Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore

Started by felix, Sep 30, 2019, 03:14:27 AM

Author
Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore (Read 35,181 times)

Voodoo Magic

Hoping Mr. Glover is next!

PAS Spinelli

I'd love Harringan but I think he would be too old to be a playable character, but I would like some tapes from him and a class that he trained or something

j0nesy

royce and isabelle double whammy!  :laugh:

lightsyder

Needs a dlc set on the game preserve planet.  Give us some lore for all that!  Lol.

SpaceKase

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 29, 2020, 02:36:57 PM
I'd love Harringan but I think he would be too old to be a playable character, but I would like some tapes from him and a class that he trained or something

Or Bill Paxton's son as a character! He sounds so much like his dad. "Hey, hunting down alien creatures is my specialty!"

Voodoo Magic

Late 30's in 1997 would put Harrigan in late 50s in 2017. Pushing 65 perhaps in 2025? I think it can still work if he's kept himself in shape. Maybe Mike has also had some of the Yautja juice that keeps Dutch so spry...

Tichinde

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 31, 2020, 02:46:14 AM

Late 30's in 1997 would put Harrigan in late 50s in 2017. Pushing 65 perhaps in 2025? I think it can still work if he's kept himself in shape. Maybe Mike has also had some of the Yautja juice that keeps Dutch so spry...

Speaking of that, we gonna ignore the fact that two games have now copied AVP eternal's vampirizing premise lol.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Tichinde on Jul 31, 2020, 04:14:29 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 31, 2020, 02:46:14 AM

Speaking of that, we gonna ignore the fact that two games have now copied AVP eternal's vampirizing premise lol.

It's pretty fascinating actually, what started as movie magic from the first aid scenes with the Jungle and City Hunters, got expanded quite a bit in the games with the UV crystal shard things that heal your pred up proper, and now 30 years later, genuine science is exploring the miraculous efficiency of undifferentiated stem cells and biologically based nano-technology, and suddenly it all doesn't seem so far fetched any more.

If Yautja, being as advanced as they are, have blood that is infused with what are essentially artificially produced, self-replicating stem cells, powered internally by the natural biological processes and storing their charge in the form of phosphorescent cells, then they would have the ability to be externally charged by exposure to higher energy UV stimulation when those natural biological functions become impaired or compromised. Just like holding a black light up to a glow stick.

From: https://www.thoughtco.com/fluorescence-versus-phosphorescence-4063769
Quotea phosphorescent material absorbs high energy light (usually ultraviolet), causing the electrons to move into a higher energy state, but the transition back to a lower energy state occurs much more slowly and the direction of the electron spin may change. Phosphorescent materials may appear to glow for several seconds up to a couple of days after the light has been turned off. The reason phosphorescence lasts longer than fluorescence is because the excited electrons jump to a higher energy level than for fluorescence. The electrons have more energy to lose and may spend time at different energy levels between the excited state and the ground state.

If the artificial stem cell nanotech is designed for Yautja physiology and biological processes, then it could potentially support the replenishment of their cells indefinitely before other entropic forces eventually broke down the system's functioning. Perhaps for Yautja it is indeed not the Years, but just the Mileage.

Being not designed specifically for human physiology, but adaptable enough to function with cells in that foreign environment, the artificial cells could very well function when introduced in the high doses one would receive from eating a Yautja heart perhaps. But, not possessing of the natural Yautja biological functioning which would normally consistently recharge the cells internally, the artificially produced stem cells would run out of their charge and replenishment ability much faster without external UV stimulation, stimulation that Yautja biology is perhaps adapted to but which is inherently harmful to human biology through the damage it inflicts to our DNA.

Xiggz456

Gave the podcast a listen and I'm certainly siding with Ridgetop on this one! Can't believe Voodoo hasn't read "Hunters and Hunted"?! Are you even a Predator fan???  :laugh:

Tichinde

Also did anybody else hear what dutch says in the bar about the female predator?
He says she's way more skilled than anything he's come up against and observes her like
"As close to royalty as their kind has"
Could be the first time we ever saw a matriarch in lore! ;D

Kradan

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 08, 2020, 12:26:01 AM
Gave the podcast a listen and I'm certainly siding with Ridgetop on this one! Can't believe Voodoo hasn't read "Hunters and Hunted"?! Are you even a Predator fan???  :laugh:

Boo this man !

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 08, 2020, 12:26:01 AM

lol. You do realize it's a prequel to "The Predator", right?. So I think my Predator fan card is still in good standing.  :D. I was planning to read it after seeing the movie, but once I saw the film a second time, I couldn't bring myself to do it, to read anything attached to that.

But I'm not the biggest reader, I'm trying to change that, but I'm more a comic guy... read every Predator comic, not every Predator novel... but here's my current limited library (excluding Alien & AvP novels).

It's not every Predator novel I own. For instance, I know that I have the Predator novelization somewhere around the house.  And looking at these, it is amazing that the Predator 2 novelization, Turnabout and China Sea is collectively worth $250 on a good day.

426Buddy

Yeah I'm jealous, you have China Sea

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 08, 2020, 01:42:02 PM
Yeah I'm jealous, you have China Sea

It seems to have become the Predator novel holy grail hasn't it. I wonder what Hicks' signed copies would fetch him!  :o

Tichinde

Ya know voodoo. No offense, but I now consider killing you and taking your collection as a trophy. You would die with honor of course, fight bravely. I shall mark your forehead with the mark of your clan and leave you to rest in a fair fire. But I shall claim SOUTH CHINA SEA

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed