep. It's right at the top, in the wide shot.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Try having a look at what songs were topping the charts in 1978 and see if there are any leads.

Otherwise there is always Elmazalman.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

It doesn't sound like Dallas. It sounds like Parker singing.

The tune is short and could be anything. You can hear it more clearly if you use the raw production audio from the film (1999 DVD) and, perhaps, the audio for the multi-angle Chestburster sequence.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 24, 2022, 12:50:00 PM
It doesn't sound like Dallas. It sounds like Parker singing.

Gotta disagree there. Totally sounds like Dallas. The line is sung just before Parker says "What happened to this guy...", and the two voices are nothing alike. Maybe I can pull the audio and put it up here for closer examination...

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Please do.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Come on guys, you need to name that tune!

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Yes, there it is from 0:01 to 0:03.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

It sounds like a brief snatch of dialogue mixed in with the rest of the din - and it still sounds like Parker.

The early dialogue in the sequence is layered on top without regard for who's speaking - a deliberate sound design choice? I believe the director wanted a sense of unease by making the overlapping dialogue hard to decipher.

Lambert's line "Give me a break" doesn't match her mouth movements (she's smiling at the moment the line is delivered).

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 25, 2022, 11:23:37 PM
I believe the director wanted a sense of unease by making the overlapping dialogue hard to decipher.

If that was the goal they sure succeeded in it

SiL

SiL

The overlapping dialogue was meant to give the impression of natural conversation, everyone talking on top of each other.  Robert Altman made an actor-infuriating habit out of it and clearly Ridley liked the effect.

TC

TC

Quote from: SiL on Jan 26, 2022, 02:04:07 AM
The overlapping dialogue was meant to give the impression of natural conversation, everyone talking on top of each other.  Robert Altman made an actor-infuriating habit out of it and clearly Ridley liked the effect.

Yes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed