Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 167,293 times)

Kailem

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2021, 08:46:22 PM
I want UPP Spetsnaz with sky-blue berets and AK-style pulse rifles.

Their assault rifle of choice in this is the AK-4047, a cheaper, bulkier version of the M41A pulse rifle that does the same amount of damage but doesn't use armour-piercing rounds or have the underslung grenade launcher.

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2021, 12:02:43 AM
Quote from: Kailem on Feb 07, 2021, 03:25:31 PM
Yeah Destroyer is awesome. We played it last year over a period of several weeks and had a ton of fun. It's essentially the second part of a trilogy that began with Chariot, though you don't have to have played that first in order to understand it as Destroyer features completely new characters in a different setting (there are just some story points that call back to Chariot that you'll recognise if you played that first).

As people have said, the characters are all Colonial Marines stationed on a colony base who are tasked with finding some awol fugitives on the eve of an invasion. It's a lot longer than Chariot and is very much an "Aliens"-inspired adventure as opposed to the "Alien" influence of that one. So lots more action, lots more big guns, lots more creatures, and a lot of really cool twists that led to a lot of great "ohhhhhh ****!" moments.

It's really fun and definitely worth playing if you liked Chariot or the rpg in general (especially if you've been itching for more smart guns and apc's to play with). Just make sure you set aside plenty of time to get through it, as it's probably about twice as long as Chariot is, with each act feeling like a mini adventure on its own.

Does it still have that dodgy quote from the Mahabharata?

Skimming through it now, it looks like it does. At least I see a quote attributed to the Mahabharata on page 57, so I assume that's the one you're talking about.

SM

BlueMarsalis79

What's the quote?

SM

"It was an unknown weapon, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes
the entire race. The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Hair and nails
fell out; pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white."

It sounded dodgy when I first read it and did some research and could find no such passage in the Mahabharata. I mentioned it Free League and sent them this link, but I was under the impression it was too late to change anything before release.

Corporal Hicks

The CM Manual has been delayed.  :'(

QuoteWork on the Colonial Marines Operations Manual for the ALIEN RPG is progressing at a good pace. Layout is well underway and the final touches are now being made to art and text. Check out the sample art and spreads below!

Still, due to some unforeseen circumstances – and the fact that this is turning into a beast of a book – we have sadly come to the conclusion that we will not be able to release it in March as planned. The new plan is to officially release the book on ALIEN Day, April 26. We do apologize for this delay.

https://mailchi.mp/e65b86a144c0/colonial-marines-update

Kailem

Damn, that's unfortunate but not entirely unexpected. Latest word before now seemed to be that it was taking longer than they'd expected and probably wasn't going to ship until late March anyway, so I guess at least now there's the chance for them to get a little extra publicity out of launching it on Alien Day. Plus hopefully we'll still get the pdf version a fair bit earlier, even though it probably won't be until the physical version was originally due to get here now.

Still, loving these new preview pages, especially that Gateway-style space station! The artwork in the rpg is fantastic, so I can't wait to see all the new ships and equipment and just images like this that we'll b getting too.

BlueMarsalis79

Kradan

Is it me or is that facehugger pretty big  ?

BlueMarsalis79

Yes because it's not a Praeto
or standard variety one.
It's a Royal Facehugger.

Kradan

BlueMarsalis79

Love the artwork in the book. Find it does stir the imagination.

FenGiddel

Yep. Their Lovecraft books are WOW!

Corporal Hicks

I'm taking part in another RPG livestream shortly.

Mr. Clemens

I ended up watching quite a bit of that. Nice to see the game in action, instead of just reading the book.

Xiggz456

All the world building from the RPG core book has really come to the forefront in the new Alien novel "Into Charybdis". I'm about 300 pages deep and I'd highly recommend!

PS: Steering clear of the actual "Into Charybdis" thread until I finish the book so apologies if this has already been brought up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed