Alien Anthology - Is It Worth It?

Started by WheresMahGum, Dec 10, 2010, 06:34:48 PM

Author
Alien Anthology - Is It Worth It? (Read 14,562 times)

WheresMahGum

Well, I came across it on Amazon recently,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292005929&sr=8-1

And im Just a bit curious, I have the 4 films on VHS and DVD, and There is the noticeable quality difference between the two, so im wondering, How much of a quality difference is there between the DVD edition and this Blu Ray edition?

And also, what Exclusive extras are on it, stuff that has never been seen before?

Uncanny Antman

Answer to question 1 is "Yes".
Answer to question 2 is "Too many to list here without serious effort."  There are dozens of in-depth reviews you could check out for details like that. 

Suffice to say, it isn't quite the leap that was between the VHS and DVD releases, but it comes damn close.

Sharp Sticks

Affirmative.

SM

SM

Alien and Aliens are vastly superior in terms of picture and sound quality.  Alien is almost like watching a new film.  Resurrection got seriously shafted and I haven't looked at Alien3 yet.

In terms of extras, there's around 5 hours in the Enhancement Pods that seem to be mostly outtakes from Quadrilogy docos.  The Alien3 doco is restored to it's original form.  The 6th disk has a number of snippets - like the Nostromo computer graphics and the crew dossiers behind Ripley at the enquiry in Aliens.  A lot of the other extras seemed to have already been presented elsewhere.

Plus theres the menus that nicked lots of stuff from my website.   ;D

DragonBossk

Damn its already down to £24.99 a mere couple of months since release on amazon, very good value.

I haven't even finished everything on disc 6 yet, you certainly get your moneys worth of video footage.

alienfan95610

Yes, it is worth it. I felt like it had paid for itself after viewing Alien, let alone anything else included in the set.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2010, 11:51:14 PM
Plus theres the menus that nicked lots of stuff from my website.   ;D

Linky no worky mate.

And yes, it's a definate puchase. Shame on you for even questioning it  :D

SM

Vulhala

Vulhala

QuoteWhile an attempt has been made to incorporate Aliens versus Predator comics/ novels/ games, Predator-only sources have been ignored.

Good...Gooooood  :D

predxeno

If you buy the Limited Edition version, you also get a $50 gift card for Sideshow Collectibles featuring the Alien Anthology artwork on it.

MrLee

MrLee

Personally i found it very disappointing, "Aliens" doesn't look anywhere near as good as i was expecting it too the way James Cameron said he had personally remastered it. Compare it to the Predator Blu-Ray, which is razor sharp and clean looking, im very disappointed that "Aliens" is still real grainy.

Quote from: MrLee on Dec 26, 2010, 01:05:45 PM
Personally i found it very disappointing, "Aliens" doesn't look anywhere near as good as i was expecting it too the way James Cameron said he had personally remastered it. Compare it to the Predator Blu-Ray, which is razor sharp and clean looking, im very disappointed that "Aliens" is still real grainy.

predator has the advantage of being quite a brightly lit movie, set in the lush green jungle. Aliens is a for a large part dimly lit movie, set in grey corridors on a grey planet. bright movies just have a lot less grain to start with.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Say that quietly.

DNR Haters may be around. *Shivers*

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: AvatarIII on Dec 26, 2010, 02:16:28 PM

predator has the advantage of being quite a brightly lit movie, set in the lush green jungle. Aliens is a for a large part dimly lit movie, set in grey corridors on a grey planet. bright movies just have a lot less grain to start with.
i dunno man...did you see how bad those old DVD versions of Predator were?

i had the one case double (P1 n 2) and the quality of Predator was appauling!

So the Blu-Ray was one hell of a transition.

Uncanny Antman

Yeah man, totally.  Hopefully soon they will stop releasing older movies without first scrubbing away all the fine detail.  I can't stand that stuff.  If the textures don't look waxy, I'm not buying!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed