What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 282,766 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

The 33 Strategies of War

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

It's a good read and it's a bad read, but mostly bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/

Edit: Despite the subreddit name, they are good for putting me to sleep  8)

Stitch

Stitch

The Living Dead by George Romero & Daniel Kraus.

It's a really cool continuation of Romero's Living Dead movie series. I like the characters and kinda wished we got this instead of Survival of the Dead.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2021, 12:24:39 AM

It's a really cool continuation of Romero's Living Dead movie series. I like the characters and kinda wished we got this instead of Survival of the Dead.

I've had this on my to read list for awhile now. Would you say it's worth reading? I'm always hesitant of movie related books...

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Mar 15, 2021, 04:37:27 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2021, 12:24:39 AM

I've had this on my to read list for awhile now. Would you say it's worth reading? I'm always hesitant of movie related books...
I'm 2/3 through and enjoying it

Ingwar

Ingwar

Just finished Corpus Chrome, Inc. (2014) by S. Craig Zahler.

Just started Storm Front, first book of The Dresden Files, detective urban fantasy series by Jim Butcher. I'm hooked.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Blindsight by Peter watts...

...What a great book, but what a challenging book at that. I won't even pretend to really comprehend some of the paragraphs in the book and for that, I applaud.

Out of all the books I've read over the years, this is one I WILL be reading again because not only is it good, but I guarantee I'll interpret things differently then this first time.

The Hematophages by Steve Kozeniewski....

.....This book went from a solid 1 star to a 3 out of 5, solely because of the last 125-150 pages. 

The first 2/3 of the book are unremarkable and characters are very miss. But this author has some great ideas, just maybe needs to flesh it out more.

I'd love to see him evolve on the actual flesh planet. I never once felt scared for the people who arrived. The concept of no men is great, but no other details other than a passing phrase. The bloodsuckers are vicious towards the end and that's where the meat and bones of this book are. I just wish the first 200 pages could've focused more on dread than a YA type of novel.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Ingwar

Ingwar

An artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2021, 04:00:47 AM
Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

If you can make it through Control without wanting to throw the book across the room, you're a stronger man than me.

Huggs

Huggs

This thread.

And some John Campbell.

Stitch

Stitch

Still The Living Dead. Last third has lost the pace of the start. Hopefully it'll pick up again by the end.

I read You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann in two sittings the other day. It's short, well paced, and  just realistic enough to be creepy without being scary. Better than the movie that was adapted from it.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

The Siberian Incident by Greig Beck...

.... What a great, well written and thought out book! I had no clue there was going to be a military and mafia aspect to this and that could be why I'm giving it such praise, it caught me by surprise!

The author does a good job of keeping the underlying menace present and accounted for as he introduces aspects to the story I wouldn't have seen work. I'm beyond impressed with how seemingly easy and workable this overall story was put together and will definitely check out the authors other work now.

I'd describe it as action horror, definitely had a The Thing movie vibe going on which was great, but image people with more guns and the mafia. Eastern Promises meets The Thing meets Predator.... great fun!

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel....

.... What a beautifully written book. Very character driven and well thought out. It was nice to read something different from my usual tastes and was happy with this choice.

If you're looking for a grim written post Apocalyptic novel than this isn't for you as the author uses the setting as a backdrop. This is a book about people.

Stitch

Stitch

The Living Dead has a good ending. Worth the long read.

Now onto S by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorsch. It's a non-linear ergodic novel, similar to House of Leaves, with a lot of 'feelies' inside. It's fairly good so far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed