Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 189,080 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

She would have died had she went with Parker and Lambert.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: Alienseseses on Mar 27, 2008, 02:32:50 AM
Well, I'd have to disagree with that.
Brett thought the alien was as big as Jones.
Dallas was working with everybody to try to force it into an airlock.
Lambert and Parker were working together while Ripley was loading the ship and the self destruct. Parker actually tried to fight it, while Lambert was frozen.

The only stupid action in Alien was Ripley trying to get her cat, but it makes a lot more sense after she goes after Newt in Aliens.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lambert was a complete and total dumbass.  She just sat there and let the damn thing come and get her without even trying to get away.  As soon as I saw that Alien I would have ran like Carl Lewis in the Olympics.  Whether it would have worked or not, I still would have made the attempt to escape.  She just sat there.  And if I was Parker, if Lambert didn't move, I would have roasted them both.  Then I would have broke out the marshmallows.  And like Steve said, as soon as that cat jumped out it would have been fillet of Jones.  People>>>cats. 

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

People can get frozen in fear. It's when you just can't control yourself.

nexus

nexus

Hey there again Mr Perry.

was just curious how you feel about the fact that Dachande has become somewhat a cult and very iconic character among us Pred fans.

did you ever imagine he'd be rememebred so well

and also was anyone/thing in particular an inspiration for him?

SiL

SiL

Just been speaking to Hicks about his thoughts on Turnabout (not read it), and he got me to thinking:

What are your thoughts on the idea that, just because Alien, Predator and Aliens were so good that we shouldn't even bother trying to come up with good stories because it's never going to get to that same level again? In other words, the biggest apology for the current AvP movies.

Just from what Hicks has been saying about Turnabout, and hell, from reading your previous Aliens novels, it's pretty clear to me that even though I may not like your characterisations and plot extensions a lot of the time, you clearly put a shitload of effort into it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

In case you were wondering, I was raving about how good your characters in Turnabout were. My review'll be up soon.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2008, 07:11:02 AM
Just been speaking to Hicks about his thoughts on Turnabout (not read it), and he got me to thinking:

What are your thoughts on the idea that, just because Alien, Predator and Aliens were so good that we shouldn't even bother trying to come up with good stories because it's never going to get to that same level again? In other words, the biggest apology for the current AvP movies.
That is the lamest excuse ever.  Those people live in some alternate universe.  And some of them are fourteen also.  When you're fourteen you know two things: Jack and shit.

severen76

severen76

Quote from: The Diesel on Apr 07, 2008, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2008, 07:11:02 AM

That is the lamest excuse ever.  Those people live in some alternate universe.  And some of them are fourteen also.  When you're fourteen you know two things: Jack and shit.

.......And Jack left town.

steveperry

steveperry

Okay, a little philosophy behind my most recent Predator novel:

Reasonable minds can disagree, and so a lot of what floats one person's boat in an A, P, or AvP story is going to sink somebody else's. Nature of the media. We don't all have to agree on every thing all the time, and if somebody doesn't agree with me, that isn't an automatic promotion to idiot of the week.

I believe that readers or watchers will forgive you a lot if you can tell a good story. If you care about the people in it, and you want to see them triumph in the end, they'll go with you. Ripley is by far and away my favorite character in all the series because the writers have taken the time to make her somebody you want to root for. In A2, every kid in the audience wanted Ripley to be his or her mom -- she fought monsters to save the little girl, and she knew just how scary those monsters were.

Without Ripley, all the A's, they're ijust a fireworks displays. Pretty, fun, maybe, but no heart. And Ellen didn't get served well after A and A2, in my mind.

And that's what some of the the movies have been lacking -- a serious shortage of characters about whom anybody gives a sour owl poot.

I don't always hit the mark, but I'm always aiming at characters I want readers to find interesting, and who they care about enough to worry if they are going to live or die. Doesn't matter how simple the plot or how convoluted, if you don't give a rat's ass about the players, you won't invest any real energy in them.

Oh, dear, look, the xenomorphs wiped out half the town and a whole a bunch of marines. Ho, hum.

Oh, look, Vasquez is going to set off that grenade and take a bunch of the suckers with her. I don't know which matters most to you, but I know which one matters to me. I liked Vasquez. That one line she replies to "Hey, Vasquez have you ever been mistaken for a man?" that is priceless: "No. Have you?"
I fell in love with that bad girl right that second. And I knew she was gonna die, and die well.

Yeah, EFX are nice to watch, and scary monsters get your blood racing, but if there's nobody to root for, so what?

With Turnabout, I went back to a simple story, and I put peole front and center who I found interesting. I liked Sloane. I thought Regal was  a pretty good bad guy. Even Mary was somebody to worry about. The Predators went back to the original movie. If readers like my people, I did my job. If they wanted more yautja stuff, I can understand that, but it wasn't the story I got to offer this time.

Two things you look for as a writer: Did I tell the story I wanted to tell? And did I do it well? Sometimes you don't know the answer until it's too late to fix it, but that's what I shoot for. I'm happy with how Turnabout came out. I think it would make a great movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I felt Turnabout was Sloane's story more than anything. Mary was very interesting to start with until she turned into the damsel but to be fair, that wasn't until after the cave stuff. But Sloane...his evolution throughout the novel, it was fantastic. I don't know why but Predator authors seem to have a better grasp on their characters.  :)

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: DarkStar117 on Mar 27, 2008, 07:15:47 AM
I know it must be somewhat annoying, what with the barrage of oncoming questions, but i have one more question........... Where do you get your influence... i ask this because I too am somewhat of an author, i have written one short story about the Halo game. I ask this because I got my ideas from the people and things around me, I was just wondering is writting supposed to be planned and thought out or can you just wing it and make a great story?

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Ideas come from everywhere. Most of the ones I've played with in the A, P, or AvP universe came from the graphic novels, so that's an easy one. Turnabout came up because I wanted to reverse the normal roles and have the human be as good as the Predators -- back closer to what Ahnahl did in the first P movie. I threw in poachers so nobody in the book would be sure of what was going on at first, and then I just watched the movie in my head and wrote it all down.

Ideas are cheap. You can come up with enough in an afternoon that will take you the rest of your life to write. It's the transfer from idea to story that's important, the execution.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 08, 2008, 10:43:20 PM
I felt Turnabout was Sloane's story more than anything. Mary was very interesting to start with until she turned into the damsel but to be fair, that wasn't until after the cave stuff. But Sloane...his evolution throughout the novel, it was fantastic. I don't know why but Predator authors seem to have a better grasp on their characters.  :)

Well, Mary had to be a damsel for part of the story, in order to pay off the gun stuff we laid in. Her arc was as important as Sloane's, because if we didn't pay it off, the story would have had a way different ending.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I do get that. It was just when I started to loose the interest in her independent attitude. TBH I would have prefer for her not to use that gun, to stick to her convictions but that's how things go. In the end she saved Sloane. But still I'm very impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. Hope you're looking forward to an ass kisssing review.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 08, 2008, 10:53:25 PM
I do get that. It was just when I started to loose the interest in her independent attitude. TBH I would have prefer for her not to use that gun, to stick to her convictions but that's how things go. In the end she saved Sloane. But still I'm very impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. Hope you're looking forward to an ass kisssing review.

Essence of fiction is change, and Mary had to make that shift or her arc wouldn't have worked. She stopped being a victim, sucked it up, and did the right thing. Got to be willing to shift your convictions if you have a come-to-realize moment -- that's what it's all about. If she had stuck to her old road, both she and Sloane would have wound up in somebody's trophy rack. Couldn't have that after all they went through.

I know you aren't supposed to pay attention to reviews, good or bad, but I confess I like the good ones better. Never hurts to hear that somebody got their money's worth.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Hey Steve,

Has Stephanie written any other sci-fi books other than the Resident Evil series?  I frigging loved those books!  I have every one of them.  Just wondering.  Thanks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed