Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,730 times)

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: SM on Nov 02, 2009, 05:56:02 AM
Wouldn't the "best source" be the films?
I don't think so. 2 movies, quite good (I mean P1 & P2). One movie tolerable (AvP), one movie.... I censored myself  ;)(AvP2). But where is the knowledge? Just speculations. What we really know about Yautja?
It's not the source. No knowledge. I prefer books (I know, it's strange   ;)). No intermediary between author (writer) and recipient (spectator/reader). IMO the best script for AvP it was the Prey. But director had different conception. And we have AvP like this.  :)
So for me the best source are the books. They made canon for me. But it's my personal opinion.
That's all.
BTW Do you really think it's possible to making good movie Yautja POV? I doubt.  ;D

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 01, 2009, 11:18:50 PM
Quote from: steveperry on Nov 01, 2009, 06:46:01 PM
As for Predator POV, my daughter and I did a little of that in AvP, and fans seemed to like it. We're weren't supposed to go there, they didn't want us to, but we did it anyway and they decided they liked it.
The Predator POV is the main reason I had stopped reading the Dark Horse novels; "Aliens", too. By introducing names, language, and so on to them, the Preddies had lost their mystique. They became little more than Klingons who skin humans.

Mal gets it.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 02, 2009, 05:50:29 AM
I'm sorry but I don't agree. I really need to know who they are, I really need to know how, where etc.from best source.
First, you don't need to need to know those things; you want to. Whenever something like that is revealed, it's "Is that all there is?", and the appeal drops. Second, as others had pointed out, the "best source" is what was in the movies.

For me Yautja have big potential. I don't want them only as monster killing oomans. Not as a target in computer games.
Too late! They're already pretty much that.

I love idea Yautja culture in books and I just want to know more and more. I'm this kind of fan. I can talk about them for hours.... ;) So I still have never-dying hope...  ;D
There are tons of Star Trek episodes and films for you to see. All you have to do is substitute "Klingon" with "Yautja", make them less-diplomatic, and imagine them skinning people.

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 02, 2009, 07:44:39 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 02, 2009, 05:56:02 AM
Wouldn't the "best source" be the films?
I don't think so. 2 movies, quite good (I mean P1 & P2). One movie tolerable (AvP), one movie.... I censored myself  ;)(AvP2). But where is the knowledge? Just speculations. What we really know about Yautja?
At that point, we knew that they were mysterious. The only knowledge we need is that the people are trying to survive against an unknown creature. The "unknown" is the key. What's it gonna take to outlast the creature?

It's not the source. No knowledge. I prefer books (I know, it's strange   ;)). No intermediary between author (writer) and recipient (spectator/reader). IMO the best script for AvP it was the Prey. But director had different conception. And we have AvP like this.  :) So for me the best source are the books. They made canon for me. But it's my personal opinion.
The point is that the books painted the Preddies as trite sci-fi creatures. Aliens that come to Earth to hunt humans is not a new idea; it's been around since at least the '50s. By adding hunting codes, exotic weapons, a language, etc., the Preddies resemble a certain established alien race. They are no longer unique, but a garden variety alien race. If you feel that the books are the best source, knock yourself out. As you said, it's your personal opinion. But keep in mind that very little of what's shown in the books resembles the creatures that we know and love in the movies. On that note, you really don't like the Preddies; you like some other race that (through licensing) shares the same name. Oh, wait: they're "Yautja" now.

BTW Do you really think it's possible to making good movie Yautja POV? I doubt.
No. All of the Predator and AVP movies were too cerebral for that.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 02, 2009, 12:56:31 PM
First, you don't need to need to know those things; you want to.
OK.  Thank you. Knowledge it's not oxygen, so "I want to". ;)

My first post in this tread I've written, it was to Mr. Steve Perry. I didn't expect any response, and I didn't expect discussion like this. I'm not sure it's good place for it. I just want him to know. Not making off topic.

On that note, you really don't like the Preddies; you like some other race that (through licensing) shares the same name. Oh, wait: they're "Yautja" now.
Sarcasm not necessary.  ;) You think what you think. I've got my opinion. You can't change it, this way especially. And you don't need to.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 02, 2009, 03:03:44 PM
OK.  Thank you. Knowledge it's not oxygen, so "I want to".
You're learning.

My first post in this tread I've written, it was to Mr. Steve Perry. I didn't expect any response, and I didn't expect discussion like this. I'm not sure it's good place for it. I just want him to know. Not making off topic.
But you need to learn the difference between a private message and a public forum.

On that note, you really don't like the Preddies; you like some other race that (through licensing) shares the same name. Oh, wait: they're "Yautja" now.
Sarcasm not necessary.  ;) You think what you think. I've got my opinion. You can't change it, this way especially. And you don't need to.
I wasn't being sarcastic; I was simply calling a spade a spade. I was also reminding you of what you were really hero-worshipping; that it strays from what the creators of the franchise had envisioned.

You don't like Predators; you like "Yautjas".

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 02, 2009, 03:10:57 PM
But you need to learn the difference between a private message and a public forum.
But subject of this tread is "Ask Steve Perry", not  "Ask everyone who want to reply".   ;)

Every Yautja it's Predator, but not every predator it's Yautja maybe? If even I love only Yautja, Mr. Perry is the best source of knowledge.
OK.  Should we finish this OT  maybe? It could be boring for observers.  :-\

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

I wasn't being sarcastic; I was simply calling a spade a spade. I was also reminding you of what you were really hero-worshipping; that it strays from what the creators of the franchise had envisioned.

So, if you like a version of Batman who doesn't carry a gun (not to mention doesn't have a sidekick) do you then not like Batman? If I were to be particularly fond of Richard Dean Anderson's version of Jack O'Neill, am I not a Stargate fan? What about someone that prefers 'good' Arnie in T2 over 'bad' arnie in T1? All characters, if they're popular enough, eventually stray from what their creators envision. They grow, they change, they evolve.

The Thomas bros. originally intended the Predator to look like a retarded sloth, be a shapeshifter, and only use one weapon, which was a crazy, juiced-up version of the spear in Predator 2. Also, he wasn't hunting the humans specifically for trophies (although he did take them), but simply to learn more about humanity. Are you not a fan if you don't hold to that 'original' interpretation?

I challenge that you don't like Predators either; you like a certain Predator (or perhaps two or three), and any that don't act exactly like the ones you like obviously aren't Predators.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 02, 2009, 07:13:37 PM
What about someone that prefers 'good' Arnie in T2 over 'bad' arnie in T1?
Completely different characters to begin with.

QuoteThe Thomas bros. originally intended the Predator to look like a retarded sloth, be a shapeshifter, and only use one weapon, which was a crazy, juiced-up version of the spear in Predator 2. Also, he wasn't hunting the humans specifically for trophies (although he did take them), but simply to learn more about humanity.
Well, no - The intention was always that he was a big game hunter, coming to hunt humans. The learning about people thing came from whoever wrote the novel, and wasn't part of the original concept.

QuoteAre you not a fan if you don't hold to that 'original' interpretation?
That "original" non-existent interpretation didn't make it into the finished product, so it's a moot point.

QuoteI challenge that you don't like Predators either; you like a certain Predator (or perhaps two or three), and any that don't act exactly like the ones you like obviously aren't Predators.
I challenge that Mal has no particular fondness of the Predators to begin with.

A more suitable analogy would be looking at a Samurai warrior, and saying you like tribal hunters, or big game hunters. That's the difference here - The movies portray hunters, "rednecks going out on the weekend" as Hopkins put it, and Perry portrayed some sort of extraterrestrial Samurai.

or to keep with your Batman comment, it's like reading Superman and saying how much you love Batman because of his red and blue suit, flying abilities, and nigh-invincibility.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 02, 2009, 03:29:57 PM
But subject of this tread is "Ask Steve Perry", not  "Ask everyone who want to reply".
You really don't know how making a public post works, do you? Anyone can chime in.

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 02, 2009, 03:29:57 PM
Every Yautja it's Predator, but not every predator it's Yautja maybe?
The point is that you're settling for something that doesn't resemble the vision of the franchise's creators.

And, Domino, what you don't seem to notice is that what the Perrys had done with the Preddies is radically different than what was shown in the movies, and is much more different than any or all of the examples you had given from the other franchises.

SiL pretty much nailed it with the "rednecks vs. samurai" (a great idea for a movie!) analogy.

(On a sidenote to SiL: I do like the two Predator movies and own them, and I dare to say that I liked the second one more than the first.)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 03, 2009, 02:04:27 AM
(On a sidenote to SiL: I do like the two Predator movies and own them, and I dare to say that I liked the second one more than the first.)
Mal you're breaking my balls man. You're breaking my balls.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Quote from: SiL on Nov 02, 2009, 10:24:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 02, 2009, 07:13:37 PM
What about someone that prefers 'good' Arnie in T2 over 'bad' arnie in T1?
Completely different characters to begin with.

And...your point? Unless I've missed something entirely, the Predator's from different films are not only completely different characters, they're individuals, merely members of the same species, rather than being a machine of the same make and model as the radically different versions of arnie were.

A more suitable analogy would be looking at a Samurai warrior, and saying you like tribal hunters, or big game hunters. That's the difference here - The movies portray hunters, "rednecks going out on the weekend" as Hopkins put it, and Perry portrayed some sort of extraterrestrial Samurai.

Right...and Scott portrayed an unfathomable creature of unknown origin, and Cameron portrayed a Space Termite. Your point?

And, Domino, what you don't seem to notice is that what the Perrys had done with the Preddies is radically different than what was shown in the movies, and is much more different than any or all of the examples you had given from the other franchises.

And you don't seem to notice that we're not talking about Michael Myers or James T. Kirk or James Bond, or any other icon here, we're talking about a race of beings. They aren't going to act alike or think alike any more than you or I would. I think reading stories about different Predators who all acted exactly the same would be thoroughly boring.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 03, 2009, 04:51:44 AM
Unless I've missed something entirely, the Predator's from different films are not only completely different characters, they're individuals, merely members of the same species, rather than being a machine of the same make and model as the radically different versions of arnie were.
Difference being, despite the Arnies being different characters, they're still clearly the same thing, following a set of consistent patterns.

Right...and Scott portrayed an unfathomable creature of unknown origin, and Cameron portrayed a Space Termite. Your point?
We aren't talking about Aliens here.

If we were, my point would be, "f**k Cameron's portrayal of the Aliens, seriously. Anyone who takes that portrayal over the others in the movies doesn't like the Alien."

I think reading stories about different Predators who all acted exactly the same would be thoroughly boring.
Yet people ask for more Yautja stuff and complain when we get the "Hish".

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

A quick, some what broad question for Mr. Perry. I was wondering what if you have any was your favorite novel that you worked on?

keylight-di

keylight-di

Dear maledoro
You really don't know how making a public post works, do you?
No, you wrong, I do. Maybe I can't read with understanding, but so you can't.
I didn't use PM because I don't want to waste his time (Mr. Perry I mean).
It's not my first forum.
But it's the first forum so aggressive.
I  read this tread before posting and I can't understand - why me? Why me make you so aggressive? Why my post? There are many posts about this same. 54 pages of it.
Why don't you attack user, asking about how pronounce "žyautja"?
It's not movie canon.
Why don't you attack users, disputing about Yautja society? Or money? Or anything else?
It's not movie canon too.
When I read Perry's book - they are about Predators I love. When I read comic novel War, Trill of the Hunt or something like this -  they are about Predators I love.When I watch P1 or P2 - they are about Predators I love. That's all. I'm not an expert and I never will. It's too difficult in my situation. I just love it.
You can love Predators, Yautja, Hish or leopards. I don't care. I want to thank Mr. Perry, because  I love his books . His books make  my love Predators/Yautja grow up.
I'm not a little girl, I don't like so aggressive and parenting behaviour. It's so sad and irritating at this same time. I don't need discussion like this. I don't need to prove my right.

So I give up.

I think it's very sad that Mr. Perry must read all this bullshit to find question to him.

Dear Mr. Domino. Thank you.  :)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2009, 04:39:52 AM
Mal you're breaking my balls man. You're breaking my balls.
Sorry, man; collateral damage. You gotta break a few balls to make a... Uh, never mind...

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 03, 2009, 04:51:44 AM
And you don't seem to notice that we're not talking about Michael Myers or James T. Kirk or James Bond, or any other icon here, we're talking about a race of beings. They aren't going to act alike or think alike any more than you or I would. I think reading stories about different Predators who all acted exactly the same would be thoroughly boring.
And you don't seem to notice that you had missed my point entirely.

Dear keylight-di,

Instead of accusing me (or any other opponent) of being aggressive, why not acknowledge the points I had made?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed