Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 18, 2013, 09:24:06 AM

Author
New Film Project... (Read 34,452 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Damn, that looks f**king great.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Thanks! Was just a quick and dirty render to see if it would be an improvement. Hopefully, the actual scenes will have better use of lighting and shadow.

Dropship pilot costume attempt:

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Dropship-Pilot-Costume-Test-411959721

Definitely not the final version. Just an attempt to see what can be created by throwing together elements from different costume sets to see if I could get something kind of authentic-looking. Basic, but sort of works... Am seeing a professional CGI modeller in regards to their upcoming release of a more accurate flight suit - that's the one I'll likely be using.

Note-worthy as an early costume experiment, however.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

More test rendering - not necessarily reflective of what will be in the final product. Done primarily for experimenting with lighting composition, weapon posing and surface materials.

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Vacation-Test-Render-413211787

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

About ten days late or so, but loving the renders. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

It's been a while since I updated here and it's the main thing which has been soaking up my free time. As something I can reveal, however, I'd like to take a little time to explain something called 'shaders'.

In CGI art, this is essentially something which is applied to the surface of a model to completely change its look and how light interacts with it. You can get them for all kinds of purposes... Things which make a figure look like a spectral ghost, others which make them look like corroded metal or as if they're out of a 'Tron' film and so on.

And shaders are something which have massively helped what I've been doing. Just constructed a scene demands things like good placement of light, shadows and, believe it or not, reflections (because in CGI, you can actually exert control over those, too). While I can't promise something which is photo-realistic, I'd like to at least make it look as good as I can.

Sometimes, however, a product comes along which can have unintended, but intriguing, visual effects. An example of this comes from yesterday, where a new shader was released which is designed to take account of things like glittering paint for fingernails. All well and good, but something caught my eye about how it interacted on a belt... And, after some fiddling around with the surface settings, I was able to create a nicely realistic reflection effect, which is great for recreating the look of fluid or oil-based smearing.

Or Alien resin. :)

Spoiler
Before:

After:

[close]

These should not be considered of the same quality I'm using for the actual project. There's only one indirect light involved and no shadows (which is what's giving this one an uncanny valley look), because I was using it purely to test the shader's effect. What's interesting is that it makes the surface of the head, torso and arms now look as if they're glistening with an oily sheen.

The down side of this, as you can also see, is that it made the legs and tail look much less realistic. From what I can tell, this seems more down to how the shader is using the surface of the model, itself, rather than the painted textures. Because of this, more work is needed before it can be applied to the project, but I'm already looking into how a glistening shader which doesn't interfere with any pre-existing textures might be possible.

So, a small example of how, just like with live-action film projects, I'm sometimes finding ways to use elements and effects in ways their creators had never thought of. :)

Also a part of why this has been taking so long, because the technology is constantly evolving and allowing me to experiment with environments and techniques I hadn't originally thought would be a possibility.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

f**king good update. The new shader looks good, actually looks like a surface you can grab and hold on to rather than the marble look of that first image that looks all slippery as hell. Can't wait to see what this looks like with all sorts of lighting and shadows next time.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Yeah, the slippery light on the 'before' shot is just the default texture the model has. Which, in itself, is quite impressive, but still has to be lit right, like in a computer game. Otherwise, it doesn't look as impressive. The glittery shader definitely gave it an improvement, though. Glad you agree!

There's another upcoming Alien model which should be coming down the pipeline, though... The preview images its creator passed over looked very impressive and, because it wasn't textured, I know that one has all the detailing on the actual surface, which lends itself much better to the above effect. Crossing fingers for it...

Also recently learned how to give images a motion blur effect, which has helped tremendously.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Success! Got some strange effects when applying it to human figures, but have figured out how to get the Alien's normal textures to show through much more than before.

Applied to a random human figure beside it for comparison (Alien not adjusted for an authentic height).

Spoiler

Click to enlarge it!
[close]

Shall probably use a more skeletal tail from another model if I ultimately use this as a 'hero' Alien model.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Update:

For those wondering, I did manage to solve the shader issues previously outlined above. Today was a bit of a milestone, as I've finally got access to an effect which, while intended for standing in as giant spider webbing, actually makes a very passable stand-in for Alien hive resin! It just requires changing the default colour from white to a sort of light greenish-brown. :) Have still got someone making some proper chunks of resin, but until then, this will function admirably.

Project is steadily moving ahead... Human characters are now being rendered in HD, for the most part. Makes them much more realistic. The motion-comic stage won't be started until all the rest is complete, but the software for that installed perfectly fine. It's just, as I say, a matter of waiting for a few final props and costumes. I'd say I've got about 90-95% of everything to make the end result polished. Gradually proceeding with what elements are already to hand. The waiting is worth it. As of yesterday, for instance, I've now got much more convincing liquid, fog and weather effects than before.

I know, I know... Still no video advert! But I'd rather it be worth watching than just put something out there for the sake of it. It's a long way off from even needing people to record the audio for various characters, but it's coming together.

Won't be up to the sort of quality Locusta can manage, but you can't have everything. :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Haven't posted in this thread very much, but I've been enjoying reading your updates. Sounds like a lot of great work is going into this project, and I can't wait to see the end result.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 19, 2014, 04:29:27 PM
Haven't posted in this thread very much, but I've been enjoying reading your updates. Sounds like a lot of great work is going into this project, and I can't wait to see the end result.

Appreciated!

Just finished reading the first of the new novels and in the midst of the second. A couple of ideas from my story seem to have coincidentally shown up in them, but nothing too major. One of my characters will have empathic abilities, for instance, but since the concept isn't being exactly... Handled well in that novel, I'm not too worried about it.

Think 'The Thing' meets '30 Days Of Night' with Aliens in it and you should have an idea of at least the tone I'm aiming for with this. Now that I'm working in HD for the human models (many of them, anyway), what I'm now capable of feels a lot more atmospheric and closer to what I was originally hoping for.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Another major update:

Haven't yet taken the leap, because it's presently at version 2.5 and I'd like to start with 3, but... Having familiarised myself with the interface, this project will eventually be taking advantage of the amazing plug-in known as Reality. It's a different method for rendering images within the same software I'm presntly using, which models light in a much more realistic way.

For examples made by other people, have a look at the following.

http://gray-fox200.deviantart.com/art/Before-and-After-Using-Reality-400049606
http://amethyst25.deviantart.com/art/Baroque-Before-and-After-using-Reality-399769890
http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/art/Guard-721-436446993

The huge advantage of this is that, as of now, I have to place artificial sources of light around where I'd estimate the real fixtures to be projecting. With Reality, you simply select the actual loghts from within the model of a set, tell it to convert them to light sources and it will then render the image as if light is interacting literally as the room had designed them to. Also allows stuff like vehicle headlights to be projecting light as they should do! Even 'ordinary' materials seem to be given a face-lift. The only diadvantage is that rendering times for each image take a lot longer, but they look worth it.

Haven't made the switch yet, as I say, but imagine the above examples to be what this project should hopefully be using in future. Exciting times if I can get this going!

Vepariga

Vepariga

Since lighting plays a major part in anything with the Alien, that Reality program will be a excellent addition to creating some awesome work.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Definitely. It also allows for things like volumetric lights and fog... Anyone who's seen the footage of 'Isolation' knows what a tremendous sense of atmosphere that should convey.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey, very nice progress Xenomorphine, I'm not very present but I keep on eye from time to time on your project  ;)

Beware though, It's very hard to render volumetric due to its consuming resources resulting as a large increase in render time.
Try to fake it in compositing, you get the same result and you divide by 20 the time spent.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed