Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,233 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Lol it's so funny to see them all use "copy and paste" in their attacks. It's not something you can accuse him of regardless of how you feel about his films.

So childish 😆

Ingwar

Ingwar

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

I think they only say something to he PR for their film. Just funny how they always hate on Marvel when one of their films is close to being released. It's sad they have to hate just to try and get butts in seats to see their movie.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 17, 2021, 05:29:48 PM
Got to feel sorry for 'em Aussies though. Poor sods, I wonder what they did wrong? :D

Have you ever drunk Foster's? ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

No, it's been banned at the local pub. But I understand Local Trouble knows a thing or two about Fosters.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 17, 2021, 06:26:23 PM
Lol it's so funny to see them all use "copy and paste" in their attacks. It's not something you can accuse him of regardless of how you feel about his films.

So childish 😆

Ironically, their "reviews" are also essentially "copy and paste's" of each other. :D

Ingwar

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Sep 17, 2021, 08:15:37 PM
I think they only say something to he PR for their film. Just funny how they always hate on Marvel when one of their films is close to being released. It's sad they have to hate just to try and get butts in seats to see their movie.

I would hardly consider what he said "hate". He didn't say they were awful, just that he thinks they are formulaic. I happen to agree with him even though I enjoy a lot of Marvel films.

SiL

SiL

The context of the quote was that big budget movies can still have artistic merit and aren't doomed to be popcorn films.

www.nme.com/news/film/denis-villeneuve-marvel-movies-cut-and-paste-copies-3047720

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: kwisatz on Sep 17, 2021, 11:13:32 AM
The film actually feels a bit tame (in parts) for Dune. It often compensates for that with absolut great atmosphere though.

So you've heard? :-\

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2021, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Sep 17, 2021, 11:13:32 AM
The film actually feels a bit tame (in parts) for Dune. It often compensates for that with absolut great atmosphere though.

So you've heard? :-\

Yes. Sure. People talking on the tram, you know..

I also heard this film's a grower. From people who then must've seen it a second time.  :o

Stolen

Stolen

The whole first part, until
Spoiler
Leto's death
[close]
, stuck me in my seat. We find the dazzling staging that Villeneuve strikes us in each of his films since Sicario. But this is like that every 3 minutes, we take full eyes, ears, we feel such a breath, such floating, such power. The atmosphere is heavy, the scope immense - in the continuity of Blade Runner 2049 - and the music, excellent although less memorable for Zimmer, reinforces this atmosphere a little more.

I really appreciated the way Villeneuve presents us and invites us into this universe, the presentation of the different cast, the issues of each other, is particularly fluid, efficient, natural. It's accessible, rhythmic, punchy, so much so that it made the work almost too simple for me.

The climax of the feature film
Spoiler
being the death of Leto
[close]
, it's true that the bellows in the last part falls a bit, with visions a little too much, embarrasing, and a much more intimate end in the desert, which would have made a very good introduction in part two. Anyway, this first part was of a rather crazy formal ambition and sufficiently rich and well constructed to make people want to see one, two, three or four suites.

4/5

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Back from it, I do not see the distinction Villeneuve tried to draw between Marvel and his movie, to me both are the same:
A lot of rich people spending their time talking, a chosen one, 30 explosions per shots because VFX factories offers fixed bid and are paid per shot, not the amount of creatures or explosion they put in it which is why you always see a billions things going on per shot, everything is overly synthetic and there are no risk taken anywhere (the editing, story, acting, colors, cinematography, VFX are all but very conservative).
It looked much like a very old movie made with a mind from someone of the previous centuries, oh look the desert people are arabic, the traitor are asians, the bad guys dress in black, the messiah is young and innocent and goes to an exotic place...
Mute the sound, there's no tension, nothing surprising, everything (not story wise, cos I know Dune is old) visually has been shot a billion time the same way ESPECIALLY in the last couple of years (Wadi Rum in Prometheus, and Star Wars, both got a real love for Lawrence of Arabia, at least Prometheus tried to put make up on it by having bigger mountains in the background and transform the place into a very humid and cold environment).
The sand dune are the same in Star Wars VII, IDK what I was looking at, I'm pretty sure you can cross cut Dune shots with The Force Awakens very easily.
Brutalism is so over-rated these days, yet everything feels dysfunctional and doesn't mean much beside very rich people trying to look modest in their grandiose empty castle.

Music everywhere and when it's muted they really push the useless soundFX (I mean it's sand moving... no need to put thunder sound there or woooosh ::) )

This movie is in my opinion the pinacle of everything I find symptomatic with the industry, it's a disney in disguise or should I say a "long commercial sold as a TV series only for the large screen where the point isn't to make a great movie but to make sure enough people will come back for a sequel not everyone is sure they really want but that please the shareholder.
Would have been at least partially okay if the material was original but even that is so old and consumed and I'm pretty sure they didn't try to go too much off road cos it doesn't look like a Blade Runner attempt compared to do Android dream of electric sheep or close to anything Jodorowsky tried to inject.

426Buddy

426Buddy

kinda sounds like you would hate the book too though right?

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

---

SiL

SiL

That doesn't make any sense ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed