Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,770 times)

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Khan on Dec 12, 2007, 03:16:06 AM
Steve,

Is it possible that you may do another of you 'Yautja' novels again? Or are your next predator novels (if you are hired) going to be like the Hish or the films? Or, do you want to do another AVP Yautja novel?

I'd find that more interesting than camera viewpoint, but them I'm kind of a bug about character stuff. Lot of readers want to see exploding heads, but don't seem to care what is going on inside the head before it goes boom ...

At the moment, I've got a doorstop- fantasy novel and an urban fantasy novel and a tea-cozy mystery novel lined up I need to do, plus one more in the matador series. Gonna take a while to get those written.

Dasani

Dasani

Quote from: SiL on Nov 08, 2007, 08:07:18 AM
Second Predator fell for Glover playing possum.

Ot-nay oo-tay art-smay.

One predator was fooled.

Therefore.

The entire race is stupid!

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Quote from: steveperry on Dec 13, 2007, 01:51:16 AM
Quote from: Khan on Dec 12, 2007, 03:16:06 AM
Steve,

Is it possible that you may do another of you 'Yautja' novels again? Or are your next predator novels (if you are hired) going to be like the Hish or the films? Or, do you want to do another AVP Yautja novel?

I'd find that more interesting than camera viewpoint, but them I'm kind of a bug about character stuff. Lot of readers want to see exploding heads, but don't seem to care what is going on inside the head before it goes boom ...

At the moment, I've got a doorstop- fantasy novel and an urban fantasy novel and a tea-cozy mystery novel lined up I need to do, plus one more in the matador series. Gonna take a while to get those written.

The matador series? Ive heard about that one. But anyway, I like seeing inside the Yautjas heads before them getting killed, since the stuff youve made up about them is fascinating.

AdamBombOi

AdamBombOi

Quote from: steveperry on Dec 13, 2007, 01:48:46 AM
Quote from: AdamBombOi on Dec 12, 2007, 05:53:39 PM
One question here... I was wondering if you'd ever be interested in doing a novel set in the past (pirates, vikings, or samurai)?

I don't think those are on the table, last I heard. Be kind of fun to do one with samurai, though ...

Man, that is my dream novel and, a few other members here thought the samurai thing would be a good idea too. Very cool to hear one of your favorite authors say something like that. If it ever happens, whether it's years away or not, that'd be nothing short of epic.

Away from all of that though, if you do write a new novel, after Turnabout, do you think you'd use any of the new weapons that have been introduced through AVP, and the new movie, or just stick to the basics?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

You know, I wanted to ask this and not sure if anyone has.. but I'm going to ask anyway. Too sleepy to browse through this entire thread anyway. If Mr. Perry is still here, here is my question:

What was your inspiration for creating Dachande (Yeyinde)? Why did you choose him to be different in terms of combat and philosphy from the other Yautja by having him resemble something of a bare fisted fighter who believed that a warrior should depend on their own physical prowress and skill rather than a gun?

Yes... I LOVED Dachande by the way.

Hope you can respond to this, Mr. Perry!

-Rakai'Thwei

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Quote from: steveperry on Dec 12, 2007, 02:52:28 AM
Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 25, 2007, 11:37:40 PM
Steve,

Could you ever see a Predator female be invovled with hunts (humans, Aliens, etc)? Maybe, have a Predator female star in a Predator 3 or a new Predator novel?

I don't see why not. My daughter and I made a point of noting that Predator females were apt to give the males more grief than they wanted if they crossed them (much like human females can do) and I see no reason why a female predator couldn't be spotlighted.

Thank you for answering my question. I would really like to see a Predator female be in the spotlight in a futre AVP film or Predator 3 or even a novel. I think there is some interesting possibilites/potential there.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 13, 2007, 05:07:59 AM
You know, I wanted to ask this and not sure if anyone has.. but I'm going to ask anyway. Too sleepy to browse through this entire thread anyway. If Mr. Perry is still here, here is my question:

What was your inspiration for creating Dachande (Yeyinde)? Why did you choose him to be different in terms of combat and philosphy from the other Yautja by having him resemble something of a bare fisted fighter who believed that a warrior should depend on their own physical prowress and skill rather than a gun?

Yes... I LOVED Dachande by the way.

Hope you can respond to this, Mr. Perry!

-Rakai'Thwei

We needed a character into whose head we could peer, and I wanted a Predator of honor, old-school, who would allow readers to see that the reasons the yautja behaved as we saw them in the movies. It's not that Dachande couldn't use weapons, it was that he preferred to test himself. Anybody can shoot somebody at a distance; going hand-to-hand with a creature as dangerous as the xenomorphs involves more risk.

A guy who shoots a lion three hundred meters away with a high-powered rifle is not the same as one who goes after the big cat with a bow and arrow or a spear.

The yautja warriors are, at their best, brave and adept. Dachande was, in my mine, the best. Not the kind of character who was gonna die with his boots off ...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: steveperry on Dec 14, 2007, 07:06:46 AM
Anybody can shoot somebody at a distance; going hand-to-hand with a creature as dangerous as the xenomorphs involves more risk.
Not that it really matters, ultimately, being that the book pretty explicitly states that (drone, at least) Aliens are no match for a skilled Predator such as Dachande.

nexus

nexus

huge fan steve
was just curious

when you come on a board like this do you read any of the fan fictions and if so have you seen any you liked or wanted to expand on yourself,or even sat there and thought....i wish i thought of that?
lol

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Quote from: SiL on Dec 14, 2007, 08:44:37 AM
Anybody can shoot somebody at a distance; going hand-to-hand with a creature as dangerous as the xenomorphs involves more risk.
Not that it really matters, ultimately, being that the book pretty explicitly states that (drone, at least) Aliens are no match for a skilled Predator such as Dachande.

So I take it you don't like the books?

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: nexus on Dec 14, 2007, 04:46:56 PM
huge fan steve
was just curious

when you come on a board like this do you read any of the fan fictions and if so have you seen any you liked or wanted to expand on yourself,or even sat there and thought....i wish i thought of that?
lol

No, I don't read fanfic. (And I don't read books that people I don't know send me via email, for legal reasons.)

Even though the fans don't own the characters in the A, P, or AvP universe, they sometimes can get possessive, and I don't want anybody thinking I swiped something from them. Not that either of us have any rights -- it all belongs to Fox and even the books must be approved by them.

Ideas are cheap and folks tend to have some of the same ones at the same time. First novel I sold was about a mutant bacteria, and the editor told me she had gotten two other books with very similar themes the same week. The zeitgeist is out there, and if you have an idea, probably somebody in the world is also having that thought at the same time.

I piss off enough fans already, no point in making it any worse.

Dasani

Dasani

Quote from: SiL on Dec 14, 2007, 08:44:37 AM

The thing was, there were no preds as skilled as Dachande. He was pretty much the most powerful Yautja of his time.

So I don't see what you're so bitter about. ;D

nexus

nexus

Good points, i hadnt thought of that....thanks so much for replying

much appreciated

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Do you like that your daughter followed in your footsteps?  How proud/wary were you of her career path?

JungleHunter

JungleHunter

Mr. Perry:

I am a big fan of your work, mostly AVP: Prey and Shadows of the Empire.  I really enjoyed the "Yautja" concept of the Predators that you established and was very disappointed that it is not being followed in the current novels.  I really liked how you got inside Dachande's head and told much of the story from his perspective.  Will your new Predator novel do this as well? 

Also, now that AVP: Requiem is out, what did you think of it? (If you have seen it.)  What did you like and what would you have changed?

Thanks.  I appreciate your answering our questions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed