Roy Scammell, Alien Stuntman and Suit Performer, Dies Age 88

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 20, 2021, 05:27:37 AM

Author
Roy Scammell, Alien Stuntman and Suit Performer, Dies Age 88 (Read 3,109 times)

Corporal Hicks

It is with great sadness that I am here to report that Roy Scammell, the stuntman best known for his work in the James Bond franchise but also one of only three performers to wear H.R Giger’s iconic Alien suit in the original Alien, has passed away. According to the Milton Keynes Citizen, Roy passed away at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital following an undisclosed short illness during the weekend.

His daughter, Karen Best, announced her father’s death. Speaking of Roy, Karen said:

"I am deeply saddened to announce the passing of my remarkable father. He was always such a role-model – and taught me that fear is just a word in the dictionary. He enjoyed the buzz of fear, the challenge it posed and he derived great satisfaction and kudos from his extraordinary performances. He always executed meticulous planning, leaving nothing to chance.

His incredible story will continue to inspire us all to face our fears, but especially the new arrivals in our family – his two great grandsons, Spencer and Archer, who are both already showing that Scammell action man attitude to life."

Alongside Badejo Balaji and Eddie Powell, Roy was one of three performers inside the Alien suit for Sir Ridley Scott’s original. All three have now passed away. Roy was responsible for filming the stunt work in which the Alien was ejected from the Narcissus during the climax of the film.

Roy was a regular at conventions in the United Kingdom and I once had the pleasure of meeting the man. He was an absolute gentleman. The thoughts of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy staff and community go out to Roy's family and friends. Rest in Peace, Roy.

Corporal Hicks

I met him at one of the London Film and Comic Cons and had hoped to get him on the show at some point. He was an absolute gent, and it's a shame we've never heard more from him about his time on Alien. I did come across this short interview on YouTube though. I haven't watched it yet myself, but here it is for others.

Elmazalman

Nice.

Some images I've never seen before, from the attack on Brett.

I think he also doubled for H. D. S. in his death scene? No mention of this in the interview.

R.I.P.

BigDaddyJohn

SM

Saw this on the Gerry Anderson FB page. Thought I recognised the name from Alien. Good innings.

BlueMarsalis79

The_Nostromo_Files

The video interview was cool. Great that he liked interacting with fans of his work. And so the circle gets a little smaller...

StrangeShape

Another one gone. One of the downsides of the time moving on unfortunately. At least he lived a full life and got to his senior years which is rarity nowadays

NetworkATTH

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed