Will Aliens, Alien 3 and A:R get 4K upscalings?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 03, 2019, 01:39:48 PM

Author
Will Aliens, Alien 3 and A:R get 4K upscalings? (Read 13,720 times)

Voodoo Magic

45 Minutes from popping, to 4.5 minutes, to 45 seconds from popping, it makes her sacrifice no more meaningful to me.

Knowing Hicks and Newt are alive somewhere while she's doing it, now we're talking.

And however one feels about it in film, Ripley restraining the burster against her as she falls to her death is quite the visual.(imo)

Voodoo Magic

Well not that fire, those effects... but put the visual in your head and presto! Quite a visual! ;D

The Old One

The Old One

"No."

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 15, 2019, 05:42:38 AM
I disagree, if Dwayne Hicks and Rebecca Jorden (Newt)'s alive- Ripley's personal attachment  renders the sacrifice simple, save the family. But dead and the comfort's absent.

It's difficult to do the right thing when you've something to fight for.
It's more difficult to do the right thing when you've nothing to fight for.

The effect's horrendous and rushed.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 15, 2019, 01:48:08 AM
Her sacrifice is more meaningful if she wasn't already seconds away from popping.

I've heard/read a lot of people agree with this... but for me personally, the theatrical version of the sacrifice scene is much more powerful, with her holding the alien/queen down as she falls... for me personally this just had more impact.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Mar 17, 2019, 02:17:05 AM
Her sacrifice is more meaningful if she wasn't already seconds away from popping.

I've heard/read a lot of people agree with this... but for me personally, the theatrical version of the sacrifice scene is much more powerful, with her holding the alien/queen down as she falls... for me personally this just had more impact.

Personally I have gone back and forth with this. Not in regards to it being any more meaningful if Ripley jumps at the time of popping or a hour before, because to me, it doesn't get any more emotional either way.  But just the imagery of Ripley using her last bit of strength to hold the buster against her, and take it down with her, and to almost appear at peace with it is indeed powerful.

So I can understand that point of view.  :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 14, 2019, 07:34:06 PM
The Theatrical Sacrifice is garbage fanservice, (Visual's awful) so- no.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 17, 2019, 02:45:54 AM
Quote from: Space_Dementia on Mar 17, 2019, 02:17:05 AM

Personally I have gone back and forth with this. Not in regards to it being any more meaningful if Ripley jumps at the time of popping or a hour before, because to me, it doesn't get any more emotional either way.  But just the imagery of Ripley using her last bit of strength to hold the buster against her, and take it down with her, and to almost appear at peace with it is indeed powerful.

So I can understand that point of view.  :)

Exactly that really, I did feel the image of her falling and holding the alien down with 'her last bit of strength' was just so much powerful and I actually still find it emotional still to this day.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 17, 2019, 03:02:09 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 14, 2019, 07:34:06 PM
The Theatrical Sacrifice is garbage fanservice, (Visual's awful) so- no.

I disagree with it being fan service,  for me it was a wise change, the AC version had no impact... though I will say I preferred the slower build up to her jumping actually, so there's certain moments I liked of the AC cut, id keep the buildup with extra shots of Weyland, but then keep the theatrical version of her falling. So half and half you could say.

The Old One

The Old One

It is fanservice. David Fincher declared so.
Spoiler

The light flickering is awful, Ripley ought to be writhing in pain and the bald cap is obvious.
Plus the cross fall symbolism is essential for writing home the film's themes. The theatrical sacrifice is inferior, narratively, thematically and visually.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 17, 2019, 07:49:02 PM
It is fanservice. David Fincher declared so.

David also declared his Alien a jaguar crossed with a freight train, which is nonsensical, soooo.... ;D

The Old One

The Old One

The personality.
And he's correct.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 17, 2019, 08:01:15 PM
The personality.
And he's correct.

Freight trains have personality?  ;D

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 12, 2019, 01:04:04 PM
we wanted it to be fast and big and powerful and dumb. A jaguar crossed with a freight train."
-David Fincher

Fast - Jaguars can run over 80 kilometers per hour

Big - Adult Jaguars are typically over 6 feet in length.

Powerful - Jaguars are incredibly strong and have the most powerful bite than any other cat on Earth.

Dumb - Is that where the freight train comes in? 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm guessing "freight train" is a reference to the impact it makes when it slams into its victims at high speeds.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, the impact- E.G; Alan Jude.

Local Trouble

Affirmative.

Voodoo Magic

Honestly a big powerful Jaguar could have the same slamming impact as a Runner, especially coming at you at 80 kilometers per hour, sooo....  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed