Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 160,054 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Le Celticant on Sep 20, 2021, 09:35:16 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 20, 2021, 09:01:42 PM
kinda sounds like you would hate the book too though right?

kinda sounds like you would love the opera too though right?

...okay

Well you apparently took issue with every aspect of the film (almost to a comical level imo). It sounds like you hate the story itself.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

In Villeneuve I trust. ❤

Ridlazz921

Ridlazz921

Judging by the trailer i was not hyped. I thought the designs were kinda too steril along with the cinematography. Not a huge fan of the trend of finding the sharpest lens possible, putting them on digital cameras and then have it just look as sharp clean and sterile as possible.
So i was not on the hype train.

UNNTILL i saw the freaking movie in theaters.
I loved it and all my problems i had by watching that short trailer went away. I liked the look of it, it thought it was an incredible experience and the use of sound was amazing, not only the score but the general use of sound, voice and filtrations, this movie does an incredible job to transport me into another world, and og boi it has been a long time since i experienced that !

Cant wait for part 2. Anybody knows if they shot them back to back or if part 2 still havent been shot ?

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

---

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

On Paul –

Spoiler
Him playing into the sort of stereotypical hero role is kind of pivotal at this stage in the story, in contrast to the horrors that his actions ultimately usher into the world.
[close]

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Sep 21, 2021, 06:29:44 AM
Cant wait for part 2. Anybody knows if they shot them back to back or if part 2 still havent been shot ?

Part two has not yet filmed and its (potential) future existence depends entirely on the success of part one.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Denis will know by December, it's looking good though.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Sep 21, 2021, 06:29:44 AM
Judging by the trailer i was not hyped. I thought the designs were kinda too steril along with the cinematography. Not a huge fan of the trend of finding the sharpest lens possible, putting them on digital cameras and then have it just look as sharp clean and sterile as possible.
So i was not on the hype train.

UNNTILL i saw the freaking movie in theaters.
I loved it and all my problems i had by watching that short trailer went away. I liked the look of it, it thought it was an incredible experience and the use of sound was amazing, not only the score but the general use of sound, voice and filtrations, this movie does an incredible job to transport me into another world, and og boi it has been a long time since i experienced that !

Yeah, it was the same with me, initial sceptism after watching the first trailer but after looking at some of the later released footage I began to change my mind. Wasn't a fan of 2049's look at all but I think Dune is looking very good (aside from some bland production design here and there, IMO). But yeah, there are some really stunning shots in there.

QuoteCant wait for part 2. Anybody knows if they shot them back to back or if part 2 still havent been shot ?

Nope, part 2 has been scripted but not filmed yet. The most recent news on that is, is that the studio told Villeneuve that if it underperforms at the box office but is embraced on HBO Max, then he would most likely be given the go-ahead for part 2.

Quote from: Le Celticant on Sep 21, 2021, 07:56:42 AM
It's a pretty lazy and "safe" adaptation in my opinion (almost like there was no ambition at all to make this movie beyond getting paid to do it).

Villeneuve has said in numerous interviews that Dune is a "passion project" for him. Dune is his favourite book and it has been a lifelong dream to adapt it to film. He has already spent more than 3 years of his life working on it exclusively and loves it deeply.

QuotePlus you can't say "it's impossible to do in one movie" when a prior adaptation (like it or not) show you otherwise.

The problem with the prior adaption was that no-one who haven't read the book understood what was going on. It is too complex a book to adapt into only one film. Even Ridley Scott's version would have been split over two films.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

---

SiL

SiL

Trying to argue the motives of a person you don't know because you didn't like a movie is a weird hill to die on.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

---

SiL

SiL

You doubt his sincerity because you don't like the movie - and somehow tried to use the Strause Brothers as a supporting argument? Their movie was awful, but the fact they were fans isn't really in question. You can be passionate and incompetent.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

---

SiL

SiL

Nobody doubted you couldn't dislike the movie. Your first review said it was soulless and for a paycheck. That's the only thing mentioning his passion was in response to.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Dune has been Villeneuve's dream project. I'm going to err on the side of the vast majority that are raving about it, cheers.  :D 8)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Le Celticant on Sep 21, 2021, 08:25:03 PM
Have you ever heard of the story of darth Strauses brother the wise(not)?
It was once said, two brother loved so much a movie, they made it even better. (still can't get my head around this even today HAHA, I think that makes up an awesome joke in the community at least).
Said every director ever about their adaptation, period.
I'd be surprised if you find someone sayin "I did it for the money, f*ck I didn't even knew what was the source material"
On the 165M$ budget there's at least half on marketing, you can't imagine they let with that money filtrate Villeneuve saying "oh... it was there... that or star wars... ... or another Shrek... it just happened idk how but truth is I would have rather direct a Wall-E movie".

Denis Villeneuve is in a slightly different league compared to the Straus Bros. His ten films total over 18 Academy Award nominations (including best director) and 3 wins. He is competent, don't worry.  ;D

And it wasn't as if the project just fell into his lap, he actively pursued the rights in order to film it.

Quote from: Denis Villeneuve, Circa 2016"a longstanding dream of mine is to adapt Dune, but it's a long process to get the rights, and I don't think I will succeed."

He has also been quite frank in interviews, he admitted that he wanted to turn down 2049 because he was afraid of "tarnishing the "brand" and only really took the job due to pressure from the producers (with whom he had worked on his previous film). Besides that, he has said quite a few controversial things in interviews - not a man to mince his words.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed