Na srebrnym globie (1988) aka On The Silver Globe

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Apr 19, 2021, 03:22:29 AM

Author
Na srebrnym globie (1988) aka On The Silver Globe (Read 2,030 times)

Local Trouble

Any idea what was going on...

Spoiler
...with the primitives and the scientists on Earth?  I get that it's a steelpunk dystopia, but I didn't understand their relationship.  Was that even supposed to be Earth or some other off-world colony?  Some of the subtitles were confusing on that point as well.
[close]

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 25, 2021, 09:36:18 PM
Also check out Hard To Be A God.

This been slumbering on my HD for years. I think this review kept me from watching it til now:

QuoteMakes Werner Herzog's Aguirre, Wrath of God look like Downton Abbey

Oh and: What's the third?

Local Trouble

Probably The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey.

kwisatz

So embarrassing to admit (and on this site) that I still haven't seen that one.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 24, 2021, 08:29:33 PM
I just watched it.  It's a beautiful art film, but it's only 80 percent finished.  The director had to narrate the missing scenes against stock footage of daily life from 1980s Poland.

The themes and visuals are very reminiscent of Raised by Wolves, so I could imagine this one day being remade by someone like Ridley Scott or Darren Aronofsky.

The music was especially good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcFXwfwDDk

Thanks for the info.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 25, 2021, 10:16:46 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 25, 2021, 09:36:18 PM
Also check out Hard To Be A God.

This been slumbering on my HD for years. I think this review kept me from watching it til now:

Haha, it's definitely worth a watch when you're feeling adventurous.

QuoteOh and: What's the third?

LT nailed it, although I'd personally argue that Tetsuo: The Iron Man is equally important to the cybernetic body horror elements of the style.

Link to a gallery of one of the major exponents of the concept:

https://www.exprofundis.com/gallery/

Baron Von Marlon

Who said this?
And what movie are we talking about?

Aguirre is one of my favorite movies.
There's something Lovecraftian about it. People on a mission into unknown territories, descending into madness, a dark ending.

Master

I was at lecture about old Polish S-F ( there is no new Polish S-F unfortunately), and cause my friend did it I did watch parts of this film and do have comprehensive database of such movies. I'll watch it soon and share with you guys. Also I'll make a list of old Polish S-F's available.

[cancerblack]

Sounds good Master, there's a lot of Polish sci-fi books translated into English but it's hard to find movies at all, a lot of the time.

Ingwar

Ingwar

My favourite is and always will be Polish cult sci-fi comedy Seksmisja (Sexmission) from 1984 (coincidence?). From imdb:

QuoteTwo scientists are placed in hibernation and should be awaken after three years. But when they wake up, it turns out that it has been fifty years, and they are the only two males in a new, underground society composed exclusively of women.

I haven't seen On The Silver Globe yet but once I find time I definitely will.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 28, 2021, 10:41:52 AM
My favourite is and always will be Polish cult sci-fi comedy Seksmisja (Sexmission) from 1984 (coincidence?). From imdb:

QuoteTwo scientists are placed in hibernation and should be awaken after three years. But when they wake up, it turns out that it has been fifty years, and they are the only two males in a new, underground society composed exclusively of women.

Oh yeah, I remember that movie

I haven't watched much of Polish cinema but would strongly recommend anybody give Znachor (The Quack, 1982) a watch

Master

Seksmisja is definitely cool, but my favorite probably is O-bi O-ba: Koniec Cywilizacji (O-bi, O-ba: The end of Civilization), by Piotr Szulkin, one of the greatest S-F directors I know. It's about eight hundred people living in an decaying fallout bunker, waiting for an Ark that will come and save them. Main hero knows the bunker will fall soon and tries to save him and his kin on his own. If you like sad postapocaliptic S-F, you are in for a treat. It's on YouTube with english subs ;)

Local Trouble

Ingwar

Ingwar

I finally have to watch this. Lynchian as f**k.

Local Trouble

@Ingwar @Master I expect a full review in the morning.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed