Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,659 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: RagingDragon on Sep 23, 2009, 07:10:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2007, 11:05:48 PM
Think it comes from the fact that your Alien novels are old. And with that age comes the blandness in your writing. Looking back, Earth Hive isn't a very inspired or well written novel compared to some of the new ones. Same goes for most of the old A/v/P novels. You're best work in said franchise were the team ups with Stephani or Diane, whatever she's going by these days?

I'm looking forward to reading Turnabout to see how you've developed.

Okay, this was too much, can't keep my mouth shut.  I didn't even bother to read the other 38 pages of posts.

This is unbelievable, between you, Corporal Hicks, and SiL.  You are the kinds of fans that make professional creators as well as other, normal, fans, tear their hair out.  Anyone who reads this crap can see why most creators that get work with the Aliens and Predator franchises either never talk to anyone and turn off their phones, or try and make themselves available to fans and end up handling way more stress than they need.

I'm a big fan, a large and grotesquely huge fan, of both properties, but seriously, you guys are embarrassing.  Mr. Perry comes on here, a busy professional that is way cooler than most of you ever will be, to talk to fans, and not only does SiL get into random, pointless, and absurdly stupid pissing contests about his idiotic opinions, then the MODERATOR comes on and calls Mr. Perry's writing bland and uninspired.  Someone please tell me I read that wrong.  You're fired, dude.

I've never seen anything like this, if he sticks around, I think he deserves an apology from this backwards inbred fanbase.  I wouldn't give you morons the time of day.  :D

I agree with you to a certain extent since I think it's rude to attack Steve Perry like this... I mean, it's not like you get the chance to "talk" to people related to the three different franchises (Alien, Predator and AVP) every day; we should be thankful and we should consider ourselves honored that novelists, cartoonists, directors etc. actually take their time to "talk" to us.
But on the other hand you (RagingDragon) should watch your mouth as well since you're basically sucking up to Mr. Perry and call everyone, who doesn't feel the same way you do about your idol, "backward inbred" morons among other things.

Steve Perry writes Alien vs. Predator novels, not just Predator novels. I'm not saying that he's obligated to treat the Aliens with the same respect as the Predators since he openly stated that he doesn't care (as) much about the Aliens (as much as he does about the Preds)... but by portraying the Aliens as cannon fodder space ants and nothing more than that, he should be prepared and not surprised at all that us Alien fans will protest about it. There's nothing weird about that. He knows that the Alien part of the AVP franchise has a huge fan-base - fan-base that is tired of watching their favorite monster being treated like crap.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteBut on the other hand you (RagingDragon) should watch your mouth as well since you're basically sucking up to Mr. Perry and call everyone, who doesn't feel the same way you do about your idol, "backward inbred" morons among other things.
Well it isn't exactly "sucking up", because I'd agree with his assessment no matter what professional personality was taking the time to come here and answer questions. Even if it were the Brothers Strause, who I'm sure don't have a lot of fans, I think they deserve respect for taking time to come here and answer questions.

I think RagingDragon's point is that even if you don't agree with what the author has to say, they still deserve to have their opinion respected. Attacking or insulting them accomplishes nothing other than spoil the party for the people who do want to ask questions.
Hell, I don't agree with Mr. Perry's opinions on everything, but they're his opinions and I can respect that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 23, 2009, 10:13:06 PM
Well it isn't exactly "sucking up", because I'd agree with his assessment no matter what professional personality was taking the time to come here and answer questions. Even if it were the Brothers Strause, who I'm sure don't have a lot of fans, I think they deserve respect for taking time to come here and answer questions.

I think RagingDragon's point is that even if you don't agree with what the author has to say, they still deserve to have their opinion respected. Attacking or insulting them accomplishes nothing other than spoil the party for the people who do want to ask questions.
Hell, I don't agree with Mr. Perry's opinions on everything, but they're his opinions and I can respect that.

Which I totally agree with. But - and a big BUT indeed, Steve Perry is writing novels that are both about Aliens and Predators, and, as I said, both franchises/creatures have huge fan-bases. This means that he should accept the fact that people will criticize his way of dealing with the Aliens. The problem is when the fans attack him on his own forum thread, because that's pretty immature to say the least... and it is just as immature of Steve Perry's fans to counter-attack the Aliens fans like that. Just saying.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I see where you're coming from, but there's a difference between "criticism" and "attacking". Like, there are people in this thread who have disagreed with Steve Perry's books, but they did it in a level-headed manner that wasn't attacking him. They were just expressing their opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

As far as myself being immature to "counter-attack," I would probably use the word "reaction."  I think my reaction was too measured, and in hindsight would cuss and flip out even more, as I think it's well overdue and would make me feel even better.

Sucking up to Mr. Perry?  I've actually never considered myself a "Steve Perry Fan."  I'm an Aliens/Predator fan, also Star Wars, and Steve does great work for both.  I think he is a talented writer, and respect his success, but you make it out like I rushed to his defense while waving the Steve Perry Fan Club banner (which is also changing the subject.)  Please, I'm sick, very very sick of reading the crap that certain of the fans have to spew out.  It happens way too often, and makes the rest of us look like idiots.  They should not only expect reactions from people who don't appreciate their rude and argumentative comments, they also deserve them.

There is a clear difference between stating your opinion and being an asshole.  It's not hard to realize, and the asshole line was crossed a long time ago.  I can hurl insults at the fanbase because I am, in fact, a fan, and I don't want to identify with people who don't know when they are being assholes.
I actually love it, because "fans" can say whatever they want, because they have some divine right as fans.  When the tables are turned, however, and someone tells them to shut the hell up, they run screaming.  Even worse, and why I was even more pissed off, is that the moderator, after the fact, instead of "moderating," decides it's apparently a beautiful time to inform Mr. Perry about how bland his writing is, and how excited he is to see if he's "transformed."  I laughed out loud, you've lost your f**king mind?

If anyone would like a crash course in how to have a reasonable social interaction with another human being, let me know.  It will shine some light in your dark, mountain-dew-and-tacquitos-smelling parents basement where you live.

If the shoe fits, if not, please, enjoy the rest of the forum.

And thanks, Xenomrph, for the comments, I am excited to go read your exchange! :D

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: RagingDragon on Sep 23, 2009, 11:11:27 PM
If the shoe fits, if not, please, enjoy the rest of the forum.

You are absolutely right about that, but still - Steve Perry is writing Alien vs. Predator novels, and he even admitted that he cares way more about the Predators and that he doesn't think that the Aliens are that big of a deal really, which is pretty damn provocative and Steve Perry should know that. With that said I'm not defending the childish behavior of some of the Alien fans here - on the contrary! I also think it's a pity and quite embarrassing that people lash out at Steve Perry on his own thread here on the forums. If they want to bash him they can do it elsewhere but not here.

Oh, and I'm sorry if I offended you *not being sarcastic*.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I've had what alcoholics call a moment of clarity.  I would rather new people like me come into this forum and see interesting discussions with Steve Perry, not read other's rude remarks and my hostile and merciless reaction to them.

This is in no way an apology, I've just said my 2 cents worth.  I hope this crap doesn't happen again so we can all have a nice forum to visit.  I'm a rather nice fellow, and I hate doing this, but justice must prevail.

Now I have to remember the questions I wanted to ask before I became uncontrollably enraged...

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 23, 2009, 11:31:05 PM

You are absolutely right about that, but still - Steve Perry is writing Alien vs. Predator novels, and he even admitted that he cares way more about the Predators and that he doesn't think that the Aliens are that big of a deal really, which is pretty damn provocative and Steve Perry should know that. With that said I'm not defending the childish behavior of some of the Alien fans here - on the contrary! I also think it's a pity and quite embarrassing that people lash out at Steve Perry on his own thread here on the forums. If they want to bash him they can do it elsewhere but not here.

Oh, and I'm sorry if I offended you *not being sarcastic*.

And this.. this is a good discussion.  The opportunity to talk about this is excellent, and I understand.  You didn't offend me, wasn't talking about you :)

Have a nice day.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Perry has tough skin.  And karate.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: RagingDragon on Sep 23, 2009, 11:37:52 PM
And this.. this is a good discussion.  The opportunity to talk about this is excellent, and I understand.  You didn't offend me, wasn't talking about you :).  

Have a nice day.

Indeed! I'm looking forward to see more of your posts!

Welcome to the forums!

xenomorph36

xenomorph36

the main reason corporal hicks some times makes mistakes in the forum is not because he is evil, but i think it has to do with his maturity. he is still young and he needs a lot more to learn how to treat other people. Thats just my two cents.

hope i dont get banned for this though  :D

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Nobodies perfect. Even I managed to post an inflammatory remark against a visiting artist once - and I wasn't even trying! This being the anonymous interwebs, you just have to take the good with the bad and hope the artists can do the same.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Sep 24, 2009, 10:54:49 PM
the main reason corporal hicks some times makes mistakes in the forum is not because he is evil, but i think it has to do with his maturity. he is still young and he needs a lot more to learn how to treat other people. Thats just my two cents.

hope i dont get banned for this though  :D

Point out another instance for me. I wasn't attacking him. It was criticism. And it applies to a lot of old books. But then look at my review of his Turnabout. Which I raved about. It was hardly attacking.

It's hardly much different from xeno's dig at me claiming me to be immature. That's offensive. Yet posted in a critical matter. I wouldn't give it much credence but that's his opinion, he's entitled to it.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

There's a very fine line between criticism and an attack, and the post Xeno was referring to skirted it rather questionably.

Starting off a rebuttal with 'show me another instance' is not exactly the most convincing reason that what you said was not what it was accused of being, but if you're really looking for another 'instance', I don't feel like you handled the situation that arose with Zach Howard very well. Of course I'm biased concerning that 'instance', but you made me out to be the villain to try and get him to come back when he had already insulted everyone on these forums.

In content, there was not much difference between your 'criticism' of Mr. Perry and Xeno's 'criticism' of you, but frankly, Xeno was able to spit his two cents out much more diplomatically, and I think that the fact that you find such a simple statement offensive in my book only concretes what Xeno said.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

People toss around "Xeno" and I keep thinking they're referring to me, because "xenomorph36" doesn't have a capital X in his name. :p

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 25, 2009, 03:13:13 PM
People toss around "Xeno" and I keep thinking they're referring to me, because "xenomorph36" doesn't have a capital X in his name. :p

IT'S ALL UR FOLT!!!!11!!11  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed