Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,734 times)

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: Flaming Firefox on May 29, 2008, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: The Diesel on May 27, 2008, 09:10:53 PM
Hey Steve,

I am reading Shadows of the Empire right now and it is great!  I can't put it down.  I got it this morning and I just can't put the thing down.

Ah yes I've read my copy several times. Great book!
It's an AWESOME book.  A dude on facebook said this and I think it sums it up pretty well:

QuoteOne of the greatest Star Wars novels.  Proof?  It had its own toy line.

Priceless. 

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: The Diesel on Jun 01, 2008, 03:53:57 AM
Hey Steve,

I am reading Shadows of the Empire right now and it is great!  I can't put it down.  I got it this morning and I just can't put the thing down.

It's an AWESOME book.  A dude on facebook said this and I think it sums it up pretty well:

[/b]
Priceless. 

And It had its own videogame for the N64  ;D

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: XenoVC on Jun 01, 2008, 04:03:57 AM
Quote from: The Diesel on Jun 01, 2008, 03:53:57 AM
Hey Steve,

[/b]
Priceless. 

And It had its own videogame for the N64  ;D

That was an awesome game when it came out. Not as good as the book, but it really put you in the action.

My other favorite Star Wars books are the Timothy Zahn trilogy, Heir to the Empire, Darkforce Rising, and Last Command. The best, also has their own toys by the way.

steveperry

steveperry

Shadows was a fun book to write. I was pleased with how it came out.

The Diesel

The Diesel

There are a score of other people that were pleased with how it came out as well. ;)

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: steveperry on May 20, 2008, 12:11:14 AM
the basic xenomorph drone had any more smarts than a German Shepherd.

right, well that makes lots of sense seeing as how german shepherd are always cutting the power to buildings, using elevators, setting traps, and escaping high security holding cells....wait.

steveperry

steveperry

Like I said, you ever been to an agility dog show? High-level obedience trials? Seen what a smart dog can do? It's pretty amazing to watch. But in no way does it make dogs as bright as people. Sure, a bulldog can use a skateboard, but it can't fly an FTL spaceship, put on a shiftsuit, and then go hunting armed humans or hard meat xenomorphs, much less breed the latter to train young warriors.

I don't believe the xenomorph drones are as smart as the Yautja, nor humans, and if you want to believe that, that's fine, we'll just disagree. I think the preponderance of evidence is on my side of the table.

PredatorX

PredatorX

who was it that decided to make the workers drones when they are widely accepted to be female?

War Wager

War Wager

Aliens do and have always shown in the movies, intelligence of all the basic insticts. They're not smart enough to fly ships, build weapons etc because they don't need to. They're naturally smart creatures as soon as they're born, unlike those scaley hunters.

The Diesel

The Diesel

I believe the drones have basic, but limited, problem-solving intelligence.  The German Sheppard analogy is a good one.  It fits.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Diesel on Jun 04, 2008, 06:57:12 PM
I believe the drones have basic, but limited, problem-solving intelligence.  The German Sheppard analogy is a good one.  It fits.
The two halves of that post don't fit. Inspector Rex solved crimes; 'limited problem-solving intelligence' my ass, if they're as smart as German Sheppards :P

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

The Aliens in Alien Res showed problem solving skills when they escaped their enclosure. The AvP Aliens knew how to free the queen although you could make an argument the queen communicated how to theml, either way it raises their intelligence level. The Alien in the first movie somehow made it on the escape shuttle, it didn't seem like just coincidence.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2008, 09:49:09 PM
The two halves of that post don't fit. Inspector Rex solved crimes; 'limited problem-solving intelligence' my ass, if they're as smart as German Sheppards :P
I was rethinking the dog analogy thing myself.  I think Aliens do have limited problem solving intelligence.  Yeah, I don't think the dog thing fits.  I was thinking it didn't right after I posted it.  I guess I just wanted to side with Steve because I love his work.  I was just thinking that I don't know any ultra-violent German Sheppards with opposable digits that solve problems and are excellent human-killers.

SiL

SiL

Nah; when you think about it, the intelligence of a German Sheppard is really nothing to balk at, given their capacity for intelligence. It's when you start saying "average dog" that you start moving into vague insult territory.

The Aliens in AvPR didn't act any more intelligent than goldfish, let alone an average dog.

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: SiL on Jun 05, 2008, 06:17:16 AM
Nah; when you think about it, the intelligence of a German Sheppard is really nothing to balk at, given their capacity for intelligence. It's when you start saying "average dog" that you start moving into vague insult territory.

The Aliens in AvPR didn't act any more intelligent than goldfish, let alone an average dog.

Almost all dogs that seem smart because of the tricks they can do have had intensive training to get them to that point, even German Sheppards. I've ownded dogs my whole life and I currently have several and I can tell you they just don't pop out knowing how to do complex stuff. It takes a lot of work.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed