Flaws of Isolation

Started by Kradan, Mar 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Author
Flaws of Isolation (Read 29,575 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Isolation's gameplay is what killed it for me.

I absolutely hate the hide in locker for five minutes every thirty second games.  It's not scary, it is f**king annoying.

The worldbuilidng was top notch, and the story was pretty good all things considering. 

I rate it still an 8, but 8 is for the worldbuilding alone.  What could have been the best Alien game of all time, is killed by just sitting around, waiting for the always present Alien AI to f**k off so you can actually progress more than 30 feet before repeating the process. 

Kradan

Kradan

I guess, many people enjoyed sitting in lockers for five minutes. Myself included

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 14, 2020, 11:25:34 AM
Some elements of Isolation I don't get:

1. Why Company would want Amanda on the station in the first place? How can she be useful ? All she did is interfered with Company's plans. Why such generosity ? And why they sent "good" android with her ? I understand it in Aliens because Burk acted on his own (at least movie presents it that way - I don't care what TCF says about the matter) and Bishop is likely military's property not Company's. But in Isolation Company clearly wants Xenos - so why not send android with hidden directives ?

There's an underlying story thread in the stories subsequent to Aliens about synthetics gaining independence and acting on their own behalf, so it definitely seems like Samuels was sincere and acting out of compassion for Amanda when he discovered her file. I think he and Taylor were already booked and ready to go and Amanda was added at the last minute. By the time of the Torrens departure the company didn't have confirmation yet that there were actual living specimens onboard, so the stakes weren't high enough yet for them to disapprove of Amanda's inclusion, if they did suspect then they may have seen Amanda as a loose end and potential liability that would be taken care of if an outbreak were to occur. Regardless, shortly after the Torres crew went into hypersleep the company did receive confirmation of specimens aboard and almost immediately purchased the station and uploaded the 900 series directives into Apollo, locking down the station. Everything pretty much went to hell while The Torrens crew slept.

2. How the f**k that facehugger got on board of Anesidora if Marlow wanted to destroy Xenos so much? If he wanted to sell it he should've just fly away. Did it come on the shuttle with him ? Then why he wasn't facehugged the moment he landed on the ship?

Marlow's wife Foster got facehugged back on the derelict, the Anesidora booked it to Sevastopol and Marlow got her aboard the station under false pretenses so the doctors aboard could possibly help her. Spoiler alert, they couldn't and the infestation began with her. It was after that that Marlow was locked up for intentionally circumventing contamination protocols and it was fosters death and the infestation of the station that drove Marlow over the edge just like Ellen went.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2020, 05:41:33 PM
I guess, many people enjoyed sitting in lockers for five minutes. Myself included

If that's your taste, good for you.

Would've been a whole lot better if the Alien wasn't ALWAYS around.  I enjoyed the game much more when it wasn't. 

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 15, 2020, 06:39:52 PM

Would've been a whole lot better if the Alien wasn't ALWAYS around.  I enjoyed the game much more when it wasn't.
It wasn't always around for me. Came and went randomly.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

PC supposedly has it modded. 

Higher difficulty on the console is maddening.  It is ALWAYS around except for story "safe" parts. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

I hardly even used the lockers, once in a while maybe and usually only have to wait a few moments. I can usually sneak around fairly easily with the distractions on hand.

I enjoyed the game play, was the most intense/stressful game I've played. My only gripe about the game is that it outstayed its welcome a bit. Just a tad too long.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 15, 2020, 06:39:52 PM

Personally., I think game did good job balancing Alien and non-Alien parts

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Some elements of Isolation I don't get:

1. Why Company would want Amanda on the station in the first place? How can she be useful ? All she did is interfered with Company's plans. Why such generosity ? And why they sent "good" android with her ? I understand it in Aliens because Burk acted on his own (at least movie presents it that way - I don't care what TCF says about the matter) and Bishop is likely military's property not Company's. But in Isolation Company clearly wants Xenos - so why not send android with hidden directives ?

It should also be noted that it's very likely the Company sent two ships. One official, the Torrens, and a decidedly unofficial ship directly afterward. Space is really huge and in the Alien universe, during this time, human travel takes weeks, if not months, to get anywhere. So arrivals that happen within a couple days of each other, to somewhere that's not an active busy hub, are not likely to be a coincidence.

It's left to our imagination who picks up Amanda from the wreckage at the end and eventually transports her and live xeno specimens to the WY genetic research station Mendel. But since she was picked up from the floating wreckage, on Dec 14th, just 3 eventful days after arriving at Sevastopol, we can probably assume she got picked up by a Company ship sent tailing the Torrens on silent running. Combing through the rubble to recover any viable specimens, they found not only full sized drones, but perhaps at least one egg as well as a barely living Amanda.

2. How the f**k that facehugger got on board of Anesidora if Marlow wanted to destroy Xenos so much? If he wanted to sell it he should've just fly away. Did it come on the shuttle with him ? Then why he wasn't facehugged the moment he landed on the ship?

I just realized you probably meant later on in the game when Ripley gets aboard the 'Dora. The only way It makes sense is that the lil scuttler stowed away with Marlow and Taylor. If the little dudes are walking around outside of their egg, I think they have to preserve their energy and get a little sneaky to ensure successful implantation of a host, so they probably naturally hide in some dark space when multiple creatures are free roaming around and only go for it if the host is either restrained, or isolated and alone.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SpaceKase on Aug 16, 2020, 05:42:50 PM

I just realized you probably meant later on in the game when Ripley gets aboard the 'Dora. The only way Incan figure is that the lil scuttler stowed away with Marlowe and Taylor. If the little dudes are walk-in around outside of their egg, I think they have to preserve their energy and get a little sneaky to ensure successful implantation of a host, so they probably naturally hide in some dark space when multiple creatures are around and only go for it if the host is either restrained or isolated and alone.

Yes

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 16, 2020, 01:37:01 AM
I hardly even used the lockers, once in a while maybe and usually only have to wait a few moments. I can usually sneak around fairly easily with the distractions on hand.

I enjoyed the game play, was the most intense/stressful game I've played. My only gripe about the game is that it outstayed its welcome a bit. Just a tad too long.

I used them sparingly, but I mostly just continually walked with the motion detector out and just backpedaled to and fro.

Equally annoying. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 17, 2020, 01:06:20 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 16, 2020, 01:37:01 AM

I used them sparingly, but I mostly just continually walked with the motion detector out and just backpedaled to and fro.

Equally annoying.

K, I thought you didn't like spending so much time in lockers.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 15, 2020, 03:39:12 PM
Isolation's gameplay is what killed it for me.

I absolutely hate the hide in locker for five minutes every thirty second games.  It's not scary, it is f**king annoying.

I'm thinking it's not so much a fault in the game as it is that you would just prefer a more traditional gameplay style.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 16, 2020, 01:30:24 AM
PC supposedly has it modded. 

Higher difficulty on the console is maddening.  It is ALWAYS around except for story "safe" parts.

Have you tried it on "easy" ?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't do easy.  My anger has to be deserved.

Kradan

Kradan

Well, then try it on "easy" first and then complain about frustrating gameplay, OK ? I mean, "hard" is supposed to be "frustrating", otherwise - what's the point of calling it "hard"?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed