Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I lurked for a long ass time.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I said I was joking. :P

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I know, but I did read some of the epic arguments long before I even attempted to register.  It was back in the day to the point where somehow I thought I'd be in trouble if I'd tried to register using my Highschool email as a freshman.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

"Back in the day" gives me no frame of reference if I don't know how old you are now. :P

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I graduated at 17 in 2003.  I might've actually been a sophmore and not a freshman.  I was a couple of years younger when I first started reading gg as oppossed to the age I was when I registered.

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMIf you are going to take the Alien concept, a baby that is inarguably more ours than yours, you should dig deep inside yourself and find what responsibility you can.

That, my friend, is a suggestion.

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMNo Alien fan will just stand there as you, of all people, tells them that their beloved icon is utterly insignificant because you don't like certain films in the franchise.

Frankly, your assertion that this statement in particular being a demand baffles me . This is not (in the least) a demand. To the contrary, this is quite obviously an observation... Plus, I've already admitted that I was being presumptuous.

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMIf you ask me, you f**king should.

This statement is stated the way it is so that it wouldn't be taken as a demand. The "IF YOU ASK ME" part is placed before the statement to indicate that it is an opinion. You've taken what I've said out of context, and you shouldn't argue with the master of semantics. What I said, as you can read above, is that "If you ask me, you f**king should". I don't think that's out of line at all, and I wasn't Demanding that he should. I was simply stating that, that was how I feel.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMWait a minute, you take personal offense that someone holds a different viewpoint than you? Oh, okay.

Uh... Yeah. Most people take offense to different viewpoints, especially if they are being projected in a public light. A little analogy. A white supremacist has all the right to believe what he believes. If that hypothetical supremacist is to write literature on the subject, however, and has subsequently made his opinions a public matter, he has then automatically opened himself up to public scrutiny.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMit is not "your" xenomorph. It's FOX's creature, to do with as they see fit. You didn't create it.

Okay... I never said I created it. I do support it financially, though, much like an investor. Do investors not partially control the product?

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMPretty sure the Alien has never been shown as a German shepherd with an exoskeleton

That was an OBVIOUS reference to Perry's comparison of the Alien to a German Shepherd, in which he did in fact say that he thought it had intelligence relative of that of a German Shepherd. I didn't expect you to know that, being as though you haven't even been following the f**king thread. My entire post was based around what he has said in this thread, and I have openly stated that I haven't read any of his work. He has said that he doesn't think that Aliens can run with Humans and Predators.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 10, 2008, 01:24:41 AMseriously don't understand what point you're trying to make with this bit.

I was displaying how easy it would be to give the Alien an advantage in certain aspects of a fight.
Now, please stop trying to argue with me about something that wasn't directed at you in the first place. I have all the right to express my concerns. So, stop kissing Steve Perry's ass. It's pathetic. I've never seen a dick rider quite like you, and to be frank, it's getting a bit irritating. Say what you will, but let Mr. Perry respond to the questions directed at him, because, if what you say is true, he can do it SO much more eloquently than you.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Please, tell me more about your sense of entitlement as a fan. It's truly fascinating. Really, it is.

No really, I'm serious. Your posts are hilarious, and it's been a great source of comedy for me and my friends and co-workers.
Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 10, 2008, 05:22:21 PM
"    If you ask me, you f**king should."

This statement is stated the way it is so that it wouldn't be taken as a demand. The IF YOU ASK ME part is placed before the statement to indicate that it is an opinion.

You've taken what I've said out of context, and you shouldn't argue with the master of semantics. I said, as you can read above, that "If you ask me, you f**king should". I don't think that's out of line at all, and I wasn't Demanding that he should. I was simply stating that, that was how I feel.
Look at the phrase "if you ask me, and you f**king should". That can be re-phrased as "you f**king should ask me" and it keeps the same meaning. I mean, come on.

Uh...Yeah. Most people take offense to different viewpoints, especially if they are being projected in a public light. A little analogy. A white supremecist has all the right to believe what he believes, but if he were to write literature on the subject and subsequently make his opinions a public matter then he has automatically opened himself up to public scrutiny.
Whoa whoa whoa, did you just compare Steve Perry's writing to white supremacy literature? Seriously?
You honestly don't see the logical disconnect between getting riled up over hate-speech and getting butthurt because an author "disrespected" a fictional creature you don't control?

Okay... I never said I created it. I do support it financially. Much like an investor. Do investors not partially control the product?
No, you are not an "investor". You are a consumer. If you were a shareholder and owned stock in FOX, you could voice your complaints at the next board meeting. For someone who was trying to lecture me on "economics 101", you've got a hilariously bad understanding of the subject.

Keep in mind, as Steve Perry said earlier in the thread (the thread you claimed you read), everything he writes has to be cleared by FOX. If you've got a grievance with what he did (especially since he was, you know, adapting someone else's work anyway) you should probably take it up with them. Seeing as how they, you know, get to make the decisions with the property they own.

QuoteSo, stop kissing Steve Perry's ass. It's pathetic. I've never seen a dick rider quite like you, and, to be frank, it's getting a bit irritating. Say what you will, but let Mr. Perry respond to the questions directed at him, because, if what you say is true, he can do it SO much more eloquently than you.
I'm not kissing his ass, I'm merely telling another fan to stop being an idiot before he makes the rest of us non-crazy fans look bad.

Also, that little zing at the end there about "more eloquently" would have been more effective if I hadn't said it first. ;)

edit-- had to edit in some choice quotes, just in case you go back to your post and edit out the crazy.

Cetanu

Cetanu

This topic is pointless now, why don't you just start a topic in general discussion and continue arguing there? This is now very off topic, ASK STEVE PERRY not "Fight as you Please".

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Fair enough, I'll quit calling Carnal Calligraphy on the fan insanity if he'll stop posting it. If he wants to PM me, he knows where to find me. :)

War Wager

War Wager

So what exactly did you think of AvPR Mr Perry?

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

Xenomrph, it's sad how you are desperately (and each of your posts are sounding increasingly desperate) defending someone elses honor. I can say whatever the f**k I'd like, and you're not going to stop me with your whiny "stop talking to mr Perry that way, he didn't do anything to you!!! He has a right to his opinion" responses. If your entire argument is founded on the idea that people havie a right to their opinion, and in turn have a right to broadcast it, isn't your argument against me, in effect, redundant? By your own rationale, I have as much of a right to state my opinion as Mr. Perry does. I haven't put a gun to anyones head, yet you're crying over every statement I make because you don't agree.

BTW, I did in fact compare those two. SHOCKING! I'd say that Steve Perry's German Shepherd Comparison makes up for that. My point was to show you how someone can be offended, and you obviously didn't follow. Let me ask you, do you lag behind in classes? I know of a few programs I can introduce you to.

You asked me how I could be offended by someone elses opinion. While the white supremecist analogy, while perhaps extreme, shows very soundly how someone could be offended by an opinion. Technically, I wasn't comparing anything, I was simply explaining to you how an opinion could offend someone.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

No, I'm criticizing your posts not because of what you're saying, but how you're saying it. You come across as a complete f**king lunatic with your "and you f**king should" nonsense and "my alien" nonsense. Claiming you're an investor? That's just hilarious icing on the cake.
I mean, your question about "how much does input from the fans influence your work?" question you posed in your first post was a legitimately interesting one and I'd actually like to hear it answered. But to follow it up with "we pay your salary" and "you disrespected my Alien by likening it to a German Shepherd" and all the rest of the wacky shit you've been spewing set off my bullshit-o-meter and caused me to call you on it. You may think I'm getting "more desperate with every post" or whatever, but you're still acting like a rabid fanboy who gives the rest of us a bad name. In the words of one of my friends, "I can't read Carnal Calligraphy's posts in anything BUT the voice of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons".

QuoteBTW, I did in fact compare those two. SHOCKING! I'd say that Steve Perry's German Shepherd Comparison makes up for that. My point was to show you how someone can be offended, and you obviously didn't follow.
You're damn right I don't follow, because you're getting personally offended by someone else's opinion of a fictional creature, and to top it off you used a comparison to white supremacy literature to explain yourself.
Meanwhile, Steve Perry actually backed his German Shepherd comparison up with citations of what he saw in the movies way back on, like, page six and the pages leading up to it, making your whole complaint reduntant. Other people in the thread including SiL, SM, Khimari, and others all voiced opinions in disagreement with Steve Perry's when it comes to the German Shepherd analogy (and shit, even *I* don't really agree with the analogy) but none of them claimed to be personally offended by the disagreement in opinion, or calling it "their" Alien. Therein lies the difference.

QuoteLet me ask you, do you lag behind in classes? I know of a few programs I can introduce you to.
Was that an ad hominem attack? Another logical fallacy, sort of like the "no true Scotsman" you pulled earlier in the thread? Nice.
But shit, I'll field the question, why not? I graduated with Honors with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Philosophy from Northern Arizona University in 2006 (GPA of 3.86, Summa Cum Laude), and am currently working on my Masters degree.

...not that it has any bearing on the topic whatsoever.

QuoteYou asked me how I could be offended by someone elses opinion. While the white supremecist analogy, while perhaps extreme, shows very soundly how someone could be offended by an opinion. Technically, I wasn't comparing anything, I was simply explaining to you how an opinion could offend someone.
Please, backpedal some more. It's hilarious.

Edit-- here, I'll even make you a deal. You go back and cut down your first post to just the "how much do fans influence you?" question I mentioned earlier, and excise everything else, and I will delete every post I've made in this thread (and by proxy, you'd delete every post arguing with me, since it makes little sense to leave them there) and we can call a "truce" or whatever and finally get this thread back on track. You keep your legitimate question for Steve Perry to answer (he already "answered for" your German Shepherd complaint earlier in the thread, if you care to read it), and all the fighting and your crazy fanboy rantings go away, and the thread continues. Sounds very reasonable, no?

SM

SM

PMs - you needz dem.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

We need a cat picture.  Pronto.

SM

SM

srsly

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed