The PredBen

The PredBen

I pronounced it Yut Ja.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: sdp on May 15, 2009, 08:55:25 PM
Quote from: stephen on May 15, 2009, 12:10:42 AM
Welcome Danelle.

It would be great if you could stay around and answer some questions if you're not too busy.  And thank you for being a part and adding to the great Aliens/predator franchise.

Thank you! I'll happily answer a couple of questions, but since this is my dad's board, I'll likely just lurk around occasionally. By the by, my friends and family call me Danelle, and I write under S.D., except for the first couple of books. Stephani Danelle Perry is my full name.

1. Whats it like working with your dad?

Daunting at first, but primarily awesome. I think he's an excellent writer, and he's always treated me/my work respectfully.

2. Whats your favourite Aliens/Predator film and why?

Hmm... Having read most of the posts here, I'm hesitant to respond without a bunch of disclaimers. Obviously, it's a matter of personal taste. That said, you should know that I'm a horror fan, big time. So, Alien, for sheer creepiness.

3. Out of the books you've written/co-written - do you have a favourite?

A favorite? I dunno... Honestly, I really liked working on Criminal Enterprise, although I've taken some flack for using the aliens as guard dogs, rather than major "characters". I concede the point, but still thought the story was good. I liked AvP War... and the graphic novel for AvP Prey was top-notch. It's always more fun to adapt something well-written.

4. Which kind of scenes do you find are the most difficult to write?

Never thought about it. The first chapter of anything, I suppose, since I have an obnoxious, natural tendency towards exposition.

5. Which kind of scenes do you find the easiest to write?

The ones I like. That sounds dumb, maybe, but there you go--I like scary scenes, I like action and dialogue 'cause it fills up pages quickly.

I hope you can stay and hang around.

Thank you again!

Y hello thar.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Steve, any news on future novels yet?

steveperry

steveperry

Far as I know, no new A, P, or AvP novels currently being let at DH at the moment. I could be wrong.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Fair enough. You plan on checking out the new A/v/P comics?

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

It'll be interesting to see if DH tries to restart an AVP novel line in tune with the AVP comic and game releases next year.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

It would be sweet if Fox/DH asked Steve to write the "Predators" movie-novel or maybe a novel, related to "Predators", in someway.

Please forgive me, if this was already asked in previous posts, here:

Steve, are you excited about "Predators"? What are your thoughts? Did you read the first draft Rodriguez wrote? I know the script is being re-written by Alex and Michael, so there could be some MAJOR changes.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Just offhand and speaking out of turn, I don't know from what I've heard so far about the film that I would want Mr. Perry writing the novelization. He did a great job actually giving the predator character some depth, making him more than just a slasher villain with high-tech weaponry, but sadly, it seems Rodriguez is really wanting to go with the slasher concept for this film. So I'd much rather see Mr. Perry write something non-Predators, just because I don't like the 'new' concept.

That being said, though, if somehow the Preds in the new film actually end up being somewhat three-dimensional, than I can't think of a better writer for the job.

Again, just off-the-cuff and I apologize for speaking out of turn since the question was directed at Mr. Perry.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Jul 22, 2009, 02:56:16 PM
Just offhand and speaking out of turn, I don't know from what I've heard so far about the film that I would want Mr. Perry writing the novelization. He did a great job actually giving the predator character some depth, making him more than just a slasher villain with high-tech weaponry, but sadly, it seems Rodriguez is really wanting to go with the slasher concept for this film. So I'd much rather see Mr. Perry write something non-Predators, just because I don't like the 'new' concept.

I so agree 100% with you Mr. Domino.

-Rakai'Thwei

xenomorph36

xenomorph36

mannnnnnnnn. i just read like 30 pages  and i think you guys are being way to harsh( even corporal hicks) . Surely he has a different opinion on the sake of the whole alien franchise and i disagree with a lot of his ideas but that doesnt mean we should try to change his opinion either. Oh well  :-\

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Welcome to the internet. Every one is convinced that their opinion is the only one that matters, and are too immature to a) think about what they're saying every once in a while, or b) acknowledge the validity of an opposing viewpoint.

Now, that being said, that doesn't describe everyone here. Just, you know, most people.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Jul 22, 2009, 02:56:16 PM

That being said, though, if somehow the Preds in the new film actually end up being somewhat three-dimensional, than I can't think of a better writer for the job.

Again, just off-the-cuff and I apologize for speaking out of turn since the question was directed at Mr. Perry.

I haven't read the script, and haven't heard much about it. Nobody has contacted me regarding the tie-in, so chances are there are people here who know more about it than I do. Would I be interested in doing a novelization? If it was a good script and I could run with it? Sure.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the phone to ring, though ...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Mr. Perry, I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a "guest audio commentary" for a video series I create - the videos are usually 10-15 minutes long and you'd just talk about pretty much whatever you felt like (hopefully as it related to what was happening on-screen :p).

If you're not interested or you don't think you'd have time for it, that's okay. I just figured that it couldn't hurt to ask, right? :)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2007, 11:05:48 PM
Think it comes from the fact that your Alien novels are old. And with that age comes the blandness in your writing. Looking back, Earth Hive isn't a very inspired or well written novel compared to some of the new ones. Same goes for most of the old A/v/P novels. You're best work in said franchise were the team ups with Stephani or Diane, whatever she's going by these days?

I'm looking forward to reading Turnabout to see how you've developed.

Okay, this was too much, can't keep my mouth shut.  I didn't even bother to read the other 38 pages of posts.

This is unbelievable, between you, Corporal Hicks, and SiL.  You are the kinds of fans that make professional creators as well as other, normal, fans, tear their hair out.  Anyone who reads this crap can see why most creators that get work with the Aliens and Predator franchises either never talk to anyone and turn off their phones, or try and make themselves available to fans and end up handling way more stress than they need.

I'm a big fan, a large and grotesquely huge fan, of both properties, but seriously, you guys are embarrassing.  Mr. Perry comes on here, a busy professional that is way cooler than most of you ever will be, to talk to fans, and not only does SiL get into random, pointless, and absurdly stupid pissing contests about his idiotic opinions, then the MODERATOR comes on and calls Mr. Perry's writing bland and uninspired.  Someone please tell me I read that wrong.  You're fired, dude.

I've never seen anything like this, if he sticks around, I think he deserves an apology from this backwards inbred fanbase.  I wouldn't give you morons the time of day.  :D

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

If you want a really fun read, check out the argument "Carnal Calligraphy" and I had around page 30 or something like that, it was essentially about the same thing. Carnal Calligraphy posted about how Mr. Perry "owed" the fans certain things or some nonsense, I and I replied with "you're out of your goddamn mind", and we went back and forth on it for several pages.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed