Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,656 times)

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2009, 10:09:19 PM
Got any choice comic book titles you've been reading as of late?

I re-read Watchmen recently. Still liked the comic -- way better than the movie.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I like the Watchmen graphic novel quite a bit, but I much prefer the movie's ending.

Zach Snyder said we can expect a huge multi-disc DVD release for the movie that'll be super-faithful to the comic in the same way the Lord of the Rings movies/DVDs were handled; I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Hudson

Hudson

If I get an agent, and I want to write an original Aliens novel, what do I do?

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 30, 2009, 09:59:36 PM
If I get an agent, and I want to write an original Aliens novel, what do I do?

So here is the hard truth:

Write other science fiction and fantasy novels and get some solid credits. The folks at Dark Horse -- when they have books to let -- can pick and choose writers, and they want people they know can deliver clean work, on time.

If you have no professional credits as a fiction writer, it is past unlikely that you can get the gig. Why would they take a chance on somebody they don't know when they can get a pro they know who will give them what they want?

If they have a license to do, say, five books, there are easily a hundred writers they can get hold of with credit sheets out the wazoo who would love to take a crack at them.

Newbs tend to say, "Yeah, well, but I have a fantastic idea for a book!"

And editors tend to yawn and say, "Yeah, so?"

Lot of folks have good ideas for books -- but good ideas are cheap, and what is more important is the ability to turn the idea into a finished novel. Without some credits to wave at 'em, they don't know you, and have no reason to trust that you can pull it off.

Say you break your leg and you need orthopedic surgery. Who would you choose -- a doctor who had done that surgery a hundred times successfully, or one who hadn't done it once?

That's how it is in most franchised universes. You have to earn your way in.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: steveperry on Apr 02, 2009, 11:57:02 PM
Say you break your leg and you need orthopedic surgery. Who would you choose -- a doctor who had done that surgery a hundred times successfully, or one who hadn't done it once?

that's a gem right there

Alien³

Alien³

Hey Steve
I'm now about to read Aliens Criminal Enterprise,
I can't wait been looking forward to reading this for a while :)

Question: I've written a sci-fi, adventure, romance novel and I'm trying
to find an literacy agent or a publisher to accept my novel submission.
I believe in my work a lot but things seem to be going a bit slow at the
present moment. Is there anything you could do to help?
Or any contacts you know who would be interested in having a look at it?

I posted a topic about my novel on here a few months back. Here is the
link http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=21482.0

Thanks

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Alien3 on Apr 03, 2009, 10:35:54 AM
Hey Steve

Thanks

It's a slow business, and no real way to hurry it up. Get online and get a list of agents who are willing to look at new writers -- or get Writers Markets and see if there are still book houses reading unagented writers. Write a short cover letter, tell them who you are -- any credits that might help -- and a little about the book. One page, max. Send it off, with SASE for a reply, and then you wait ...

Last I heard, Dark Horse wasn't doing any new A, P, or AvP for a while, and the book biz has been hit by the recession just like everybody else, but there never has been a good time to get into writing novels, least not as long as I have been doing it. If you have something they think they can sell, you have a shot. If not, you'll have to try again.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: steveperry on Apr 04, 2009, 06:16:42 PM
Quote from: Alien3 on Apr 03, 2009, 10:35:54 AM
Hey Steve

Thanks

It's a slow business, and no real way to hurry it up. Get online and get a list of agents who are willing to look at new writers -- or get Writers Markets and see if there are still book houses reading unagented writers. Write a short cover letter, tell them who you are -- any credits that might help -- and a little about the book. One page, max. Send it off, with SASE for a reply, and then you wait ...

Last I heard, Dark Horse wasn't doing any new A, P, or AvP for a while, and the book biz has been hit by the recession just like everybody else, but there never has been a good time to get into writing novels, least not as long as I have been doing it. If you have something they think they can sell, you have a shot. If not, you'll have to try again.

Thank you, I have sent quite a lot submissions out but I guess is sitting and waiting and sending more out. The thing about my novel is I think its a hard concept to get across, although I believe it is a fresh story which has never been told before. It is just getting that idea across to sell.
I'll start that list of agents.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work :)

steveperry

steveperry

"I believe it is a fresh story which has never been told before"

Probably not. What makes it fresh, however much that might be, is that you are telling it, and you are unique. There are only three plots, and I'd be real surprised if you had come up with a story nobody has ever told before.

First piece of fiction I wrote was for an English III assignment, when I was sixteen. The story was about how aliens, bent on conquest, landed on Earth and sent a scouting party to see how tough the opposition would be. First house they came to belonged to Dracula, who was giving a party for the Wolf Man and friends.

It didn't have a title, but I could have easily called it Monsters Versus Aliens. I wrote that piece forty-five years ago ...

Nobody

Nobody

Hello Mr. Perry. You and your daughter are some of my favorite authors to the alien franchise. I enjoyed your whole concept so much I'm beginning my own little fan story about what occurs during Wilks's and Billie's trip to the Alien planet..

I do plan on referencing some of the major characters and having it center around Spears and the USCMC more. Every little detail I'm trying to use, just to make this something worth reading. I have the preview right here:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=23112.0

Perhaps a little advice or feedback from the man who started it all?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Don't think he can legally read it dude.

Nobody

Nobody

Legally?

Why?

Hudson

Hudson

Mr. Perry,

Thankyou for your informative response. I find it kind ironic that in such an enormous market, Fox has consistently (and most of the time successfully) risked inexperienced and unknown folks in the directors chair, but in a much smaller market Dark Horse looks only for the most popular and experienced writers. I understand that the mediums are very different, but as I understand there are some pretty defined boundaries that would restrict and control any author whether experienced or not.

steveperry

steveperry

They aren't like thee and me down in LaLaLand. Larry McMurtry says that going to Hollywood is like going to a town of very powerful two-year-olds, and it's true. It's amazing sometimes that any good movies ever make it to the screen, the process is so arcane.

With an original book, it's the writer and the editor. In a tie-in, a shared universe, you have to add in the property owner.

With a movie, there are scores of people who can make it better or worse, and it only takes one or two to completely wreck it. You have producers, directors, actors, writers, film editors, composers, set designers, decorators, sound guys, and if all of them do their jobs well and the studio doesn't screw it up, maybe you get a great picture. It's a collaborative medium, and when it all goes well, the results are gold.

In Hollywood, a lot of people think the least important member of the above-the-line team is the writer.
And if the story isn't there, or it's badly-told, then you start out with two strikes against you. It's much more likely that a good script will get messed up than it is a bad script will get made better. You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

steveperry

steveperry

Fan-fic. Yeah, my lawyer won't let me read it. The reason is simple: Let's say I was writing a tie-in for DH and one of the elements in my story was the same as one of yours. You might think that I swiped it from you, and get pissed off enough to sue. (You can't really do that and expect to win, since neither of us own the property, it belongs to somebody else, so it's not yours, nor mine to fret about, we aren't the copyright holders.) But even a frivolous lawsuit takes time and money to fight, and while you might not be the guy to up and sue, there are people who believe they have some kind of ownership of a property because they wrote a story. Hey, he stole my idea!

I know people who have gotten death-threats from fans regarding such things.

If I don't read it, never saw it, then that's how I defend against such things. Lot of people come with with the same idea, happens all the time. But if I never saw yours, I can't swipe it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed