Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 69,941 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 15, 2019, 07:29:31 PM
Or hd-dvd.

That was different brother. That was a battle between Blu-ray and HDDVD, backed by different companies, both trying to be the new HD home video replacement format for DVD.

It was like VHS and BETAMAX, and 4K is like the niche Laserdisc.

The Old One

The Old One

4K's the final physical format.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 07:42:58 PM
Nonsense. 4K's longevity is all but confirmed, according to Blu-ray.com 4K's outselling their Blu-ray counterparts for most major releases.

Actually it's not nonsense Oldy One but Goody. 4K only holds 5.3% of all disc sales.

And those New Releases are 4K + BLURAY + DIGITAL.  We buy them because that gets the top of the line edition, with often steelbooks and extra goodies. That's why so many of the general public (including me) have 4K discs but no player and never use them.

A few years ago it was 3D + BLURAY + DIGITAL. Most diehard Marvel fans can tell ya that they have 3D discs at home but no 3D player, no 3D tv.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not the same, 3D requires specific hardware that you had to go out of your way to use. Compare that to 4K Televisions, which in the UK are no more pricey than that of the HD Standard Televisions, and the same will happen with the 4K Blu-ray players in due time.

4K & 3D are false equivalences.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 07:45:22 PM

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 15, 2019, 07:29:31 PM
Or hd-dvd.

That was different brother. That was a battle between Blu-ray and HDDVD, backed by different companies, both trying to be the new HD home video replacement format for DVD.

It was like VHS and BETAMAX, and 4K is like the niche Laserdisc.

But like the dodo, it goes away.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 08:14:06 PM
It's not the same, 3D requires specific hardware that you had to go out of your way to use.

3D requires a 3D player and 3D Television
4K requires a 4K player and 4K Television

The only thing extra 3D needs is your 3D Glasses.

QuoteCompare that to 4K Televisions, which in the UK are no more pricey than that of the HD Standard Televisions, and the same will happen with the 4K Blu-ray players in due time.

But 8K televisions are dropping in price and will soon be no more pricey too. If you have no skin in the game, and you are shopping for a TV, what will you buy? 4K or the better 8K?  And then would you want 4K or 8K movies to maximize the use of your TV?

Quote4K & 3D are false equivalences.

I was only equating to their niche status, and eventual demise. Samsung pulled out of the 3D player market. Now Samsung pulled out of the 4K player market.

If they saw the futures growing, they wouldn't have pulled out from either. But Samsung sees the writing on the wall unfortunately.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes but a 4K Blu-ray and a 4K Player is a general upgrade from a regular Blu-ray and player, in picture and sound- 3D isn't.

8K Films aren't a thing, (On Media) and honestly I'd probably go for the best all round Television, in terms of longevity or picture 4K or 8K.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 08:49:52 PM
Yes but a 4K Blu-ray and a 4K Player is a general upgrade from a regular Blu-ray player, 3D isn't.

8K Films aren't a thing, (On Media) and honestly I'd probably go for the best all round Television, in terms of longevity or picture 4K or 8K.

Well, we'll just have to see how it goes. Either way, Samsung pulling out of 4K is not a good sign.

Now... Back to arguing about canon!   ;D

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 08:52:45 PMSamsung pulling out of 4K is not a good sign.

Yeah, I just got the news myself. They're (the industry, that is) doing their best to kill physical media. My PS4 has suddenly started to have difficulty reading blu-ray discs, and the tinfoil hat-wearer in me is wondering if that's a feature, not a bug (i.e. "Gee, discs are such a pain... PS4 can't even read 'em! What's a streaming service I can subscribe to?").

And then the endless stories of "I paid for this movie, and now it's no longer available?". To say nothing of directors potentially 'special edition-izing' their old films a la George Lucas, and now that's the file that we all have to stream. Gimme my physical discs.  >:(

Huggs

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 15, 2019, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 08:52:45 PMSamsung pulling out of 4K is not a good sign.

Yeah, I just got the news myself. They're (the industry, that is) doing their best to kill physical media. My PS4 has suddenly started to have difficulty reading blu-ray discs, and the tinfoil hat-wearer in me is wondering if that's a feature, not a bug (i.e. "Gee, discs are such a pain... PS4 can't even read 'em! What's a streaming service I can subscribe to?").

And then the endless stories of "I paid for this movie, and now it's no longer available?". To say nothing of directors potentially 'special edition-izing' their old films a la George Lucas, and now that's the file that we all have to stream. Gimme my physical discs.  >:(

I've worried about the same things myself. I'm a physical copy man . I like to be able to enjoy my entertainment when and how I want to . There are still portions of the population that do not have access to proper high-speed internet. Nor is the Internet always reliable in bad weather . I'll stick with my discs . They provide the utmost picture quality and sound at all times, regardless of climactic conditions.

As a minimalist, going digital almost seems like a good idea. But the fact is that other people control what you have access to and can take that access away . I don't like to pay for things I might not be able to use two weeks later. And I don't want to be held back from enjoying things unless I pay more for some premium service.

The Old One

The Old One

Unless I can download what I buy Digitally, there's no point. Physical anyday.

TheSailingRabbit

I just like being able to hold something in my hands. It's the same with books.

I also once said that I want to be able to go down to my living room in the morning with a cup of coffee and look at my assortment of movies.

"It's such a nice day today. Should I watch . . . 'Terminator?' Tell Voodoo I'm watching it regularly? 'Twister?' 'Harry Potter?' 'Aliens?' 'Shawshank?'"

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 15, 2019, 11:39:24 PM

I also once said that I want to be able to go down to my living room in the morning with a cup of coffee and look at my assortment of movies.

"It's such a nice day today. Should I watch . . . 'Terminator?' Tell Voodoo I'm watching it regularly? 'Twister?' 'Harry Potter?' 'Aliens?' 'Shawshank?'"

Watch the pecs and be hypnotized....

Watch The Terminator.....

Waaaaaatch the Terrrrrmmmmminaaaatoooorrrr

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 11:57:54 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/WAmFPjn5CKPrq/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c6751516455676277630f6d

I hate to say it, but . . . Arnie doesn't work on me. Nice try, though.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 16, 2019, 12:06:22 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 11:57:54 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/WAmFPjn5CKPrq/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c6751516455676277630f6d

I hate to say it, but . . . Arnie doesn't work on me. Nice try, though.  :laugh:

Fine...

Just leave Arnold.

It's not working.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed