Full Screen or Widescreen?

Started by Predator Collector, Jul 14, 2010, 08:01:48 AM

Do you prefer to watch movies on DVD in Full Screen or Widescreen format and why?

Full Screen
Widescreen
Author
Full Screen or Widescreen? (Read 9,295 times)

Predator Collector

Although we all grew up originally watching most VHS movies in full screen format, now many DVDs are available in widescreen format which preserves the original theatrical composition. I myself prefer widescreen. Besides, if I don't like the black bars, I can just zoom in using my remote control and get rid of them. I voted for widescreen.

PredalienXenomorph

(Don't think this thread is in the right area) Fullscreen.

Predator Collector

Sorry if its in the wrong area. If you're a moderator reading this and feel that it should be elsewhere, please move it.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I'll watch it in full screen if they can manage to keep the aspect ratio of the widescreen version.

SM

SM

Given a choice, I can't see why anyone would prefer full screen.  So much of the image gets cropped it's not funny.

Space Reaper

Space Reaper

I don't see the point in using Fullscreen anymore. It's horribly outdated, and Widescreen is the intended view of the picture. I don't mind the black bars- it gives a kind of cinematic feel. And besides, not all films have the black bars.

LLIT

LLIT

Fullscreen cuts too much of the shot off.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I'm fine with full-on letterboxed 2.39:1 films because you can easily change the viewing mode and reduce the size of the black bars, but films with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 can be annoying as zooming in may crop off quite a lot of the top and bottom along with the black bars (unless you have a TV which automatically sorts it out for you).

But my knowledge of aspect ratios is a little rusty.  :P

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

The golden ratio is more fitting to the widescreen viewing films so it is more appeasing to the eye. It is very scientific.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Widescreen hands  down. Fullscreen feels cramped to me. After I see a film in proper aspect, when I watch it fullscreen, I know something is missing, even for 1.85 films.
If you have a widescreen TV, that makes it even better.

if you watch ghostbusters on full screen its just wrong.

Predator Collector

Predator Collector

Full Screen was fine back in the old VHS rental days and some people still prefer it, but I agree with you Space Reaper that widescreen gives you a kind of cinematic feel.

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jul 15, 2010, 04:34:09 PMBut my knowledge of aspect ratios is a little rusty.  :P

Below is a link to an informative website about aspect ratios:
http://events.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html

Enjoy! :)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Thanks, that's actually a pretty good explanation. Interesting how one full screen format crops loads off the picture while another doesn't. 

depends, if the TV has a good aspect ratio so i won't lose too much at the sides i'll watch full screen, but on an old 4:3 you lose so much by doing fullscreen you have to put up with the bars, or else you'll lose so much stuff!

botched

botched

Wide screen Nothing less.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed