Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 189,028 times)

steveperry

steveperry

Projects are different. Usually we do an outline in advance. Sometimes, one of us does a first draft, and the other guy rewrites it. Sometimes, we alternate sections -- either chapter by chapter, or maybe one guy writes about one character, the other writer does a different one. Action sequence or exposition. Depends on several things that tend to vary from book to book.

Each collaborator is also different. Sometimes one of the writers is senior and directs things. Sometimes the partnership is more equal. Generally, somebody is designated as the writer who has the last pass; otherwise, you could ship stuff back and forth forever and never get done. Depends too, upon the deadline for the publisher. Usually each writer gets a pass and one of them does the final touch-up.

With my daughter, I was the senior writer. She did most of the work, and I touched it up. With Michael, the first books we did, he was the senior writer, and that's how it went. Later, after we were more on a par, that shifted.

If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. The biggest drawbacks are two: One, is that you don't get to do it all your way; you have to allow room for the other writer to put his or her opinion in and sometimes you don't agree. You have to let that go.

Plus you only get half the money.

I like doing my own stuff better for those two reason -- nobody tells me what I can write, and I get the full advance, less my agent's cut.

Somewhere in a drawer I have a collaboration, an (unpublished) short story I did with Bill Gibson years ago. One of these days, I'm gonna put it up on eBay and see how much it's worth.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Awesome, thanks for the insight. :)

Tangentially, what's your opinion on "pet" characters? This is sort of more of a Star Wars franchise thing where certain authors seem to exclusively write about their "pet" characters, or at least feature them in their stories (Timothy Zahn's use of Mara Jade and Thrawn, Michael Stackpole's use of Corran Horn, Michael Reaves' use of I-5YQ).
Some authors I've noticed ONLY write stories about their characters and pretty much make them take the front seat in their stories (this is more the case with Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole) while others like Michael Reaves will feature their characters but not really make them the focus of the action; they're just sort of "there".

steveperry

steveperry

If you create a character, you want to play with him, her, or it, especially in a shared-universe. There are constraints on all of the players, but fewer on somebody who is not movie-canon. And sometimes they get popular enough to make a jump into higher status. Mara Jade has become one of the most popular female characters in SW's.

I've seen artwork, one-off figurines, cards, and did a comic book miniseries featuring Guri, my human replica droid. Xizor and even Dash Rendar have gone beyond Shadows. Michael's I-5 has recurring roles in his underground noir SW's books. (He's Reaves's creation, but I named him -- for the interstate highway between where I live and where Reaves lives ...)

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

Just a quick question. Will we see new AVP novels anytime soon?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: steveperry on Mar 04, 2009, 12:28:25 AM
If you create a character, you want to play with him, her, or it, especially in a shared-universe. There are constraints on all of the players, but fewer on somebody who is not movie-canon. And sometimes they get popular enough to make a jump into higher status. Mara Jade has become one of the most popular female characters in SW's.

I've seen artwork, one-off figurines, cards, and did a comic book miniseries featuring Guri, my human replica droid. Xizor and even Dash Rendar have gone beyond Shadows. Michael's I-5 has recurring roles in his underground noir SW's books. (He's Reaves's creation, but I named him -- for the interstate highway between where I live and where Reaves lives ...)
I know I-5 is in the Medstar books and he's in the Coruscant Nights ones (and I guess he's indirectly referenced in Death Star) but didn't he also show up in Reaves' old "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" book, too?

By the way, if you're ever looking for something to get Michael Reaves for his birthday, I-5 is getting his own action figure later this year. :P

steveperry

steveperry

Far as I know, no AvP novels coming from Dark Horse in the near future.

First came Aliens, then Predators, and getting the two together was Dark Horse's idea, but that needed permission from both franchises.  One of the reasons it took so long to get AvP the movie done, all that had to be hashed out.

Once the AvP movies got made, the rights got even more tangled up, and last I heard, DH didn't have a license for books AvP. Could always change, of course.

I-5 action figure. Funny.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

This may have already been asked somewhere, (if it was I couldn't find it) but do you know if Michael Jan Friedman (or anyone else for that matter) is planning on ever making good on any of the plot hooks that he started in Original Sin? I know opinions have been mixed on that book, but I liked it overall despite its flaws, and would like to see those ideas explored more fully.

SM

SM

Which plot hooks?

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

The stuff about 'Loki', and the Jockeys trying to breed or what the hell-ever. It didn't make much sense, but I thought if fleshed out and tweaked a bit, it could make for some really interesting stories. I don't know, perhaps I'm alone in this opinion.

SM

SM

If it's just you and me talking - then yeah you're alone.  ;) Though I;m sure there are others out there who want to see it expanded.  Personally I hated that aspect of Original Sin.  The whole "Company knew all along" is not supported by the films.  Including the Jockies in the conspiracy, just pushed it WAY over the top.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Mar 13, 2009, 01:54:26 AM
The stuff about 'Loki', and the Jockeys trying to breed or what the hell-ever. It didn't make much sense, but I thought if fleshed out and tweaked a bit, it could make for some really interesting stories. I don't know, perhaps I'm alone in this opinion.

what was original sin about? could you provide some spoilers?

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Mar 11, 2009, 04:40:18 PM
This may have already been asked somewhere, (if it was I couldn't find it) but do you know if Michael Jan Friedman (or anyone else for that matter) is planning on ever making good on any of the plot hooks that he started in Original Sin? I know opinions have been mixed on that book, but I liked it overall despite its flaws, and would like to see those ideas explored more fully.

Got me. I haven't heard anything about going any farther down this road.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I don't think I saw this question asked earlier, but what do you like to read for fun? Genres, authors, series, topics, etc.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2009, 06:07:20 PM
I don't think I saw this question asked earlier, but what do you like to read for fun? Genres, authors, series, topics, etc.

A wide swath of material -- SF, fantasy, mystery, mainstream, non-fiction, biographies, science, philosophy, religion, newspapers, blogs, pretty much anything well-written that comes to hand -- books, magazines, short stories, comics, even cereal boxes ...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Got any choice comic book titles you've been reading as of late?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed