Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info)

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jun 11, 2012, 02:37:46 AM

Author
Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info) (Read 41,110 times)

thecaffeinatedone

The alien's like " :-[" and then he's like, "FALCO-PUUUNCH!"

Face Jockey

Contractually, the Blu Ray might be released as theatrical cut first, possibly with some extras, and then later the full cut. So Ridley cannot come out and directly say there will be the extended version for certain, or everyone will wait for the extended release and won't buy the film twice. This double dip is standard operating procedure and nobody's going to want to pass up that additional revenue.

Also after working on the film, Ridley will need a break to work on other things before coming back with fresh eyes and deciding what he ultimately consider as a definitive version. There's no way after working on something for a long time to really have that perspective.

I do feel some pretty important information is in the viral videos that would help somebody understand the film better. I'm not sure if I would have made as much sense of things on first viewing without seeing those beforehand. So I assume they would appear on any version of Blu Ray as an extra.

PRJ_since1990

I loved this movie. It doesn't have to answer every question one might have about it (Alien sure didn't, and that still has people brainstorming over 30 years later). Didn't think it was cut up or mashed into something terrible due to time constraints/Fox. If we all started immersing ourselves in movies and just letting our thoughts go for the duration, perhaps we can enjoy films again instead of always pretending to be critics on tv over-analysing every aspect.

atlantis

Spoken well, I totally agree

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 12, 2012, 06:17:10 AM
I loved this movie. It doesn't have to answer every question one might have about it (Alien sure didn't, and that still has people brainstorming over 30 years later). Didn't think it was cut up or mashed into something terrible due to time constraints/Fox. If we all started immersing ourselves in movies and just letting our thoughts go for the duration, perhaps we can enjoy films again instead of always pretending to be critics on tv over-analysing every aspect.

shinigami

If the Blu-ray release will be 20 min longer, I will get a mindblow. It surprised me greatly when Aliens got additional 20 min in the Special Edition and I loved it. Seeing additional 20 minutes to this movie sounds like music to my ears.

departedhero20

the statements contradict each other, no?
Quote:
You're going to do an extended cut on the Blu-ray/DVD. Is it a lot longer?

SCOTT: Twenty minutes.

So there's, like, twenty minutes that will be added back in for a longer version?

SCOTT: Maybe. But I'm so happy with this engine, the way it is right now. I think it's fine. I think it works

the interviewer assumes, that RS is doing an "extended cut" (ie roughly 20 mins longer than TC) ... he then asks, if RS will incorporate that +20mins into a longer version .. and RS answers "Maybe" .. but he's happy with it as it is ..

can anyone make any sense out of that?

I don't need a "deleted scenes" section in the BluRay Menu ... you need to have this stuff re-edited into a longer cut version of the movie !

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: departedhero20 on Jun 12, 2012, 01:19:04 PM
the statements contradict each other, no?
Quote:
You're going to do an extended cut on the Blu-ray/DVD. Is it a lot longer?

SCOTT: Twenty minutes.

So there's, like, twenty minutes that will be added back in for a longer version?

SCOTT: Maybe. But I'm so happy with this engine, the way it is right now. I think it's fine. I think it works

the interviewer assumes, that RS is doing an "extended cut" (ie roughly 20 mins longer than TC) ... he then asks, if RS will incorporate that +20mins into a longer version .. and RS answers "Maybe" .. but he's happy with it as it is ..

can anyone make any sense out of that?

I don't need a "deleted scenes" section in the BluRay Menu ... you need to have this stuff re-edited into a longer cut version of the movie !

Well the Director's cut wasn't Scott's preferred version either, I believe.  And neither is the longer one here.  Either he's just saying it for now, or he really feels that the theatrical version is definitive.  But just like with the ALIEN directors cut, that won't stop extra footage from being reinserted, re-edited, etc.

That's what I think.

departedhero20

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=44279.0

cott cut Prometheus down from two hours and 27 minutes to two hours and four minutes, which does mean there may be upwards of 23 minutes of deleted scenes. He has already said there won't be an extended cut, but extended scenes will be made available on the Blu-ray.

More info on the link above

TrixieVanSickle

I'm wondering how much control he will have over extended cuts?  Alien Resurrection's director seemed to adore his theatrical version and refused to call the extended cut a director's cut but they made it anyway.  Fox may be able to release any version they want, it's just a matter of Ridley being happy about it. 

LIG

Quote from: TrixieVanSickle on Jun 12, 2012, 08:38:17 PM
I'm wondering how much control he will have over extended cuts?  Alien Resurrection's director seemed to adore his theatrical version and refused to call the extended cut a director's cut but they made it anyway.  Fox may be able to release any version they want, it's just a matter of Ridley being happy about it.

Maybe it's not a control thing? It could be possible that he prefers the theatrical cut (as with Alien)

TrixieVanSickle

That's what I'm getting at.  Even if he prefers the theatrical edition, an extended cut may show up anyway, courtesy of Fox.  If there's money to be made, they'll release it, with or without his blessing.

LIG

Quote from: TrixieVanSickle on Jun 12, 2012, 08:51:17 PM
That's what I'm getting at.  Even if he prefers the theatrical edition, an extended cut may show up anyway, courtesy of Fox.  If there's money to be made, they'll release it, with or without his blessing.

I get the impression from some of Ridley's interviews that this maybe the case.
I have a bad feeling we will be waiting a while for a DC, Fox will milk the theatrical one dry first!

departedhero20

Quote from: TrixieVanSickle on Jun 12, 2012, 08:51:17 PM

I hope ur right pal because the interview are starting to worry me i mean who the hell wants to see deleted scenes in extras i know i f**king dont >:(

TrixieVanSickle

Just buy wisely. They'll release a diamond pack with blu ray  first, but they WILL release a plain DVD about a month later.

Disney is famous for this.  They release the DVD/Blu Ray combo packs first then release the plain DVD a few weeks later.

So don't go splurging on this if there's no extended version:
http://www.amazon.com/Prometheus-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-Copy/dp/B0085Z8F4A/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339534786&sr=1-2

buy this instead or just wait:

http://www.amazon.com/Prometheus-Michael-Fassbender/dp/B005LAIHXQ/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339534786&sr=1-1

Cybercat

Quote from: departedhero20 on Jun 12, 2012, 08:30:39 PM
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=44279.0

cott cut Prometheus down from two hours and 27 minutes to two hours and four minutes, which does mean there may be upwards of 23 minutes of deleted scenes. He has already said there won't be an extended cut, but extended scenes will be made available on the Blu-ray.

More info on the link above

Wow, you linked to a thread by yourself where you're over-reacting to someone misunderstanding something Scott said in a totally different interview.  That sure proves it.   ::)  Scott has already mentioned a longer cut.  Of course he's not going to diss the version in theaters.   ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed