Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,800 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Magegg on Jan 03, 2019, 06:07:18 PM
I hope Disney instantly cancels Alien: Awakening and instantly greenlights/reworks Blomkamp's Ripley's return.

That's exactly what the Alien franchise needs right now: go back mainstream and bring back the old audience by making their most loved hero return. An injection of crowd-pleasing joy, for a change this time.

Also, bring back Schwarzenneger in a new Predator movie.

Probably even a crossover, Ripley and Dutch; through a time warp/time-travelling story, cryogenia or something.

Put JJ Abrams or Kevin Feige to supervise. Make it a trilogy. Alien, Predator, then Alien vs Predator. Just rebuild. Reboot the franchise. Make Alien and Predator great again.

You had me right up until you said let's bring Ripley and Dutch together.  Come on!!

Bringing back Ripley with some sort of modified version of Blomkamp's film is the way to go.  I don't think anyone wants to see Ripley in an alien costume.   ::)

I also want Ridley Scott to get the chance to finish his films.  Why not?  I'm sure they will age well.

But no more AVP.  At least not in the near future.  It's played out.

The Old One

The Old One

Alien is R-Rated. Alien is divisive.

Be it Ridley Scott, James Cameron or David Fincher.
Someone with a vision they're unwilling to compromise on.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 04:16:38 PM

Time and time again, Disney has shown reluctance to allow that.
Attempting to popularize the series by removing elements that have been present from 1979 is creatively bankrupt, the worst thing they could do.

I'm all for giving the franchise to new filmmakers, Tongal is doing it at the very least.
But bringing back old characters and retconning to do "Aliens but bigger" is a vapid idea, and I'll take Ridley Scott's
attempts at articulating a new idea over that. He just needs a better script to mold his work around.

No, having to include sexual subtext and fears of the foreign makes it an Alien film.
Otherwise as others have said, you might as well make a new Science-Fiction franchise.

The clamouring for inevitable mediocrity continues.

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 03, 2019, 07:36:25 PMAlien is R-Rated. Alien is divisive.
It wasn't divisive in the good old days. Everybody loved it.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 04:16:38 PMTime and time again, Disney has shown reluctance to allow that.
Attempting to popularize the series by removing elements that have been present from 1979 is creatively bankrupt, the worst thing they could do.
Don't think so. At all. For a franchise to survive it needs to experiment with new focuses. Right now, the interest in the franchise is very low, and I'm sure another Ridley Scott movie would lead them to a bankrupt in interest.

I want the ALIEN name to be big again, and resonate with people, make them excited.

The franchise needs to go back to being popular and bringing back the mainstream audience. It needs a big twist and rebranding. I don't think particularly that Covenant was Ridley, I saw it more as a repitition of the old horror Alien style (and full of terrible decisions by the way), didn't impress the audience.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 04:16:38 PMNo, having to include sexual subtext and fears of the foreign makes it an Alien film.
So, rehashing the same themes yet again?

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 04:16:38 PMOtherwise as others have said, you might as well make a new Science-Fiction franchise.
Could be, but nowadays new franchises are hard to create. In the other hand, Alien needs a rehabilitation, the perception of the audience about the franchise and its appeal is almost run out.
A nice return to action with more sci-fi interesting ideas, better managed than the big convoluted nonsense Ridley and Lindelof have given up, can really get people to associate the ALIEN brand with good enjoyable stuff.

It simply needs a bump. Something new that surprises people. After a few years, when the brand is rehabilitated to generate interest once more, you can go back to the roots, with the R-Rating and horror/sexual themes. And with better producers-writers for God's sake, not Ridley Scott/Lindelof or the Covenant guys >__<

Eldritch_DM

The problem with making something "new and different" is you end up inevitably alienating (For lack of a better word) your original audience, the fans because its vastly different than what they grew to love and enjoy. Sure you might gain a smaller new audience but you can't really take Alien and turn it into a big budget blockbuster sadly. I just don't believe it would work in todays market.

I do agree that Scott needs to go. He's slowly turned into Lucas with this and it's sad.

Magegg

But judging by the numbers, Covenant, whose purpose was to gain back the "original Alien fans" made less money than Prometheus, that actually did something to introduce new themes not seen in Alien.

You can't keep repeating the same again and again because the audience loses interest. That's just no business.

Take a look at the Star Trek 2009 reboot. It revitalized the brand and brought a new audience, broadened its appeal. It didn't do that well in theaters after that, but it led to diversification.
Thanks to the money and attention gained 2009 reboot, the fans of the original now can enjoy a more loyal CBS series, with high production values.

I think Alien (and Predator) have a tremendous potential to become big franchises again, that can make a lot more people interested, pleased and excited, if we let them grow in a different direction, at least for a while. It's for the health of the brand. Then give it a few years and you can go back to make new entries in the old style, to please the original fans without that much of a risk of ending in complete bankrupt; because let's face it, Ridley's "original spirit" movies were running the series to the ground.

Voodoo Magic

The longest running successful sci-fi franchise must be the Godzilla right? Universal's monsters are horror, not sci-fi. Sure King Kong was the from the 1930s beating Godzilla by 20+ Years , but Godzilla is on it's 36th film. It's quite amazing how that franchise has endured.

Eldritch_DM

I'd agree with that. Godzilla has had some crazy stuff happen in that franchise. It's kinda hopped all over the place and evolved over time. There's a little something in that franchise for everyone.

Whiskeybrewer

But this does all come down to the fact on whether when they purchase Fox, will they keep it as a separate entity like Marvel in many respects to release the R-rated projects. Like Miramax used to do before that split off and became Dimension or The Weinstein Company or whichever

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Magegg on Jan 03, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
But judging by the numbers, Covenant, whose purpose was to gain back the "original Alien fans" made less money than Prometheus, that actually did something to introduce new themes not seen in Alien.

I think Alien (and Predator) have a tremendous potential to become big franchises again, that can make a lot more people interested, pleased and excited, if we let them grow in a different direction, at least for a while. It's for the health of the brand. Then give it a few years and you can go back to make new entries in the old style, to please the original fans without that much of a risk of ending in complete bankrupt; because let's face it, Ridley's "original spirit" movies were running the series to the ground.

That's because the idea of
Prometheus we/I got in
2010/11 is fantastic.
"Ridley Scott returns to Alien
but this time it's really about the
Space Jockey?
Del Toro's Mountains Of Madness
got canned because it was too similar?
Inferring Prometheus is going to have some
Cthulhu shit in the Alien universe?
Sign me the f**k up!"

But once you saw the execution...

Covenant > Prometheus

Prometheus didn't introduce new themes
so much as it was so unsure
of what it wanted to be,
that it was full of mystery boxes
that ultimately meant nothing.

Covenant knows what it is.
& Covenant certainly introduces
new themes for the franchise,
Ahem;
https://yutani.studio/a-l-i-e-n/alien-covenant-analysis/

It's an Alien film in the style
of a Gothic Horror, full of romanticism.

The writing is the problem,
not the general content.

Quote from: Magegg on Jan 03, 2019, 10:16:16 PM
Take a look at the Star Trek 2009 reboot.
It revitalized the brand and brought a new audience, broadened its appeal.
It didn't do that well in theaters after that, but it led to diversification.
Thanks to the money and attention gained 2009 reboot,
the fans of the original now can enjoy a more loyal CBS series, with high production values.

Ahahaha.

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 03, 2019, 07:14:01 PM

Bringing back Ripley with some sort of modified version of Blomkamp's film is the way to go.

For really real?

Voodoo Magic

I say rip the band-aid off, retcon Alien 3, and bring Sigourney and Michael back in a supporting role and make the future films about Newt, starring some up & coming Jennifer Lawrence type, and sign her cheap to a long term deal.

It may piss off us hardcore fans, but it will give the franchise the best chance to thrive into the future imo. Plus, if they are good movies, I suspect we hardcore fans will quickly get over the Alien 3 retcon.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 04, 2019, 11:50:45 PM
I say rip the band-aid off, retcon Alien 3, and bring Sigourney and Michael back in a supporting role and
make the future films about Newt, starring some up & coming Jennifer Lawrence type, and sign her cheap to a long term deal.

:o

So turn the series intro lineage "passing the torch"
focused garbage like a dozen other series?

XenoHunter99

Yeah, no thanks! Better dead than that!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 04, 2019, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 04, 2019, 11:50:45 PM
I say rip the band-aid off, retcon Alien 3, and bring Sigourney and Michael back in a supporting role and
make the future films about Newt, starring some up & coming Jennifer Lawrence type, and sign her cheap to a long term deal.

:o

So turn the series intro lineage "passing the torch"
focused garbage like a dozen other series?

https://i.giphy.com/media/EiCQzmzE5HLaw/giphy.webp

Better to die that to live and lose your identity.

That's quite a case of the pukies you got there!

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 05, 2019, 12:53:51 AM
Yeah, no thanks! Better dead than that!

Umm...glad you're not overreacting??  :P

The Old One

The Old One

The discussion's gone on over and over at this point for so long;
that it actually has me in the headspace of wondering,
when the inevitable comes and Sigourney Weaver
passes away will this discussion end?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed