Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 63,206 times)

Nightmare Asylum

But we're not really alone. Ridley said that it didn't matter whether or not the planet at the beginning was Earth, meaning that the Engineers did their little experiments on numerous planets.

Alien³

Alien³

That in mind, what if it was Earth? And our planet is the only one.

bishoop

bishoop

QuoteI might be the only one who found the Engineers to be a scarier idea than what was previously thought. The idea that we might be alone in the universe with a species of creatures that want to kill us.
yea i too found it creepy/eerie/unnerving - especially if you consider the engineers (and us) are the only life in the universe. they made us and want to kill us :o

QuoteBut we're not really alone. Ridley said that it didn't matter whether or not the planet at the beginning was Earth, meaning that the Engineers did their little experiments on numerous planets.

i know Ridley said that but i think it was meant to be earf. :laugh:

-in the early drafts of the script its meant to be earf is it not? :laugh:

-whilst shooting in Iceland Ridley refered to the scene as the primordial dawn of man/creation on earf or something like that :laugh:

-the next scene being the cave paintings seemed to suggest it was set on earf many years ago (and its established throughout the movie that they created us so its reasonable to assume the opening was the engineer doing just that) :laugh:

-the scene seems to suggest it was set many years before the engineers we see on LV233 (which has bee deserted for 2000 years) due to the different ship design - so earf again :laugh:

unless it was set on LV233 (not earf) 2000 years ago (but i dont think so)  :laugh: :
http://coedmagazine.com/2012/06/11/prometheus-opening-scene-alternate-take/

Nightmare Asylum

Regardless of whether the planet in the opening was Earth or not, the same thing did happen on Earth. Ridley is just implying that it didn't just happen on Earth.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Highland on Mar 14, 2013, 01:43:30 PM
Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 13, 2013, 09:27:49 PM

I admittedly may be overly cynical, here, but I am sensing a direct correlation between the adoption of the "Von Daniken/ancient astronaut" angle, and what I have characterized as the "shoe-horning" of a glorified human into the Space Jockey suit.  In other words, it "conveniently" became a suit, in order to accomodate the script's revelation that the Space Jockeys/Engineers are in fact large, human beings.

Now, I certainly understand that many people have no problem with this particular issue, and I of course respect their views.  For me, however, this particular narrative decision was perhaps the single most aggregious mis-step for the film.

Not really. Tell me how you put the Space Jockey into the film in any other way without busting up the Alien Franchise?

It has to be either before Alien or after Resurrection. If it's after, that leaves a whole bunch of questions on why they were never found before. So you make it before, but you need the humans to find the base so how do you do that ?

You can see the thought process behind it all. It makes perfect sense.

Hi Highland,

I think you misunderstand me.  I don't have a problem with the Space Jockeys/Engineers being featured or even the focus of Prometheus.  I am absolutely fine with this idea.  My problem is the decision that was made to turn the wonderfully surreal, alien Space Jockey into big blue teal humans.

This fact, that one of the great wonders and mysteries of the original ALIEN film is resolved and explained by something so mundane and "terrestrial", is the aggregious mistake that I am talking about.  In my humble opinion, of course.

RagingDragon

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but there is still hope Deut.

Just make the blue man group part of the 'ancient aliens' crap and have them be the genetically-tampered-to-perfection offspring of the Elephant Jockeys with humans, maybe created to be go-betweens in the ancient past? They could have human traits, forms, obviously, that can mate with the Elephant jocks biomechanical technology.

Then the Dr. Manhattans steal the secrets of the Alien goo (used to create life) to destroy their former parents, who left them on Earth, leading to the starmaps. They're angry at the Elephant jockeys, and stumble upon the Alien (which is the consequence of using the goo on humans, who were created by the Elephant jockeys causing a sort of hideous 'inbreeding.')

The blue man group sets up an elaborate temple to their perfect, hybrid kind (the head) and attempts to weaponize this goo when Janek shows up with his Christmas tree.

((This ain't gonna happen, but it's where my dreams want to go!))

Cvalda

Cvalda

Next week, on Days of Our Aliens...

The mythology of Prometheus is dumb enough -- we don't need exopolitics further complicating the mess.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The whole purpose of Prometheus was to answer the question 'so who's the guy in the chair'. All of this is pointless. The Derelict is Engineer stuff and the Pilot is a suited Engineer.

In purely movie Alien-to-Prometheus canon at least.

If they're gonna actually show who the Pilot is, they will make him an Engineer.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 14, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

Just make the blue man group part of the 'ancient aliens' crap and have them be the genetically-tampered-to-perfection offspring of the Elephant Jockeys with humans, maybe created to be go-betweens in the ancient past? They could have human traits, forms, obviously, that can mate with the Elephant jocks biomechanical technology.

Then the Dr. Manhattans steal the secrets of the Alien goo (used to create life) to destroy their former parents, who left them on Earth, leading to the starmaps. They're angry at the Elephant jockeys, and stumble upon the Alien (which is the consequence of using the goo on humans, who were created by the Elephant jockeys causing a sort of hideous 'inbreeding.')

The blue man group sets up an elaborate temple to their perfect, hybrid kind (the head) and attempts to weaponize this goo when Janek shows up with his Christmas tree.

This idea is so crazy...it just might work!

;D 8)

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 14, 2013, 04:10:15 PM
The whole purpose of Prometheus was to answer the question 'so who's the guy in the chair'. All of this is pointless. The Derelict is Engineer stuff and the Pilot is a suited Engineer.

If they're gonna actually show who the Pilot is, they will make him an Engineer.

Hi OmegaZ,

Not sure if you are commenting at me, and (like Highland) may be confused with my arguments/complaints in regards to the Space Jockey.

I thought my earlier 3-Scenario ranking made my thoughts on this matter clear...but perhaps not.

To re-iterate:

That the Space Jockeys are a featured and integral aspect of the Prometheus story ==> No Problem

That the Space Jockeys are the Engineers*  ==> No Problem
*heck, I thought we used the terms interchangeably, even before Prometheus

That the Space Jockey/Engineers are revealed to be big Humans, instead of aliens (suit or no suit) ==> Problem

RagingDragon

Um, the Blue Man Group and Dr. Manhattan quips were jokes. :laugh:

But the rest was not. Omega stated the obvious in that there's the highest probability that the Engineers are the end-all of everything :-\ but... it's just so lame. The Jockey was obviously a creature of some sort. It had f**king teeth and a tongue, which were clearly shown in Alien.

Hey, is that a dead horse? *Flogs dead horse*

Darth Vile

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 14, 2013, 04:13:33 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 14, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

This idea is so crazy...it just might work!

;D 8)

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 14, 2013, 04:10:15 PM

Hi OmegaZ,

Not sure if you are commenting at me, and (like Highland) may be confused with my arguments/complaints in regards to the Space Jockey.

I thought my earlier 3-Scenario ranking made my thoughts on this matter clear...but perhaps not.

To re-iterate:

That the Space Jockeys are a featured and integral aspect of the Prometheus story ==> No Problem

That the Space Jockeys are the Engineers*  ==> No Problem
*heck, I thought we used the terms interchangeably, even before Prometheus

That the Space Jockey/Engineers are revealed to be big Humans, instead of aliens (suit or no suit) ==> Problem
Interested to know... Is it that you didn't like the movie so the "big humans" stand out like sore thumbs and make it worse for you or that regardless of what else might have been improved for you (be it script, the 'science' etc.) "big humans" would have just ruined it anyways?

Cvalda

Cvalda

They should cast Jeff Goldblum as the Engineers in the next one. Just sayin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARaic1x-MRs#

Alien³

Alien³

I'm so happy they went down the route they went.

Engineers all the way.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 14, 2013, 04:34:47 PM

Interested to know... Is it that you didn't like the movie so the "big humans" stand out like sore thumbs and make it worse for you or that regardless of what else might have been improved for you (be it script, the 'science' etc.) "big humans" would have just ruined it anyways?

Hi Darth,

The single biggest problem I have with the film is composed of two, interrelated elements.

It was the "Von Daniken/Ancient Astronaut" angle, and it's directly related consequence of retconning the originally alien Space Jockey into big Humans in suits.

While I admittedly had a lot of other problems with the film, the aforementioned is my biggest complaint, and which effectively "ruined" the film, for me.

And again, I have absolutely no problem with the equation:  the Space Jockeys = The Engineers.
In fact, I kind of thought this was a given.

The equation I do have a problem with is:  The Space Jockeys/Engineers = Humans

Gash

Gash

I was personally very pleased to hear Ridley in his commentary giving more of a nod towards Nigel Kneale than Von Daniken, but I guess Von Daniken is a more recognised name.

Whilst Kneale was a very talented fiction writer who weaved history and mythology into socially relevant stories, Von Daniken presented wild 'theories' and speculation.

The fact the Ridley was citing stronger influences from Kneale - an very important landmark figure in groundbreaking British television drama through the 1950s to 70's, is ok with me. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed