Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,834 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Very interesting... so could it possibly mean that it was pitched to FOX but they we're just sitting on the fence or perhaps demanding unreasonable changes to the treatment/script so he decided to ditch it?

Quote from: ace3g on Jan 02, 2015, 05:47:45 PM

Looks like Giger's original egg concept with the "vagina" opening.

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 02, 2015, 06:09:55 PM
Very interesting... so could it possibly mean that it was pitched to FOX but they we're just sitting on the fence or perhaps demanding unreasonable changes to the treatment/script so he decided to ditch it?

Looks like Giger's original egg concept with the "vagina" opening.

Blomkamp's caption for the above picture -

"maybe I'll go back to it ....love the world"  :)

Gigers Alien

Yeah-- I thought from the beginning that this petition was probably not going to catch anybody's attention. But honestly, I don't really care. I wanna get this guy's idea of ignoring the sequels to Aliens out there. I know it's kind of unoriginal, but so many people out there hate the sequels, so there might as well be a kind of sequel-reboot. You know what I mean?

T Dog

Couldn't they just use the Ripley Clone and say that Hicks was cryogenically frozen?

judge death

Why not, after all he has done better movies and fitting for alien than the Jean pierre director and the end results cant be that bad again XD

ikarop

ikarop

That's ancient Prometheus fan-art from even before the film was released. It seems to me like the guy is just a very excited fan throwing together a bunch of ideas. Doesn't sound like he tried to pitch any of this.

http://pleaselookatmeneillblomkamp.blogspot.com.es/2012_04_01_archive.html

Corporal Hicks

The last 2 seem to be. That last Hicks piece says so in the comment, I believe.

ThisBethesdaSea

I wish we could start a petition and get Fox to give this a Greenlight. This HAS to happen.  :)

Immortan Jonesy

These designs predate the development of Prometheus? I ask because the idea of biomechanical suits seems to be present in the ideas of Neil Blomkamp.

ikarop

ikarop

No, the image of the proto facehugger is Prometheus fan art. It has nothing to do with Neil Blomkamp (other than the guy who made it being seemly obsessed with him?) but he reposted it today without giving much explanation.

In the other images Neil Blomkamp posted you can see that at least the biomechanical suit one dates from March, 2014.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Favorite Concept Art. Very reminiscent of Resurrection

Dammmnn. Why doesn't anyone from 20th Century Fox want to do a Alien 5. This doesn't make any sense. I'd choose this over Prometheus any day. This looks way more badass. It would be nice to see Sigourney Weaver again and to bring old Michael Biehn back would be something. Why doesn't 20th Century Fox green light this stuff? Sigourney Weaver stated in a interview that she's been talking to some directors about taking the story further. This shit is giving me goosebumps.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Jan 02, 2015, 10:47:35 AM
Rakai said in the petition thread that Fox is too heavily invested in "Prometheus" to even consider this and, sadly, I'd be inclined to agree with him. The only "out" I can think of is that Ridders has stated many times that "Prometheus" shares the same DNA as "Alien" but isn't "Alien."  So, to kick up Rakai's old ant-hill, could it be considered as AU or sidequel? In the same way that "Soldier" was to "Blade Runner."

Russ, I have to say that I am genuinely flattered that you like my whole AU approach to things. I really think that there are some AU's going on within the franchises similarly to how the Godzilla, Halloween and Highlander franchises have that going on, even if such aren't mentioned in-universe. Really, it does my heart good to see another fan accepting of that.

In regards to Prometheus, and Blomkamp's would be Alien project and making comparisons to Soldier and Blade Runner.. It's really hard to say to what is going on anymore with the franchise as far as continuity and canon is concerned. So far it seems that Prometheus is the Status Quo right now. Fox is too invested in it financially and creatively to just let it go and return to Alien. Infact, I'm even going to say that they've put the Alien to pasture and are leaving it only active as far as EU material is concerned. But as far as prequels and sidequels go, well... Fans can choose what they like at the moment (I say at the moment because so far Fox has to release a statement on what is canon and isn't) to what serves as a prequel (AvP or Prometheus) or what is a spin-off and a sequel. It's open to interpretation.. for now.

In the case of Soldier and Blade Runner.. I know that Anderson had set it to be in the same universe as Blade Runner according to interviews, but I would say that's something.. unofficially linked together. Looking at the Wikipedia page, it's probably best to look at Soldier as a spiritual sequel and something unofficially linked, despite having heavy references of Blade Runner in the movie.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2015, 10:57:47 AM
On the other, Hicks is dead, stop trying to shoe-horn him back into the franchise because of the crying fanboys. Look how well that went in ACM.

Retcons, retcons and more retcons.. I sort of feel your pain there, Burne (can I call you Burne?). I think the Alien franchise is suffering from a narrative and story telling stand-point because of the major retcons which are going on that Fox is rather.. taking a pro-active approach towards. I maybe more of a Predator fan but for something like Aliens: Colonial Marines to be held high as film canon despite the sloppy retcons which it introduced is very jarring. I'll be the first to say that Hicks is a very cool character, and that maybe he shouldn't have died in Alien 3 but Alien 3 came and went.. for those of us who liked it-- we have a cool movie to add to our films. For those of us who hated Alien 3... Do what you need to do to cope with it but the fact of the matter is, it's here and it exist and it ain't going anywhere.. For now anyway.

What's more jarring than Alien: Colonial Marines is the fact that Fox had considered and almost went through with retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection. The fact that Christopher Golden had to talk to them into changing their minds suggest that they were ready to effectively re-write the Alien side of things as far as the Alien-Predator franchise is concerned. The question is.. How were they going to do it?

As I said before, the franchise is SUFFERING because of the retcons. A retcon in film format would perhaps not be the best idea because erasing Alien 3 and Resurrection out of canon would... really be hard. Those two films can't just be hand waved away, they can't be just ignored (sure they could but.. ignoring something DOESN'T make it go away). The whole "Ripley's Nightmare",  while a desperate fan solution to erasing those movie is seemingly wanted even after TWENTY THREE YEARS, is definitely a cop-out and perhaps a bad move and direction for a franchise to go.

No more retcons. I'm getting done with them.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: ikarop on Jan 02, 2015, 07:22:48 PM
No, the image of the proto facehugger is Prometheus fan art. It has nothing to do with Neil Blomkamp (other than the guy who made it being seemly obsessed with him?) but he reposted it today without giving much explanation.

In the other images Neil Blomkamp posted you can see that at least the biomechanical suit one dates from March, 2014.

Apparently my eyesight is failing me :p you're right about the date

But while all this looks very prometheus, you know, the idea of biomechanical suits. Of course it is only art concept, but it gives an idea of where they were going.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2015, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMExactly, anyone who enjoyed X-Men Days of Future Past can attest to that as it essentially rebooted the series while taking it in a new direction.

Except time travel fits in with a silly comic book film. A serious Alien universe, it does not.

Quote from: viendammage on Jan 02, 2015, 04:39:35 PMNobody complained much when Prof X came back w no explanation of his death/return.

Speak for yourself, crap like that annoys the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "Screw it, the audience are idiots, we don't need to explain it, they'll just accept it."

Only there totally is an explanation for Prof.X's return. It's at the end of X-Men: 3 TSL

Vrastal

The suit thing looks.. silly and i dont much care for the "vagina" egg/hugger thing. I would love to see a new Aliens, preferably with new characters, but the egg looks like it would fit in prometheus.

As bad ass as ripley is i want her story to end, no more memory wipe bs like in out of shadows or ancestry things. I loved out of shadows and sea of sorrows but enough is enough.

One last film to finish her story, i know Weaver really wants to do another one now. Then new characters and stories. Unless they can pull some amazing plot off and make ripleys story last in a way that makes sense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed