Full Screen or Widescreen?

Started by Predator Collector, Jul 14, 2010, 08:01:48 AM

Do you prefer to watch movies on DVD in Full Screen or Widescreen format and why?

Full Screen
Widescreen
Author
Full Screen or Widescreen? (Read 9,300 times)

blackpredator5

blackpredator5

Wide Screen nothing else compares and has to be blu ray

alienfan95610

alienfan95610

Wide screen...end of story. Pan and scan (fullscreen) can most times entirely change what the director intended you to see.

stw1984

stw1984

Widescreen all the way.  I work at a retail store and I use to have people yell at me about why Full Screen is better (they actually argued that Widescreen cut off the picture).

SM

SM

Quote from: scorpio95628 on Jul 19, 2010, 09:34:01 PM
Wide screen...end of story. Pan and scan (fullscreen) can most times entirely change what the director intended you to see.

Predator being a prime example where you clearly and laughbly see Carl Weathers' arm after it's just been supposedly shot off.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2010, 10:08:30 AM

Predator being a prime example where you clearly and laughbly see Carl Weathers' arm after it's just been supposedly shot off.

Except in the Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu Ray...

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

My favorite is always widescreen.

-alienhunter14

SM

SM

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 20, 2010, 12:43:52 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2010, 10:08:30 AM

Except in the Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu Ray...

Don't think you can see it on any DVD version.  Only the old Full Screen VHS/ TV versions

Cellien

Cellien

The question for me has always been about aspect ratio.  Like 1:85:1 or 2:39:1.  At home, I always wanted 1:85:1 or 1:78:1 because that is  very close to HDTVs.  2:39:1 was somewhat annoying because now you have this widescreen TV but it's even wider causing black bars again.  Overall, yes I'd rather see in original aspect, just the black bars would be a bit annoying.

Now that I have a projector, I really don't care at all.  The only thing that still annoys me is when you have movies like the Abyss where they call it widescreen, but its actually 4:3 (non-anamorphic) with black bars at the top and bottom... and worst of all its STRETCHED!  You have to manually adjust for the stretching which means a seriously ugly picture.

SM

SM

They'd have to fix that for a BR release.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

We're plains animals. We evolved looking out on panoramas. Anything less is an insult to our scary-leopard-spotting peripheral vision.

SiL

SiL

Widescreen if I have the choice (Movies made prior to the 1950s were almost always shot 4x3).

DrGediman

DrGediman

My copy of Metropolis (the 1926 version) is 4:3 and there are no black bars at the sides, and I have a standard widescreen hdtv.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Anything other than original aspect ratio is not worth my time or money.

4x3, 1:85:1 and 2:35:1 are all fine and dandy, so long as that is the ratio they were shot in.

Pan & Scan is an abomination.  Same with WB's recent practice of cropping their Looney Tunes to 1:85:1.   New aspect ration?  No sale.

Quote from: DrGediman on Sep 12, 2010, 04:53:44 AM
My copy of Metropolis (the 1926 version) is 4:3 and there are no black bars at the sides, and I have a standard widescreen hdtv.
That means your settings are wrong.  The picture is either getting cropped or squashed.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

More likely it's just stretched.

DrGediman

DrGediman

It doesn't bother me, I don't mind full screen as long as it's not pan and scan. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed