Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,646 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: steveperry on Sep 05, 2008, 04:36:40 PM
Write a treatment, which is movie-speak for an outline. Keep it short, and do it as if you are having a beer with a buddy and telling him what the story is. Doesn't have to be formal -- "Okay, so this ship carrying some kind of terraforming robot crash-lands on Earth, and the robot is damaged. It thinks it has arrived at its destination and kicks on, and starts changing the atmosphere, making the Eatrh into a place better suited for Predators than humans ..."
Thanks.

Uh, is that the plot for your next book?

Cetanu

Cetanu

Quote from: steveperry on Sep 05, 2008, 04:36:40 PM
As for yautja, we always pronounced it: "yah-oot-jah," no accent on any of the syllables.

Thanks, I've heard y-ort-jah, yat-juh, y-ought-jah...but it's good to have you clarify it.

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2008, 01:09:55 AM
Perry-san

You added a Japanese thingy to the end of his name ;D (It should be Perry-senpai ;D ;) Just kidding, doesn't matter to me...)

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2008, 01:09:55 AM
whenever I have to write anything I just jot down the basic sequence of events in a bullet point treatment, then use that as the starting point for the first draft.  Might just be really broad points and the whole thing takes up only half a page, but at least you've got something down and can move on from there.

I just take my idea, write it off the top of my head, read it ten-quadrillion times and change as I go along...then I let my friends critique the writing. That usually works. I just have this thing where I get 60 pages into my story and then get bored, say "Why the heck am I doing this?", and then stop. Eventually I get a new idea and that thing happens again. Does Perry-senpai (;D) have an answer for this?

steveperry

steveperry

Literary bankruptcy happens to all the writers I know. I call it Chapter Eleven, because that's usually where I run into it. Initial enthusiasm flags, you run out of steam. The cure is to keep going, even if what you write sucks, because once you get a draft done, you can always go back and rewrite, and it's easier to do that than come up with original material.

The Dreaded Second Act is what separates the pros from the amateurs. If you stop, you never get anything finished, and if you can't finish it, you can't get it published. Even if you just muddle through and you wind up having to fix most of it, that gets you a whole ms.

(That idea about the terraforming machines was off the top of my head. Or maybe from out another, lower part of my anatomy, I sometimes get accused of writing from there. Anybody wants it is welcome to it.)

Cetanu

Cetanu

Okay, thanks. I had this really great story and got to page...167 (MS Word) and then I just...died. The writing deteriorated and finally (after 6 months) I lost all enthusiasm. After that I spawned 4 other book ideas, all of which have stopped except one, which I just resurrected.

But I see what you're saying. I guess I was always intimidated by having to re-read all of my work and then attempt to fix everything. Besides...with finishing up Flesh and Blood, Turnabout is next on my 'To Read' list ;D

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

In Daschande(spelling?), why would "Shaun" not be the stressed syllable? Understandably, there's no way to scan the etymology of the word, but why not just go with the obvious? Personally, I've never studied your Yautja language, and I'm not sure whether or not you've established a list of subsequent prefixes and suffixes, but Shaun is evidently the stronger of the three.

Also, with continuity and ambiguity becoming such a problem in "expanded universes'", when does what the fans want bear any weight? I suppose that when it comes to fox, that question is actually quite redundant. Why shouldn't the fans, who ultimately pay your salary, have any say so on what is "canon"?

If you are going to take the Alien concept, a baby that is inarguably more ours than yours, you should dig deep inside yourself and find what responsibility you can. Sure, you can systematically deconstruct every detail you find inconvenient about the 'Alien' franchise, but you'll never find an Alien fan who agrees with your assessment of their intelligence. No Alien fan will just stand there as you, of all people, tells them that their beloved icon is utterly insignificant because you don't like certain films in the franchise. The Alien (if you ask me, and you f**king should) is a sleek, beautiful, elegant creature who's constantly being demystified by people like yourself who claim to be sticking to 'canon' facts. All the while telling us that your material is utterly more axiomatic than the actual films, simply because you didn't like them.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 08, 2008, 09:14:28 PMAlso, with continuity and ambiguity becoming such a problem in "expanded universes'", when does what the fans want bear any weight? I suppose that when it comes to fox, that question is actually quite redundant. Why shouldn't the fans, who ultimately pay your salary, have any say so on what is "canon"?
Because we don't pay his salary, FOX/Dark Horse/whomever does, and FOX is the one who owns the license, therefore they get to make the rules. Sure many of FOX's decisions could be influenced by what we, the consumer, say or do, but FOX would still have the final say in the matter. If FOX wants to contract a book where the Aliens are simple insects that really have no power outside of numbers (which has an established basis in the movies anyway), that is their call to make.

As for "what the fans want", I think you addressed this yourself - if there's millions of fans and they're all different, you literally can't please everyone, and to try and please everyone is a simple recipe for failure. If a book doesn't have specific things that make YOU happy and therefore YOU take it as a personal slight against you as a fan, that's really selfish and ignorant of the myriad of other fans who may have actually enjoyed the book.
And the bottom line really is "the bottom line". FOX is out to make money, as is DH Press. If 10% of fans want to see stories about Aliens being cunning killers that outsmart humans and are The Ultimate Creature, but the other 90% of the general audience of readers want to read stories about Colonial Marine badasses who mow down Aliens  because they saw it in 'Aliens' and loved it and "f**k those other sequels they sucked because they weren't 'Aliens' with the Marine badasses", which do you really think FOX is going to authorize?

Edit-- missed this bit the first time around, whoops:

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 08, 2008, 09:14:28 PM
Sure, you can systematically deconstruct every detail you find inconvenient about the 'Alien' franchise, but you'll never find an Alien fan who agrees with your assessment of their intelligence. No Alien fan will just stand there as you, of all people, tells them that their beloved icon is utterly insignificant because you don't like certain films in the franchise.
That is a huge logical fallacy.
And I can absolutely guarantee that you'll find fans who WILL let Steve Perry, of all people, tell them that the Alien is gun-fodder... seeing as how James Cameron already did it already with the most financially successful and critically praised movie in the franchise.
Shit, I might even be one of those aforementioned fans. ;)

The whole second half of your post comes across as this huge "Who do YOU think you are, raping MY franchise by not catering to my explicit desires on what the Alien should be! How DARE you not consult ME first before writing your book, you inconsiderate jerk!" rant.
Here's a hint: it makes you look like an asshole, and embodies everything people see as negative when talking about a "fandom".

SM

SM

QuoteI just have this thing where I get 60 pages into my story and then get bored, say "Why the heck am I doing this?", and then stop.

Simple answer to that is 'write shorter stories'.

(Okay maybe not "simple" but anyway...)

Every time I started a script it got bigger and bigger until it ended up being feature length and therefore way beyond me means to produce.  A mate who I've worked on a number of short films with just told me to keep things small.  Minimal locations, minimal cast, minimal crew, about 10-15 minutes in length.

Something achieveable in essence (whether it's screenplay or prose).

And you may have a better chance of getting it published in a magazine or something.

Cetanu

Cetanu

I don't like short stories much,  they don't satisfy me for some reason.

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 08, 2008, 09:14:28 PM
In Daschande(spelling?), why would "Shaun" not be the stressed syllable? Understandably, there's no way to scan the etymology of the word, but why not just go with the obvious? Personally, I've never studied your Yautja language, and I'm not sure whether or not you've established a list of subsequent prefixes and suffixes, but Shaun is evidently the stronger of the three.
I think that Dachande wouldn't have the "shaun" syllable stressed because it's an extraterrestrial language and they don't abide by the rules of human language. Technically Dachande could be pronounced "Glikta", there is no way to prove otherwise. And besides, who said "shaun" wasn't the stressed syllable...?

Was Carnal Calligraphy addressing me in the rest of his soliloquy?

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

Oh, but we DO pay his salary. It's basic economy. Supply and demand. If we didn't pay for the goods, there wouldn't be any goods. The money given to Steve Perry may in fact come out of Fox's pockets, but that money got into their pockets because of the revenue brought in by their products.

Also, the Second half of my post is what it is. If that's how it comes off to you, grand. Being as though I'm one of those people who pay his salary, I'd like to think that I still have enough freedom to complain every once in a while. You're no different. You're complaining about my post. Take that "fandom"...

Also, he Steve told us how to pronounce Daschande earlier. Duh-Shaun-day. He said that there is no accented syllable, and I understand that it being his work that there doesn't have to be. I was just asking.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 09, 2008, 07:58:39 AM
Oh, but we DO pay his salary. It's basic economy. Supply and demand. If we didn't pay for the goods, there wouldn't be any goods. The money given to Steve Perry may in fact come out of Fox's pockets, but that money got into their pockets because of the revenue brought in by their products.
No, no really, you don't pay his salary. The checks he cashes are written by FOX, or DH Press, or whomever, not you. If you want to feel like you're making a difference, do your part by not buying his books if you feel they're that bad, because that is quite literally all you can do. But to say things like...
QuoteIf you are going to take the Alien concept, a baby that is inarguably more ours than yours, you should dig deep inside yourself and find what responsibility you can.
or
Quoteif you ask me, and you f**king should
...is beyond arrogant, selfish, and ignorant of other fans. It makes me ashamed and embarrassed to have you as part of the same fandom as me. He should ask you? No, no he f**king shouldn't.

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 09, 2008, 07:58:39 AM
Also, the Second half of my post is what it is. If that's how it comes off to you, grand. Being as though I'm one of those people who pay his salary, I'd like to think that I still have enough freedom to complain every once in a while. You're no different. You're complaining about my post. Take that "fandom"...
Oh you certainly have the right to complain, but seriously go back and re-read your post. You're practically making demands of an author and you come across as incredibly hostile, when you literally have no bearing as an individual on his work or his financial income. If I were having criticism like that levied against me, you would be the first person I'd ignore. If you want to complain, by all means bring up things you don't like in a constructive manner, but to say shit like "I pay your salary, you should f**king listen to me! Stop ruining my Alien, it's MY baby, not yours!" is ridiculous, and is why most authors are hesitant to listen to "the fans". Did it not occur to you that maybe, just maybe, Steve Perry is an Aliens fan himself? To say it isn't "his baby" as if he's not a fan is awfully insulting towards him, and is totally ignorant of what he, as a fan, may like about the movies. Your "No True Scotsman" fallacy about "you'll find no fans who agree with your views about Alien intelligence!" is insulting to any fans who don't agree with your personal viewpoints. Here's a crazy thought for you: if Steve Perry is an Alien fan, and holds a different viewpoint from you, then that instantly proves your claim wrong doesn't it?

Edit-- oh yeah, and it's spelled Dachande, by the way.

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

Firstly, I am no longer going to attempt to explain economics 101 to you. For you to not understand this basic concept in terms of a Laissez Faire economy, strikes me as absolutely ridiculous.

Secondly, There is nothing in my original post that could POSSIBLY be misinterpreted as a demand. YOU need to go back and re-read it. I'd say that if you can't stand a simple critique, don't write things that would potentially bring about such criticism. I, however, believe that Steve Perry is fully capable of standing up to these complaints, which is why I wrote them in the first place. If I'm the first person to ignore, then by all means ignore me. He has that right, just as I have the right to complain. By the way, I never said that he SHOULD listen to me, I asked why he shouldn't. It wasn't in the form of a rhetorical question, and if you believe that you define such a thing I invite you to make your case. I was simply giving him an opportunity to address that question.

Perhaps I was a bit too hasty in saying that there is no Alien fan that would agree with his observations, but I take offense to the notion that they pose virtually no threat whatsoever. It pains me to see that my beloved Xenomorph is now nothing more than a German shepherd with an exoskeleton.

I fail to see the point of the German Shepherd analogy. German Shepherds don't have exoskeletal exteriors that characters in the Alien franchise have attested to being stronger than steel. You should research the durability of steel. Now, imagine (even with guns and a horde of soldiers) trying to fend off 30 dogs with exteriors stronger than steel. Not to mention tails capable of slicing you in half, two sets of jaws, and lets not forget opposable thumbs. lol. Of course in Aliens they fall quickly under the bullets of futuristic weapons, and modern weapons, (perhaps modified, and undoubtedly using modified ammunition) but whose to say that those futuristic weapons wouldn't do as much damage to the predator? Yeah, some may say that yautja technology has advanced, but even without the restrictions of Earthly elements, there is a point in which you begin to stretch things beyond what is physical palpable. Listen, all I'm saying is that there could have been more of an established balance, and that Alien fans didn't have to be left out in the cold. I'm not asking for Aliens to be portayed as invincible, (like the predator conveniently is) I'm simply saying that one could project them as more than canon Fodder. It took me Approx. one minute to determine a single element that would fall under the benefit of the Alien. It just seems to me that, with all due respect, Mr. Perry didn't do the same.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Carnal Calligraphy on Sep 09, 2008, 05:05:50 PM
Firstly, I am no longer going to attempt to explain economics 101 to you. For you to not understand this basic concept in terms of a Laissez Faire economy, strikes me as absolutely ridiculous.
How's about accounting 101 - you don't write his checks. You think you pay his salary? Then speak up with your money by not buying his books. But to say "I pay your salary, listen to my criticisms!" is ridiculous. You are completely delusional on that front.
You do realize that the US economy does not operate on Laissez-faire, right? The mere fact that we have corporations that own intellectual property or have a government that cites regulations and laws regarding the economy make this so. Not to mention the criticisms against such an economic system.

Secondly, There is nothing in my original post that could POSSIBLY be misinterpreted as a demand. YOU need to go back and re-read it.
Haha, alright, let's take another look at your post:
QuoteIf you are going to take the Alien concept, a baby that is inarguably more ours than yours, you should dig deep inside yourself and find what responsibility you can.
QuoteNo Alien fan will just stand there as you, of all people, tells them that their beloved icon is utterly insignificant because you don't like certain films in the franchise.
Quoteif you ask me, and you f**king should
Look like demands to me, ace.

By the way, I never said that he SHOULD listen to me, I asked why he shouldn't.
...what? You said, "if you ask me, and you f**king should". That's pretty goddamn explicit.

I take offense to the notion that they pose virtually no threat whatsoever. It pains me to see that my beloved Xenomorph is now nothing more than a German shepherd with an exoskeleton.
1. Wait a minute, you take personal offense that someone holds a different viewpoint than you, about a fictional creature in a franchise you don't control? Oh, okay.
2. it is not "your" xenomorph. It's FOX's creature, to do with as they see fit. You didn't create it. You can't publish materials about it. All you can do is support it (or not support it) financially.
3. Pretty sure the Alien has never been shown as a German shepherd with an exoskeleton. In Perry's 'AvP: Prey', the things decimate a colony. Just because they aren't invincible supercreatures doesn't mean they're suddenly dogs. Have you even seen 'Aliens'?

I'm not asking for Aliens to be portayed as invincible, (like the predator conveniently is) I'm simply saying that one could project them as more than canon Fodder.
What are you talking about? Don't several Predators die in AvP: Prey? I'll admit it's been a while since I read the novel, but I'm pretty sure the book starts off with several Predators and by the end of the book they're all dead.
When in Perry's novel are they shown as cannon fodder? Just because a Predator can take on several and win?

....not to mention that Perry's novel is a novelization of an existing comic book story, which Steve Perry didn't write.

It took me Approx. one minute to determine a single element that would fall under the benefit of the Alien. It just seems to me that, with all due respect, Mr. Perry didn't do the same.
I seriously don't understand what point you're trying to make with this bit.

Cetanu

Cetanu

People, people! This is "Ask Steve Perry" not Laissez Faire/Argue with Long Posts!

I didn't know that Steve Perry told you how to pronounce Dachande, sorry.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Flashback to the golden era of gamegossip.

:)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2008, 11:27:31 PM
Flashback to the golden era of gamegossip.

:)
Haha, like how Vietnam veterans have "flashbacks"?  :o
Pretty sure the "golden era" ended before you registered anyway.  :-*
I'm kidding. :P

I've come to the realization that I really just don't give a shit anymore. :) Now I just amuse myself by playing the games, reading the novels, and (re)watching the movies. Shit, I even liked both AvP movies a lot and saw them both in theatres multiple times!

As for this thread, I'm actually going back and reading it from the start, because before I posted in it I had only read the first page and then the latest two, saw Carnal Calligraphy's post, and said "what on earth is this shit?"
Going back and actually reading how Steve Perry handles "hostile" questions, though, I imagine he could respond more eloquently (and hilariously caustically) than I ever could. Not to mention that Mr. Perry responded to all of Carnal Calligraphy's criticisms back on, like, page six or something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed