Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 385,935 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

By that metric, he didn't have a choice in making them cannon-fodder either (since they were in the Verheiden comic as well), so dinging him for that portrayal is a little disingenuous.

In a way you could say the portrayal of the Aliens (be it Verheiden or Perry's "fault") is similar to the pitfall that 'AvP:R' had, where the Aliens were alternately super-competent on a broad scale (overrunning Earth, overrunning a small town) but shown to be ineffectual against the protagonists on a small scale. In essence, the protagonists had "plot armor".
'Aliens' the film is guilty of this, too, it just does a better job of hiding it.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 18, 2013, 11:30:38 PM
By that metric, he didn't have a choice in making them cannon-fodder either (since they were in the Verheiden comic as well), so dinging him for that portrayal is a little disingenuous.
True, but then you read his thoughts on the stuff later and he really doesn't give the Aliens much credit anyway.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Oct 19, 2013, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 18, 2013, 11:30:38 PM
True, but then you read his thoughts on the stuff later and he really doesn't give the Aliens much credit anyway.
While you could knock him for that, we don't know Verheiden's thoughts on the matter since he's been silent on the topic - he could very well be guilty of the same exact mindset as Perry, since he wrote the original source material that Perry adapted.

I wouldn't say that Perry's "cannon fodder" mindset is necessarily wrong anyway, it's just... misguided. Like I said, 'Aliens' the film is guilty of many of the similar "cannon fodder" depictions (especially the director's cut), it just does a better job of disguising it because it's better-written. You can support Perry's argument using 'Aliens', I just feel it's a flawed interpretation.

SiL

This is much too much discussion over a throwaway jibe at an author :P

Xenomrph

Fair enough :P

DerelictShip

Im lost, is this a video game or board game?

[cancerblack]

Quite possibly neither, but much closer to a board game. Hence it not being in the video games section.

RakaiThwei

Found this photo of the minature prototypes! Doesn't seem like this was shared yet but.. here you go!

Anyone know where they sell the Prodos brand games in the States? Normally, I don't collect these things or play them but considering that this is essentially something AvP related, I am willing to get into something like this.

-Rakai'Thwei

Corporal Hicks

Vulhala

Take my money.

PRJ_since1990

I'm def going to get these. Even if I don't play the game, they'd be a nice addition to my collection. However, I do intend to learn how to play. Anybody have any insight on the game, it's mechanics, how you win, etc. ?

Master

I`ll probably take some Predators. Maybe some aliens too ;) And maybe Marines... Oh f**k it

shadowedge

Quote from: Manchu on Oct 14, 2013, 02:25:59 PM
Some new info from Prodos:
Quote from: ProdosA: Many different types, movies, books, games
v: Male and Female
P: Movie size so Human truescale 28mm, P = truescaled 28mm. Human ~6 foot, P~7.5Foot

This is awesome! Even better now that Steve Perry is writing it.

TorsoInvader

Wow these are pretty cool. ;D

Reminds me of the Starship troopers Miniatures by Mongoose from a few years ago.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 26, 2013, 07:30:27 AM
Found this photo of the minature prototypes! Doesn't seem like this was shared yet but.. here you go!

Anyone know where they sell the Prodos brand games in the States? Normally, I don't collect these things or play them but considering that this is essentially something AvP related, I am willing to get into something like this.

-Rakai'Thwei

Is the first Pred already blowing himself up?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed