Neill Blomkamp's 'Alien 5' had Elysium Production Designer Lined up for Pre-Production

Started by RidgeTop, Jan 02, 2018, 10:49:35 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's 'Alien 5' had Elysium Production Designer Lined up for Pre-Production (Read 23,739 times)

JungleHunter87

It seems there is some (not much beyond hearsay) merit to the argument that Scott politiced Alien 5 into permanent cryosleep. It's a shame really, because now the whole series is at risk of being shelved for a period of time. Due to Covenant not being a resounding success. I hope Blomkamp's ALIEN 5 can find traction again. No matter the incarnation, with old or new characters.

I know of more than a few people I spoke to, who in the lead up too Covenant, were absolutely sure. That because A L I E N was in the title, it was a pure A L I E N/ALIENS sequel. Not Prometheus meets A L I E N, which they didn't seem too enjoy the idea of.

JokersWarPig

I still think it's a shame Blomkamp didn't get chosen over Ridley, especially considering the crap that was Covenant.
Maybe we'll get something similar to what Blomkamp had wanted to do some day now that Ridley (doesn't seem to be) involved anymore since the franchise has changed hands.

MovieFan

Neill Blomkamp just reconfirmed AGAIN the film is dead.
So leave it at that. 

There's only two paths for the next Alien project:

A. Scott gets to make DAVID and close off his storyline (which is superior to whatever shoot-em-up-retcon-things-and-cast-Sharlto-Copley-as-Weyland-Jr nonsense he was gonna do)

B. Disney turns the Alien franchise into an Anthology series for their streaming service in 2019. 

That's it.

Adam802

Even those who hate the idea of Blomkamp's alien movie must still see that Ridley's prequels are garbage.  Anything would be better then what we've been getting.

Perfect-Organism

If Sigoutney Weaver reprises her role as Ripley, post Aliens, it's going to be gangbusters!  This is the way to go!  Sure money.  Keep in mind Ripley will be riding high on the supposed success of Avatar 2..

brokentusk420

Thank you Scott!! You saved this franchise from becoming another transformer-esque pile of garbage. 

Scorpio

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Jan 02, 2018, 11:26:47 PM
Thank you Scott!! You saved this franchise from becoming another transformer-esque pile of garbage.

It seems that's what many people want, unfortunately.

Gash

Quote from: Adam802 on Jan 02, 2018, 10:12:49 PM
Even those who hate the idea of Blomkamp's alien movie must still see that Ridley's prequels are garbage.  Anything would be better then what we've been getting.

Give it a rest.

SM

Brzrkr

Quote from: Adam802 on Jan 02, 2018, 10:12:49 PM

No.

BishopShouldGo

Whatever happened to just wanting a good entry no matter who it came from and where in the timeline it fits.

Huggs

"I still think that Scott can make an amazing Alien movie, he just needs a good writer who.....has a backbone strong enough to tell Scott when one of his ideas isn't that great or unique"

In other words, someone who's not afraid to get fired and blackballed?  ;D In all seriousness, no disrespect to Mr. Scott, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of director who will take criticism very well at this stage of his career. Perhaps he thinks that he has made enough successful films and money to know perfectly well what is the best way to proceed all on his own. I don't see Ridley compromising his vision in the future.

"Whatever happened to just wanting a good entry no matter who it came from and where in the timeline it fits."

I can't say with any degree of certainty, but it most likely went the way of Xbox VS PlayStation, Ford vs Chevy, ect. ect. The prequels have created a new level of division. Those that like them, feel we're on the right track. Those that dislike them, feel we've lost years of potentially good Alien films, and the future remains bleak. Regardless of where one lands in that debate, it seems unrealistic to expect we'll ever see a film like the first two again, where they were significantly different in tone and style from each other, yet still managed to deliver a positive experience for a large portion of the fans. Whatever happens from here, it's just out of our hands.

I do hope I get to see an actual Alien film of the older quality at some point in my lifetime though, but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore. And I do think it would be good form to let somebody else make the kind of Alien film for the fans who don't like the prequels. There should be alittle something for everyone at the table.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 03, 2018, 07:00:29 PM
Whatever happened to just wanting a good entry no matter who it came from and where in the timeline it fits.

I agree that a good entry regardless of where it came from or where it fits in the timeline is a desirable thing.  However there are certain actors who have been st the core of the best moments of the series whose days in the industry are regrettably becoming few with the merciless march of time.  If ever there is to be another film with these talented actors, the time for that is now.  There is plenty of time for other films, won't you agree?

Alionic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 03, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
I do hope I get to see an actual Alien film of the older quality at some point in my lifetime though, but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore.

Disney is going to put out your nostalgia Alien film within five years, guaranteed. Calm down with the doom and gloom.

And there's a button for quoting posts, dude.

Scorpio

Yeah Disney is going to 'Force Awakens' Alien and the fans are going to love it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed