Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 179,022 times)

TC

Of course, Ripley and Newt are dead (we all know that), but in other circumstances I'd have been happy at this stage of the game to have Ripley show up in a cameo. It wouldn't even have to be as large a role as Harrison Ford's in Blade Runner 2049 -- her appearance could be as brief as Eddie James Olmos' cameo in BR. Maybe I'm really talking about a cameo by Ripley8.

Quote from: Badwolf-00 on Jan 05, 2019, 07:38:08 PM
Personally... as out there as this sounds... I'd love to see Jeri on the big screen. Jeri was my favorite synth from the comics.

Me too. But he'd fit into a sort of Alien:Res style of dark humour. Most fans didn't like that.

But he's an intriguing character. Android technology has apparently come so far, why should they all look human? Lot's of possibilities there, although there's always the danger (as in Ridley Scott's latest forays) that android business will overshadow Alien stuff.

TC

Huggs

The concept of Ripley 8 was so far fetched, I don't even know if you could continue in that direction and make any sense.
Even though I enjoy AR, it still seems like more of an EU experience, than a serious entry in the series. Ripley died, on film, and that's that.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 02:14:31 AM
Of course, Ripley and Newt are dead (we all know that), but in other circumstances I'd have been happy at this stage of the game to have Ripley show up in a cameo. It wouldn't even have to be as large a role as Harrison Ford's in Blade Runner 2049 -- her appearance could be as brief as Eddie James Olmos' cameo in BR. Maybe I'm really talking about a cameo by Ripley8.

Quote from: Badwolf-00 on Jan 05, 2019, 07:38:08 PM
Personally... as out there as this sounds... I'd love to see Jeri on the big screen. Jeri was my favorite synth from the comics.

Me too. But he'd fit into a sort of Alien:Res style of dark humour. Most fans didn't like that.

But he's an intriguing character. Android technology has apparently come so far, why should they all look human? Lot's of possibilities there, although there's always the danger (as in Ridley Scott's latest forays) that android business will overshadow Alien stuff.

TC

Why should androids look human?  Because the root word is andro, which is Greek for man.  Maybe a female robot that is in the shape of a woman should be a gynoid?  Andro is similar to anthro, but anthro means human.  So if a robot is in the shape of a human but appears to have no gender characteristics, maybe it should be an anthroid?

Bottom line is, robots can take any shape, but androids are in the shape of man.

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 02:22:23 AM
The concept of Ripley 8 was so far fetched, I don't even know if you could continue in that direction and make any sense.
Even though I enjoy AR, it still seems like more of an EU experience, than a serious entry in the series. Ripley died, on film, and that's that.

Nobody wants to continue from Alien: Resurrection.  So if you can retcon one film, any other film is fair game.  Alien 3 is a natural for an alternate time line, because that is when most people clearly saw the franchise go in an unpopular direction.

Mind you I enjoy watching Alien 3 and Resurrection just the same.  And I will enjoy them long after they are retconned.  They can be great alternate stories.

Huggs

I think all androids should look like Jennifer Connelly, dance like Jamie Lee Curtis, and sound like Catherine Zeta Jones.

Just to be safe.

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 02:33:08 AM
I think all androids should look like Jennifer Connelly, dance like Jamie Lee Curtis, and sound like Catherine Zeta Jones.

Just to be safe.

No no no... we were just told:

Jennifer Connelly, Jamie Lee Curtis, Catherine Zeta Jones = Gynoids

Jeri = Xenoid

TC

Perfect-Organism

Curiously, the word robot comes from Czech.  (Polish is the same, and probably many other Slavic languages).  It means to work.  A "Robotnik" is a worker.  Robota in polish is a work task.  So a robot is a device for doing work.

Huggs

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 02:38:11 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 02:33:08 AM

Just to be safe.

No no no... we were just told:

Jennifer Connelly, Jamie Lee Curtis, Catherine Zeta Jones = Gynoids

Jeri = Xenoid

TC

So that's a no to Jenny Lee Jones then?

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 02:50:46 AM

Jenny prefers the term 'artificial person,' herself.

TC

Huggs

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 02:59:27 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 02:50:46 AM

Jenny prefers the term 'artificial person,' herself.

TC

Necronomicon II

I don't want to see Alien 3 retconned, it's a powerful if flawed film but it's earned its place in the mythos. New stories with new characters and creatures/planets, please.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 10, 2019, 05:43:17 AM
I don't want to see Alien 3 retconned, it's a powerful if flawed film but it's earned its place in the mythos. New stories with new characters and creatures/planets, please.

A few years ago, I would've argued you down for this line of thinking... that said. I would like to see new stories, characters, worlds etc. too.

Growing older makes you more humble in some instances

Necronomicon II

Just think it doesn't need to be any messier, though I like the prequels. 3 was a great end to Ripley's arc and a perfect counterpoint to David.

Necronomicon II

The Kurgan

Well, that's something. Glad to hear.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed