Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,736 times)

SiL

Nooo, thank you. Too fanboyish. And considering Elysium, I don't credit Blomlamp enough to have made it anything other than fanwank.

Love D9, but still.

RakaiThwei

Considering that Fox is too financially and creatively invested in Prometheus.. As much as I like the idea of Blomkamp's Alien 5 ideas, I don't really see this petition getting any steam to get moving and I doubt that Fox would take notice.  :-\

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I'm just being real here.

whiterabbit

Oh god I must be getting old. I have no blooming idea who this guys is.  :-\

Russ

I'm torn - SiL says in the petition thread (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52061.0;topicseen) that Elysium doesn't encourage him... and while we've had the odd tussle on here, I have to say that I agree with on this one.

I really wanted to Elysium to be great, but it was just OK in the end. I bought it watched it and had no desire to see it again (I know he's a Saffa and I love that he had Saffas in the film (being Saffas) but I really thought Copley overdid it with his colloquialisms - it was mishandled and both he and Neil have to shoulder some of the blame for that in my view. This is a really minor point, but for me it was a constant thorn when I watched the film. And I'm not even South African.).

On the other hand, is it fair to judge Blomkamp on this one misstep? I recall that Neil Marshall got similar stick when he was given a big budget and made "Doomsday" that film got loads of hate (and if you are a "Doomsday" hater I WILL fight you *lol*) but that doesn't make Marshall a bad storyteller or director.

I just don't know is my honest feeling on this. I've been reading the tweets - it has a similar ring to when one Paul WS Anderson was given AvP. A fan of the franchises getting the franchise of our dreams! What could go wrong, we asked!?! This isn't the thread to attack or defend the AvPs, I'm just citing that as an example of the dream director with the dream job - it doesn't always pan out as we may hope. Nor did Ridders Return to the franchise in Prometheus, come to that.

Rakai said in the petition thread that Fox is too heavily invested in "Prometheus" to even consider this and, sadly, I'd be inclined to agree with him. The only "out" I can think of is that Ridders has stated many times that "Prometheus" shares the same DNA as "Alien" but isn't "Alien."  So, to kick up Rakai's old ant-hill, could it be considered as AU or sidequel? In the same way that "Soldier" was to "Blade Runner."

I my guess is that Blomkamp is being encouraged by the fan reaction? As SiL says above, professionals are allowed to have fan projects too, but it looks (and this really is my feeling/guess and has no basis in proveable fact) like he "just posted some of that alien shit" he had done and the twitter-sphere went ballistic and he's thinking... "woah! maybe this has some legs!"

He posted: "Fox never said no..." to one follower. Meaning he's asked and they're considering. Or he's never asked?

HuDaFuK

On the one hand, a Blomkamp Alien film could be f*cking amazing.

On the other, Hicks is dead, stop trying to shoe-horn him back into the franchise because of the crying fanboys. Look how well that went in ACM.

Russ

HuDa. You just gotta let A:CM go, man.  :laugh:

Moviegoers and fans alike aren't above "a great deletion." Remember Superman Returns: they came out said directly that it was following on from Superman II and that the Reeves III and IV were missteps and were not part of the continuity and everyone bought it (though I love the film, its almost as though Singer was a little afraid to deliver on that and just making it an out and out sequel).

Also, its often said that the "get around" is some sort of weird Hyperspace induced hallucination (I just learned that I can't spell hallucination while typing this message).

Russ

Should we merge this thread with the other one?

SiL

When a man has two movies, and one works by being unique and the other fails by being on the nose and, well, a bit meh, then yeah -- it's fair to judge the guy on his misstep. If he had, say, a dozen films and one bad one, that's another thing entirely. But he went from clever social commentary sci-fi to incredibly cheesy, heavy-handed social commentary sci-fi that really didn't make a great deal of sense, and that leaves one with the feeling that if he did a fanboy Alien sequel -- as his concept art shows -- it would probably play out like 90% of the fanfiction you read online -- forced, trite, and pandering to what amounts to a fairly small group of fans, and practically no general audience members.

whiterabbit

I googled this guy and I must say that I liked District 9 and Elysium but I'm not desperate enough to have him attempt an "alien" movie.

Russ

Russ

I don't know about that - what did the producer say "you could have someone pissing up a wall and put "Alien" in the title and it'll make 30 million dollars" (adjust for inflation). It'd have an audience allright - and it would be huge news, I'm sure an announcement of this project would make mainstream news.

As for Neill - I think it might be a little harsh to write him off based on Elysium - we'll have to see what "Chappie" brings, I guess (I have to be honest, I'm not really that stoked to see a remake / reimagining of Short Circuit to be honest).

But you're right to be leery - as I say above, Anderson/fan/AvP - regardless of what you think of the film, even he'd agree that it wasn't what he wanted it be.

Is there any good fan-fiction out there? I have to admit, I don't really look at that sort of thing (I read your script which I thought was really, really good, does that count as fan-fiction? If so, then there is!).

whiterabbit

Quote from: SiL on Jan 02, 2015, 11:26:27 AMand that leaves one with the feeling that if he did a fanboy Alien sequel -- as his concept art shows -- it would probably play out like 90% of the fanfiction you read online -- forced, trite, and pandering to what amounts to a fairly small group of fans, and practically no general audience members.
Isn't that exactly what mostly everyone here secretly desires?

Russ

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 02, 2015, 11:38:19 AM
Isn't that exactly what mostly everyone here secretly desires?

hahaha. I don't think there's anything secret about it... but the issue is that even this board which has a really dedicated fanbase can't agree on anything.

Except Aliens vs Predators vs Colonial Marines. That seems to get everyone's vote. (waits for many many people to announce it doesn't get their vote)

Liberator

People have stopped treating the alien like he is really scary and astonishing, so I don't think there will ever be an Alien 5 unless it will just be a reboot. I would have liked to see Hicks return, though.

SiL

Quote from: Russ on Jan 02, 2015, 11:37:37 AM
I don't know about that - what did the producer say "you could have someone pissing up a wall and put "Alien" in the title and it'll make 30 million dollars" (adjust for inflation). It'd have an audience allright - and it would be huge news, I'm sure an announcement of this project would make mainstream news.
Fincher said that.

Based on his movie, Fincher was wrong. While it made plenty on the international market, its poor domestic result is why there were budget limitations on Resurrection, and these days studios seem fairly unforgiving on movies that cost a lot but don't make bank.

QuoteIs there any good fan-fiction out there? I have to admit, I don't really look at that sort of thing (I read your script which I thought was really, really good, does that count as fan-fiction? If so, then there is!).
My script absolutely counts as fan fiction, but isn't a terribly good script on the whole. It was written in 8 days, and it shows. It's a first draft. Creature stuff, great. People stuff, Jesus Christ, what was I thinking.

Fan fiction can lead to good things (a was pointed out, D9 got off the ground because Blomkamp was going to do Halo, couldn't, and was given enough funds to make a movie), but generally, and as indicated by what Blomkamp's posted, it leads to nerdy, dumb things like "Naw, Hicks is totally still alive, guys!"

Alien³

That artwork is very interesting and got me curious about his ideas.

If it wasn't Ripley and Hicks it would make a sweet spin-off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed