Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,770 times)

Russ

No it's not. But the way that the two characters were dealt with was as much of a hand wave as "oh, it was all a dream."

"Oh, Hicks is dead."

There's a good write up and some comments here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/33505/a-closer-look-at-neill-blomkamps-abandoned-alien-sequel

I can't believe we didn't think of this, but someone says "What if Burke was lying about Amanda Ripley."

Given Burke's track record, that's not an unlikely scenario because he wanted to set himself up as the only person Ripley could rely on, trust and be on her side. That opens the door for Amanda stories without the inconvenience of us knowing she dies.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jan 06, 2015, 03:58:24 PMBut the way that the two characters were dealt with was as much of a hand wave as "oh, it was all a dream."

It's not even slightly the same. One is very much in keeping with the series - Ripley's daughter was dealt with in exactly the same way, "By the way, she died while you were asleep." It's a believable, and entirely likely scenario given the tone and themes of the series.

The other is an utterly ludicrous, fan-fictiony way of bringing back a character, more suited to kids' comic books where no one ever dies than a serious film series dealing with adult themes.

Quote from: Russ on Jan 06, 2015, 03:58:24 PMI can't believe we didn't think of this, but someone says "What if Burke was lying about Amanda Ripley."

Given Burke's track record, that's not an unlikely scenario because he wanted to set himself up as the only person Ripley could rely on, trust and be on her side. That opens the door for Amanda stories without the inconvenience of us knowing she dies.

Err... Yeah, heard of Alien: Isolation?

jean.bush.5268

Um, hi guys! I know this can get to be a heated topic, and I dont want to offend anyone by sharing this link I found, but for those of you who are interested in trying to bring back Hicks and Rip, there is this petition that's already collected nearly  800 signatures. I realize that Biehn and Weaver are a lot older, but to me they are irreplaceable. And missed. Yeah, I'm a 'shipper. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but I just wanted to share this for anyone who might be interested. ;D

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/20th_Century_Fox_studio_Bring_back_M_Biehn_as_Hicks_and_S_Weaver_as_Ripley_to_the_new_Alien_movie/?cuVyQib

liarfreak

I feel that a possible "Alien 5" would be something along the lines of a "sequel-reboot", meaning it would probably ignore the events of "Alien 3" and "Alien Resurrection" and start a new continuation from James Cameron's "Aliens". To me, that would be a logical explanation for Ripley and Hicks to be back in action.

Vrastal

this petition is a joke. even IF it got 5k signatures fox isnt going to do a bloody thing about it. Weaver wants to do Ripley 8s story beihn is done with the series. after the colonial marines crap. Alien 3 though was a sucker punch in the beginning, watching the special edition is fairly good film.

Any new story replacing 3 and 4 will just be bad. fox sadly wont touch a true alien film for a while they want to do Prometheus and maybe predator. and Huda is right the nightmare thing is a piss poor fanfic idea.

Vrastal

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 04, 2015, 09:49:12 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 04, 2015, 12:46:39 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Jan 03, 2015, 11:58:45 PM
Wow, there's so much negativity on this thread, I'll sign it if just to say I want an Alien movie that isn't a cheap Prometheus rip.

Exactly! This looks cool as hell. Whoever thinks otherwise...I just worry about  :laugh:
That kind of desperation is what got us AVPr!   :laugh:

and some random guy getting thrown into hicks cryotube

Master

Either they go with Ripley 8 sequel or entire new cast, no other possibility exist.

Vrastal

Quote from: Master on Jan 06, 2015, 07:55:20 PM
Either they go with Ripley 8 sequel or entire new cast, no other possibility exist.

I wish this were true. but im so scared they will try  some fanfic movie idea.

I love the dog alien i dont want that written out either

Ultramorph

I agree, with how good TV has been the last few years, an Aliens TV series has a lot of potential to be awesome.

Vrastal

I would want to see practical effects but that would get very expensive very fast in a tv series. And i wouldnt want the sterotypical tv drama to go with it

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Russ on Jan 06, 2015, 03:58:24 PM
No it's not. But the way that the two characters were dealt with was as much of a hand wave as "oh, it was all a dream."

"Oh, Hicks is dead."

There's a good write up and some comments here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/33505/a-closer-look-at-neill-blomkamps-abandoned-alien-sequel

I can't believe we didn't think of this, but someone says "What if Burke was lying about Amanda Ripley."

well umm...just saying that Ripley's relationship with Clemens is more deeper and got more screentime the one with Hicks. so what are we talking about. the whole movie with all the things Ripley slowly (well really fast) lost is a build up to her sacrafice and its made  effin' well imo

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 06, 2015, 08:43:25 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 06, 2015, 03:20:38 AMI wouldn't be averse to retconning the third and fourth movies as dreams.

Every time I hear this I'm genuinely stunned anyone would think it's a good, enjoyable idea.

Seriously, it's just ridiculous.

You might as well say the same about the basic AVP concept: Every attempt at getting it on the screen, so far, has been fairly underwhelming, but there's every reason to believe it could be an exhilerating thrill-ride - if done right.

The same applies here. Like the very first of the AVP comics still stands up today as great, so do the first two original 'Aliens' comics, back when they were about Hicks and a then-adult Newt. They'd need polishing, but the basics were fine.

Also, don't assume it would have to be about Ripley, Hicks and Newt being together. It could simply be any single one of those characters waking up and finding themselves seperated from the Sulaco or other passengers, for whatever reason. There are any number of ways to take it.

I know the new push is to try and make Weyland-Yutani resurrected in a semi-believable fashion, but, eh... The logic used is a little rickety. Having all the USM and magical egg stuff explained away as dreams would, in many ways, feel more satisfying.

But as I say, it would be a gamble. I'm just saying that it could also, potentially, be fantastic. I'm just not sure who I'd trust to do it right, is all. Right now, considering how the third and fourth films turned out (in comparison to the original two), a non-dream sequel has just as much chance of being decent as an it-was-all-a-dream version would.

My own preference would be to continue Ripley 8's life, however, as the Alien DNA angle is very interesting (and I think the fate and status of the seventh clone is still unknown).

Quote from: Russ on Jan 06, 2015, 03:58:24 PM

At that point, he had no reason to, whereas she would have had every reason to read up on whatever existed of records about her daughter's life in private. Amanda was literally her only surviving link to her old pre-nightmare life. Especially since she'd probably be paranoid about trusting a company representative's word, at that point.

Plus, she seemed to be in pretty much I've-wrapped-up-all-my-affairs mode before agreeing to accompany the Marines on their adventure.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Russ on Jan 05, 2015, 05:59:05 PM

That said - Aliens did have a happy ending.

If it did, then so did Alien. Putting aside the fact its the same imagery

its basically the same thing. In the first movie, Ripley survives, its a happy ending for her, she goes home with her kitty after surviving a terrible ordeal. Almost everyone from her ship is dead, aside from the cat.
In Aliens, in the last moment of the film we see 4 survivors heading home - one guy ripped in half, the other one scarred from face to body, unconscious, an orphaned girl and Ripley in a virtually empty ship which was filled with people in the beginning of the movie - all dead, plus all the families in the colony including the childs parents. The only happy thing about it, aside from the survival, is that the characters faced their nightmares thus perished their  trauma

In short, both films end with a shot of the survivor who went through hell but is now happily going home sleeping

whiterabbit

AlienĀ³ was the movie no one wanted at the time. We wanted rip-hicks kicking ass and not dying unless it was in a glorious way. Not the bitch ass pussy send off he got instead.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 07, 2015, 02:58:08 AMYou might as well say the same about the basic AVP concept: Every attempt at getting it on the screen, so far, has been fairly underwhelming, but there's every reason to believe it could be an exhilerating thrill-ride - if done right.

Two totally different things. True, all on-screen portrayals of AVP so far have sucked, but that doesn't mean the concept doesn't have potential.

The "It was a dream!" argument is just infantile. I mean come on, I was taught how lame that is as a plot device in primary school.

I'm not saying they couldn't have made better sequels. But arbitrarily undoing what we got in such an immature fashion is silly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed