"Humanized" Predators

Started by DUB1, May 11, 2015, 01:48:07 PM

Author
"Humanized" Predators (Read 1,673 times)

happypred

happypred

It really depends on the extent to which they're humanised

For instance, one pred might challenge another pred to a death duel over a perceived insult. Human warriors did that in the past. Predators believe that it's only right for weak predators to die on challenging hunts. Spartans believed in weeding out weak individuals (during training and battles).

The predators belong to a tribal warrior society. It's almost inevitable that the practices and mindsets of certain real-world human warrior societies are the inspiration behind predator society.

What I would object to is making the predators mundane or too sympathetic. I'm against predator office workers or kind-hearted predator "prey rights" activists. Predator society should still be distinct from human society. Individually, predators should still think somewhat differently from how humans think.   

The predators are semi-human in that they're intelligent "tool folk" with certain human-like motivations and emotions. I don't want them to become fully human.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: happypred on Jun 15, 2015, 02:59:29 PM
It really depends on the extent to which they're humanised

For instance, one pred might challenge another pred to a death duel over a perceived insult. Human warriors did that in the past. Predators believe that it's only right for weak predators to die on challenging hunts. Spartans believed in weeding out weak individuals (during training and battles).

The predators belong to a tribal warrior society. It's almost inevitable that the practices and mindsets of certain real-world human warrior societies are the inspiration behind predator society.

What I would object to is making the predators mundane or too sympathetic. I'm against predator office workers or kind-hearted predator "prey rights" activists. Predator society should still be distinct from human society. Individually, predators should still think somewhat differently from how humans think.   

The predators are semi-human in that they're intelligent "tool folk" with certain human-like motivations and emotions. I don't want them to become fully human.

So much this, you win the Internets, happypred... this is exactly how the Predators should be.

There are always human traits to find in the Predators, yet they are very different in the way they operate. It is inevitable that we use inspirations from our own culture and practices to add to the Predators such as using hunting dogs and falcons even.

Yet, I too don't like the idea of "prey rights" Predators. I don't mind if one clan disagrees with something, like in one of the NECA toys backgrounds where a Predator Elder (of the "Black Super Predators") disagreed with the whole "teaching humans how to build" as he felt that it added too much value on prey, and this caused a blood feud between his clan and the classics that lasts well into modern times.

See, that is fine. I don't want to see no Predator crowd protesting and going "humans have feelings too!" That would make them way too human.

They are relatable and familiar to us and still, yet very different.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed