First Marvel Collection Revealed

Started by Russ840, Aug 19, 2020, 07:48:02 PM

Author
First Marvel Collection Revealed (Read 51,545 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: judge death on Aug 20, 2020, 08:53:39 PM
Alien 3, isnt that the alien 3 comic adaptation of the movie?

Yep. Not a bad little adaptation, but ultimately too short to amount to much. The Resurrection one was even shorter, which was unfortunate 'cause I really liked the animated art style that one had.

judge death

Alright, well have them in original prints so it seems I have then most things in that collection, no labyrinth or inhuman condition? Guess I will wait and see if they release them in a collection, might get it then.

Nightmare Asylum

It looks like they're going in release order, so that stuff will most likely be coming in a later volume, I'd imagine.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Ya.  I loved this thing!  Not many people do, but I liked the vibe with the black framing and the colours that captured the film.

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 19, 2020, 09:01:13 PM
Countdown was originally published in Dark Horse Insider 14-27.

How many parts were in that?

Russ840

It was 14 parts but it was very short parts. Enough to fill two issues when they saw their only reprint in the UK mag.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2020, 09:17:21 PM

Yep. Not a bad little adaptation, but ultimately too short to amount to much. The Resurrection one was even shorter, which was unfortunate 'cause I really liked the animated art style that one had.

I recently went out of my way to buy those Alien: Resurrection comics.  Ugh.  I went in with low expectations and still the comics somehow managed to slide beneath them...

SM

SM

The Resurrection adaptation was better than the Alien 3 one.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 20, 2020, 10:22:34 PM
It was 14 parts but it was very short parts. Enough to fill two issues when they saw their only reprint in the UK mag.

Really?  That's quite substantial then!  I thought it was just a few short stories.  Really looking forward to this more than anything.

Den Beauvais said he did these in B&W.

Quote from: SM on Aug 20, 2020, 10:27:17 PM
The Resurrection adaptation was better than the Alien 3 one.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion.  I don't share it.

Russ840

They are B&W as far as I am aware.

Nightmare Asylum

Neither the Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection adaptations are particularly good, but they're both masterpieces compared to Aliens: Newt's Tale. :D

The only adaptation I've actually liked is Alien: The Illustrated Story. I guess Titan must still have the publishing rights for that, otherwise it would have been fun to see in this collection.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2020, 10:33:56 PM
Neither the Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection adaptations are particularly good, but they're both masterpieces compared to Aliens: Newt's Tale. :D

The only adaptation I've actually liked is Alien: The Illustrated Story. I guess Titan must still have the publishing rights for that, otherwise it would have been fun to see in this collection.

Alien: The Illustrated Story is a masterpiece.  It goes way beyond what anyone could expect as an adaptation.

Marvel had an excellent relationship with Walt Dimonson and Archie Goodwin... who knows?

Ideally, Marvel should readapt Aliens.  They readapted the original Star Wars, so it could happen in recognition of it being a master-work...

Prez

Prez

So the big question is will they include that extra panel in series 2 (done years later by Denis B showing Spears admiring a Xeno in a stasis pod) or not. I've mentioned this in other posts how the original DH omnibus included it and then the big collected reprint from a year or so ago didn't.

Perfect-Organism

That was a blunder wasn't it?

They did include it in the Essential Comics volume which was cool, but most of the covers were then missing.  Oh Dark Horse.  Just never could quite fully satisfy the fan...

That will be very telling of Marvel though won't it?  That they dug up the Kenner stuff and found the rare lost Den Beauvais work from Countdown speaks volumes.  Someone over there really gives a f@&k and that is encouraging..

Rambo

Rambo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 20, 2020, 10:27:45 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 20, 2020, 10:22:34 PM

Really?  That's quite substantial then!  I thought it was just a few short stories.  Really looking forward to this more than anything.

Den Beauvais said he did these in B&W.
They were included in those two issues, but did not make up the entirety of those issues. They were inserts.

Countdown was made up of individual pages in each issue of Dark Horse Insider. It's very much a short story, about half the size of a normal issue. And beautiful in black and white!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Countdown is great but very short.

Even I'll admit that I'm impressed they are actually going to reprint that story, I had been bugging DH about Countdown for years.  I was kinda crushed when it wasn't in the fancy pantz. Even more so than not having the Spears/Alien tube page.

Now if Marvel really wants to blow my socks off, dig up and release Aliens: Matrix :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed