It's Official! Prey is Rated R!

Started by Engineer, May 17, 2022, 01:39:44 PM

Author
It's Official! Prey is Rated R! (Read 12,498 times)

Corporal Hicks

I've never found what the Predator does honorable. It's why I'm not a fan of the Yautja concept. They're in it for the thrill of the kill and the hunt, not honor. I know the Thomas Bro's said they intended City Hunter to have honor in what he was doing, but that honestly doesn't come across on the screen to me. Letting Anna live is just good wildlife preservation, not honor.

Yeshirler Rodríguez

Yeshirler Rodríguez

Predators have weapons honor for them is to right other raced with their oown weapons or whatever respuesta they may hace. Sir predators are honorable while fighting on invisible mode

skhellter

skhellter

I think the Thomas bros mentioned that the Predators are hypocrites in the same way that big game hunters are.

so in Predator 2, City Hunter is working on a "code" of sorts.....
but it's never meant to be taken as "real honor". They're assholes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I quite like the idea that they maybe have some messed up code whereby it's fine to butcher people who never even had a chance for no reason other than the lulz, but killing a pregnant woman is considered poor form.

But the honour idea is frequently pushed way too far for my tastes in the expanded universe.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, rules of the hunt is something I'm fine with. But the romanticized Samurai/Yautja honor is what I can't get behind. There's nothing fair or honorable about the way the Predators operate.

germanator2

germanator2

Whether the violence and blood is practical or CGI (unfortunately, good chance a lot of the blood splatter would be CGI) I do hope it's not silly and over-the-top like in The Predator. They amped up the gore in that one, but it just looked cartoon-ish, especially when the characters look weightless due to the CGI and how the Predator is interacting with them.

May 18, 2022, 01:10:51 PM

I think the Predator enjoys a good "fair" and "honorable" fight with an opponent he'd at least consider worthy enough to give them even the slightest chance, such as Dutch, Billy or King Willie, while the rest, even though they're probably worthy opponents in their own right, are more or less just easy trophies on the side. So what we perceive as honorable, they have a more twisted view of it.
But they're not stupid either when it comes to firepower by humans. I like to think that the Jungle Predator ambushed Blaine from behind while cloak because of the Mini-gun alone and the risks of being fatally wounded going toe-to-toe. The same goes with Mac when the Predator was caught off guard by him and almost mowed down by the Mini-gun. He knows Mac is capable and one of the few who wounded him and couldn't risk another chance of him getting the upper hand, so he took him out swiftly, even if it seemed cowardly killing him while cloaked.

GreybackElder

To echo some of the comments below, I have never really loved the idea of samurai like code of honor with predators. While I enjoy certain elements of the expanded mythos I've never really even liked the Yautja backstory.
I feel like it humanizes the predators too much. Don't give me team ups between humans and predators (although I did like how the rage wars series did it). I want unknowable mysterious killer aliens from space with their own motives.
I feel like Predator 2 and predators gave us just enough backstory without implying a full samurai honor code.
In my own head cannon I like to think of it as not honor that leads a predator to remove its mask and weapons in a one on one battle but sheer blood lust and recklessly abandonment. 

Master

Master

Samurai code of honor is romanticised to begin with. Those were vicious f**kers capable of doing most horrible things and treating those considered subpair worse then livestock.

Predator abide to the rules of the hunt. But when things goes south it doesn't give a shit and protects it's life and tech with all means necessary. Predator are cool and relatable because the are no mindless monster, but honourable they are not.

NoStyleDutch1

NoStyleDutch1

I've always seen it as they are honorable  in their minds, by their code. Whether or not they are honorable to humans by our standards is moot.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 18, 2022, 12:06:55 PMI quite like the idea that they maybe have some messed up code whereby it's fine to butcher people who never even had a chance for no reason other than the lulz, but killing a pregnant woman is considered poor form.

But the honour idea is frequently pushed way too far for my tastes in the expanded universe.

I figured it was one of their own hunting rules. We humans have similar rules about hunting does with their calves in some parts (although these laws tend to differ depending on where you are). When harrigan realized she was pregnant that was the moment he started to put two and two together imo he had that same "light bulb" moment that Dutch did when billy said "like a hunter."

May 18, 2022, 06:30:53 PM

Quote from: skhellter on May 18, 2022, 10:24:50 AMwhere's the honor in shooting someone while fully invisible?

90% of the time, Predators are  assholes abusing their superior tech.
They only rarely look for a fair fight.

To expand on this... humans hiding out in a hunting-blind while hunting deer, not very honorable but it keeps you more or less *invisible* to your prey. The predator's cloak is no different; it's not about honor it's just being a skilled hunter imo.

SiL

SiL

It's not honour, it's sport. It's bragging rights. There's a code of conduct, a guideline for what prey is worth killing and what isn't.

Sniping from behind while invisible is fine, just bag a decent buck.

NoStyleDutch1

NoStyleDutch1

I think there's an inherent flaw in applying human morality to an alien species.

Engineer

Engineer

I whole heartedly agree. But if you're going to compare it to anything human related, it should just be hunting practices and nothing more...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on May 18, 2022, 07:49:36 PMIt's not honour, it's sport. It's bragging rights. There's a code of conduct, a guideline for what prey is worth killing and what isn't.

Sniping from behind while invisible is fine, just bag a decent buck.

This. To me the Predators are just Game Hunters, not romanticized Samurai.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 18, 2022, 10:28:08 AMI've never found what the Predator does honorable. It's why I'm not a fan of the Yautja concept. They're in it for the thrill of the kill and the hunt, not honor. I know the Thomas Bro's said they intended City Hunter to have honor in what he was doing, but that honestly doesn't come across on the screen to me. Letting Anna live is just good wildlife preservation, not honor.

Letting Anna live or die would hardly threaten human population I think. Best to stick with the creator's intent!

May 22, 2022, 07:20:32 AM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 18, 2022, 12:06:55 PMI quite like the idea that they maybe have some messed up code whereby it's fine to butcher people who never even had a chance for no reason other than the lulz, but killing a pregnant woman is considered poor form.

American hunters do that now, less for lulz, but more for fun, i.e. sport. But they still follow what they perceive as honorable sports hunter conduct among them, sparing the young or pregnant.

May 22, 2022, 07:19:37 AM
Quote from: NoStyleDutch1 on May 18, 2022, 04:04:36 PMI've always seen it as they are honorable  in their minds, by their code. Whether or not they are honorable to humans by our standards is moot.

Just as American sports hunters do, but I doubt the animals they hunt would perceive these people as anything but dishonorable butchers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed