ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 387,004 times)

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 20, 2015, 09:55:47 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 20, 2015, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 20, 2015, 02:39:33 PM
For what it's worth, I think ACM might have explicitly said his first name was William...

But regardless, that was always the first name I've known to be assigned to him because all the other Marines (except Hicks) similarly steal the actor's first name. I just assumed it had been changed for the book. It was only when SM mentioned having someone named after him that it clicked.

After that, I guessed it was either Gorman who was named for SM, or S. D. Perry was secretly a Thin Lizzy fan and it was a subtle nod to Scott Gorham :P

Did ACM say Gorman's name was William?!? Shite! That's probably where I got it from! Damn you ACM! Filling my head with false-canon! Lol :-)

Thou shall not worship false-canon, for it is the work of the Pitchfork.

Lol. This made my day! :-)

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 21, 2015, 09:30:17 AM
I have no idea. I've only been working on the site for a couple of years, and when I joined it was literally full of unsourced b.s. (that name being just one of those things). I've done my best to tidy things up but there's still quite a lot that I just haven't had the time/knowledge to fix.
What sort of stuff? Shoot me a PM or something, I might be able to help.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 21, 2015, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 21, 2015, 09:30:17 AM
I have no idea. I've only been working on the site for a couple of years, and when I joined it was literally full of unsourced b.s. (that name being just one of those things). I've done my best to tidy things up but there's still quite a lot that I just haven't had the time/knowledge to fix.

I think it is a name from a Joseph Conrad story, but I'm happy to stand corrected. Perhaps someone more familiar with his books might be able to confirm?
As far as I can tell, it was made up wholesale by the internet. Googling "calpamos" brings up endless references to the Alien/AvP wikis, and googling "calpamos conrad" brings up nothing relevant.

But A:CM inadvertently canonized it (which I find pretty funny), and at the end of the day I'm okay with that.

Engineer

I'm not gonna lie... The wiki site fooled me! I thought calpamos was legit. I figured it was referenced from the colonial marines technical manual or the movie novelizations or something else I haven't read yet... Lol.

I never caught that ACM references calpamos though! That's kind of funny.

But I have to admit, I actually really like the name, and I kind of hope it sticks!

locusta

Quote from: Deacs1973 on Aug 21, 2015, 11:57:52 AM
Hi guys - just to report on the excellent service I had from Sideshow Collectables - I ordered the book on a Saturday here in the UK and on the Thursday (5 days in Sunday) my package arrived - i certainly didn't expect it to arrive that quick -the packaging was first class with a box in a box in a box with polystyrene as well and that was before you got to the actual book packaging  - I haven't had chance to read it yet but my first impressions are its very well done - i will put my thoughts on once I have time to digest it fully - Great work Guys

Thanks allot. Hope You enjoy it and please feel free to share Your thoughts here if You like. Cheers.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 04:50:39 AMBut I have to admit, I actually really like the name, and I kind of hope it sticks!

It apparently has, because Fire and Stone used it.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 22, 2015, 03:26:49 AMWhat sort of stuff? Shoot me a PM or something, I might be able to help.

Nothing in particular that immediately springs to mind, you're probably better off just browsing the site. The EU articles in particular are a mess, but I'm almost completely ignorant as far as that goes. But by all means chip in if you want, the help would be appreciated!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 22, 2015, 03:26:49 AM
As far as I can tell, it was made up wholesale by the internet. Googling "calpamos" brings up endless references to the Alien/AvP wikis, and googling "calpamos conrad" brings up nothing relevant.

Yeah, looks like I was thinking of the word Galapagos not Calpamos.  :-[

But the closest we have to an official name for the gas giant is Epsilon from the Spaihts Engineers script. At least that is propably a little bit more canon than acm.  :P

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Is there something about eggmorphing in this book?
I hated how they ignored it in the new novel series until now.

Engineer

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 22, 2015, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 22, 2015, 03:26:49 AM

Yeah, looks like I was thinking of the word Galapagos not Calpamos.  :-[

But the closest we have to an official name for the gas giant is Epsilon from the Spaihts Engineers script. At least that is propably a little bit more canon than acm.  :P
Are you sure "epsilon" was in reference to the planet? There's a star, or rather a number of stars, with epsilon in thier name. I'm wondering if they had a different star system in mind before settling on zeta II reticuli. I recall reading somewhere that zeta was used in alien because there was a little bit of a media frenzy around it after a woman claimed to be abducted by little green men who were from a planet in the zeta II reticuli system.

http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/the-truth-about-zeta-reticuli.html

There's a little bit about alien and Dan O'Bannon's script towards the bottom of this page. It's really hard to find a reputable source on this; most sites that spend any time talking about the media frenzy around the star system at this time, are all conspiracy theorists who claim to be "ufologists" :-o

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 02:47:10 PM
Are you sure "epsilon" was in reference to the planet? There's a star, or rather a number of stars, with epsilon in thier name. I'm wondering if they had a different star system in mind before settling on zeta II reticuli.

A few quotes from Spaihts script.

QuoteINT. MAGELLAN - BRIDGE
Outside the vast Bridge window, the star Zeta2 Reticuli
burns, a cold beacon in the night.

QuoteA heads-up display appears, overlaid on the glass. The sun is
labeled ZETA2 RETICULI.

QuoteGot a hit! A moon. LV-426.
The display centers on Epsilon, a gas giant with many moons.
Data flickers around one of the larger moons: LV-426.

QuoteEXT. MAGELLAN (ZETA2 RETICULI SYSTEM)
The Magellan retracts its vast antennae and telescopes.
The engines fire: the ship rockets toward the gas giant
Epsilon and its mysterious moon.

Engineer

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 22, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 02:47:10 PM
Are you sure "epsilon" was in reference to the planet? There's a star, or rather a number of stars, with epsilon in thier name. I'm wondering if they had a different star system in mind before settling on zeta II reticuli.

A few quotes from Spaihts script.

QuoteINT. MAGELLAN - BRIDGE
Outside the vast Bridge window, the star Zeta2 Reticuli
burns, a cold beacon in the night.

QuoteA heads-up display appears, overlaid on the glass. The sun is
labeled ZETA2 RETICULI.

QuoteGot a hit! A moon. LV-426.
The display centers on Epsilon, a gas giant with many moons.
Data flickers around one of the larger moons: LV-426.

QuoteEXT. MAGELLAN (ZETA2 RETICULI SYSTEM)
The Magellan retracts its vast antennae and telescopes.
The engines fire: the ship rockets toward the gas giant
Epsilon and its mysterious moon.
Interesting! Yep that makes it pretty clear! :-)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 04:50:39 AM
I'm not gonna lie... The wiki site fooled me! I thought calpamos was legit. I figured it was referenced from the colonial marines technical manual or the movie novelizations or something else I haven't read yet... Lol.

I never caught that ACM references calpamos though! That's kind of funny.

But I have to admit, I actually really like the name, and I kind of hope it sticks!
Yeah, the closest the USCM Tech Manual comes to giving the planet a name is "Zeta 2 Reticuli IV" (being the 4th planet orbiting Zeta 2 Reticuli).

Out of curiosity, does the W-Y Report use the Calpamos name?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 03:00:15 PM

Epsilon works because LV-426 was later renamed Archeron. Since Archeron is a Greek word it would make sense that it's parent body would also have a Greek name.

I cannot seem to trace the etymology of Calpamos. It sounds Greek but it could also just be a made-up word.

Doctor Ash

Is eggmorphing mentioned in the WY Report?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 22, 2015, 04:37:52 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 03:00:15 PM

Epsilon works because LV-426 was later renamed Archeron. Since Archeron is a Greek word it would make sense that it's parent body would also have a Greek name.

I cannot seem to trace the etymology of Calpamos. It sounds Greek but it could also just be a made-up word.

To me, I feel the opposite about it. Epsilon is Greek, yes, but it's actually a Greek letter which is more commonly the designation used for stars. For example, alpha centari, zeta reticuli, beta pictoris, epsilon eridani, etc... The planets, in our solar system anyway, are all named after Greek and roman gods. I don't know what or where calpamos came from either. I'm not even sure if it was a real word/name before it was given to the planet in alien, but it sounds more fitting for a planet name to me than epsilon does.

PS. I just found this and thought it was interesting. Archeron (Greek, we knew that) is "the river of pain or hades." I never new that, to be honest. Now, I appreciate the title of Titan's third book more! :-)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 22, 2015, 04:30:08 PMOut of curiosity, does the W-Y Report use the Calpamos name?

I honestly can't remember. But it's used in both Fire and Stone and River of Pain, so it's clearly been adopted.

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Aug 22, 2015, 04:40:04 PMIs eggmorphing mentioned in the WY Report?

I seem to remember and oblique reference to it but nothing obvious or detailed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed