ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,937 times)

Engineer

Fair enough. I still find it clever as hell that Titan's third book was named "river of pain" and Acheron translates to "river of pain or hades!" :-)

HuDaFuK

Not necessarily clever, just intentional. I'm sure they knew what they were doing there.

janenad

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Aug 24, 2015, 03:56:42 PM
As some people mentioned before, it could be used for the creation of a queen facehugger bearing egg instead of that uncreative hormone storm thing.

To be honest, I have nothing against the idea of eggmorphing creating a queen facehugger egg. But I also like the idea of a single drone morphing into a queen, both ideas are just as plausible and interesting in my opinion. I think the franchise needs one of these two ideas to be presented in a movie or one of these new novels. Because we still don't have all the facts for the creation of a queen, though Out of the Shadows and Sea of Sorrows did mention queen facehugger eggs. But the question arises: what if a single drone is isolated somewhere? Can it start a hive by one the previous two methods?
I think it should be able to, because then even a single alien is a great danger if left unsupervised. Why not? When a single alien is away from a Queen it will eggmorph someone to become a queen facehugger egg and a bunch of other people to become normal drone eggs as a type of a guard for the new Queen until she matures and starts laying her own. Then the eggmorphing will stop because the Queens method doesn't waist bodies to become eggs but hosts themselves, severally multiplying the brood.

I think SM proposed this idea and I really like it.

Doctor Ash

That's an interesting idea!

SM

I came up with the idea in 1988.  But it's certainly not "my idea".  Others have come to the same conclusion completely independently.

As for the 'waste of hosts', there's nothing to stop an Alien morphing its former host into an egg as an added twist to the 'eggmorph = Queen hugger' theory.

Doctor Ash

I just wish there wasn't such an reluctance from the artists and authors to take these ideas finally at least in the novels and comics. What do they have to lose by bringing it in?

SM

30 years of established continuity.

Xenomrph

Eh, the AvPR bluray supplementals (of all things) made a pretty effortless and logical inclusion of it.

I was really hoping Alien: Isolation would include some sort of nod to eggmorphing.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 25, 2015, 07:19:04 AM
Eh, the AvPR bluray supplementals (of all things) made a pretty effortless and logical inclusion of it.

I don't own AvPR. What did it say?

QuoteI was really hoping Alien: Isolation would include some sort of nod to eggmorphing.

I was expecting it. Kind of disappointed it wasn't but I understood their logic for it.

Doctor Ash

Was there more about it on Blueray than on DVD? I only own the DVD Version.

SM

I think the Weyland Yutani Archive was only on the Blu-ray.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 25, 2015, 07:29:52 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 25, 2015, 07:19:04 AM

I don't own AvPR. What did it say?
It just mentions it as an alternate reproductive method to create a Queen-producing egg/facehugger when a Queen isn't already present. I mean, it makes perfect sense to me. :)

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Aug 25, 2015, 07:42:41 AM
Was there more about it on Blueray than on DVD? I only own the DVD Version.
The bluray has the "Weyland Yutani Archive", a supplemental feature that goes through the Alien and Predator movies (and some of the EU) and talks about locations, creature biology, other fun stuff.

Doctor Ash

It would be so easy to use this in stories. But no, the queen or the eggs are always there... (-:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2015, 08:00:24 AM
I think the Weyland Yutani Archive was only on the Blu-ray.

Is that the one Mike was in?

SM

SM

No Mike's in the Science of the Xenomorph featurette (and he pops in briefly in Science of the Yautja too).  The WY Archive is like a text database (with some pics and video clips) of info that you navigate around with the arrows on your remote.  Had to buy the blu-ray recently and that aspect is fairly decent.  Nothing revelatory, but some effort we into it - considering the film it shares a disk with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed