Predators Blu-Ray/DVD Discussion

Started by 369, Jul 01, 2010, 11:05:00 PM

Author
Predators Blu-Ray/DVD Discussion (Read 109,759 times)

Predator Queen

I have a question is it possible to buy a DVD or Blu ray in the UK and have it delivered to the US and have it work here in are DVD or Blu ray players?  From what I can tell Falconer gets more of the spotlight on the covers in the UK where here in the US Berserker gets the cover.

Forever Knight

I got THe Crow Blu-ray from the UK and it doesn't work on my PS3 at all. :(

Yet I got a Blu-ray from Japan and it worked fine.

meanstreak

Quote from: Predator Queen on Sep 20, 2010, 05:40:45 AM
I have a question is it possible to buy a DVD or Blu ray in the UK and have it delivered to the US and have it work here in are DVD or Blu ray players?  From what I can tell Falconer gets more of the spotlight on the covers in the UK where here in the US Berserker gets the cover.

this isn't the easiest question to answer, because of highly technical jargon that will just confuse you if you don't understand it.  To put it plainly as possible -

Newer HDTV's are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC images, however -

Your USA PS3 uses the NTSC standard, as does Blu-Ray discs bought in the USA
The UK Blu-Ray will be PAL version

Most likely the PAL disc will not play in a US bought NTSC PS3, but there are some Blu-Ray players that will play both PAL and NTSC discs.

for more detailed descriptions of what all these letters mean, read this article - http://hometheater.about.com/cs/consumerresources/a/aawhosyourpala.htm

Quote from: Forever Knight on Sep 20, 2010, 07:15:02 AM

Japan also uses NTSC-J, which normally works fine in USA players

Quote from: PHANTOM on Sep 18, 2010, 01:13:17 AM
Quote from: Mikey on Sep 17, 2010, 11:54:13 PM
The Dark Knight (in some spots). I like everything balanced.

The Dark Knight so far is the worst, ultra ultra low voices and insanely loud action. It's very unbalanced and annoying.

Some of us don't live in a house away from everyone so we can blast the shit out of the sound like a concert. Some of us live in apartments and need to keep the sound down just a tad so we don't start a fight with the people next door :D

both my tv and surround sound system have dynamic range compression, makes everything awesome, nothing is too loud or too quiet ;D

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: meanstreak on Sep 20, 2010, 08:50:44 AM
Quote from: Predator Queen on Sep 20, 2010, 05:40:45 AM

this isn't the easiest question to answer, because of highly technical jargon that will just confuse you if you don't understand it.  To put it plainly as possible -

Newer HDTV's are capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC images, however -

Your USA PS3 uses the NTSC standard, as does Blu-Ray discs bought in the USA
The UK Blu-Ray will be PAL version

Most likely the PAL disc will not play in a US bought NTSC PS3, but there are some Blu-Ray players that will play both PAL and NTSC discs.

for more detailed descriptions of what all these letters mean, read this article - http://hometheater.about.com/cs/consumerresources/a/aawhosyourpala.htm

Quote from: Forever Knight on Sep 20, 2010, 07:15:02 AM

Japan also uses NTSC-J, which normally works fine in USA players

Someone on here said a little while ago that the Blu-Ray player on the PS3 was region free?

all i know is that as long as i follow the region advice as bluray.liesinc.net everything is fine.

meanstreak

meanstreak

Quote from: Vulhala on Sep 20, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
Someone on here said a little while ago that the Blu-Ray player on the PS3 was region free?

I have heard that the PS3 does not lock PS3 games by region, but it does lock PS1 & 2 games, as well as DVDs and Blu-Rays - I do not have a PS3 so I am not 100% sure. 

But region coding (in Blu-Ray it's A/B/C regions) and video standard (NTSC, PAL) are two different things.  Region coding is simply a method of locking the disc to play only on players from the same region.  A region free player is usually multi-sync and able to play both NTSC and PAL, but I doubt that the PS3 is like that, though I could be wrong.  You also need a multi-sync TV capable of displaying both NTSC and PAL images, which all HDTV's and many less than 10 years old model CRT's are.

I guess we could give it a try!  But to be honest, I'm from Texas but lived in London the last 4 years, and I think that the little age restriction shields that are on DVDs and BRDs in the UK are absolutely ugly!  They are on the front, back AND the spine so they look terrible IMHO, especially when mixed in with USA discs.  Take a look at my collection and you see what I mean, just click the thumbnail -

Vulhala

Vulhala

You bought AvP:R twice? That's commitment right there  :D

Keyes

Keyes

Updated UK Predator Trilogy Blu-ray set artwork:

The Necronoir

Quote from: meanstreak on Sep 20, 2010, 03:17:45 PM
I guess we could give it a try!  But to be honest, I'm from Texas but lived in London the last 4 years, and I think that the little age restriction shields that are on DVDs and BRDs in the UK are absolutely ugly!  They are on the front, back AND the spine so they look terrible IMHO, especially when mixed in with USA discs.  Take a look at my collection and you see what I mean, just click the thumbnail -

If you think that's bad, you should see the new ones they brought out here in Australia. Hideous does not do it justice, which is why I buy as many DVDs/games/Blu-rays from overseas as I can.

meanstreak

Quote from: Vulhala on Sep 20, 2010, 03:35:56 PM

lol ya I was in the UK at the time, the region 1 came out like a month before the region 2 so I ordered it from home, but the shipper was sllllooowww and it was released in the UK before my region 1 arrived.  I kinda liked how it was called AvP2 there so I went ahead and bought it.  Both sets are exactly alike save for the region one has digital copy!

Quote from: Vulhala on Sep 20, 2010, 03:35:56 PM

and i thought him buying AVP 5 times was bad enough lol!

Feral_PRED

Quote from: RidgeTop on Aug 29, 2010, 04:18:12 AM
Updated Region 1 DVD artwork.  The Blu-ray artwork is still the same.

This is so awesome, fantastic artwork!!!

-alienhunter14

to save starting a new thread, does the "trilogy" box set, definitely include the ultimate hunter ed of "Predator"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed