Alien Covenant's Box Office Prediction!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Mar 25, 2017, 05:03:28 PM

What do you think of Box office.Com's prediction??

It will be waaay higher than that!!
34 (66.7%)
That's just about right!!
12 (23.5%)
This will be looower than projected numbers!!
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author
Alien Covenant's Box Office Prediction!! (Read 23,416 times)

BishopShouldGo

No one will see it coming, like the success of Jurassic World and World War Z.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

This movie has some of the most clever marketing Ive ever seen, the hype is real. Im predicting 60 million opening weekend, higher if the reviews are good, i could see it hitting 70

Marcus9000

I'd imagine around $500-600 million total would be pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

echobbase79

echobbase79

I'm thinking around $350-400 million total. I'd like for it to do more though.

Richman678

Richman678

Well I can say this none of the IMAX theaters in my general area ordered this for IMAX. The theaters in the bigger city close by ordered it for IMAX, but there are 2 IMAX theaters in my general area, and they both told me they wanted to keep GOTG 2 up for a 3rd week.

My point was that if it's gonna see a reduction in IMAX theatre releases then it wont make as much money.

salomonj

Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 28, 2017, 09:39:48 PM
Well I can say this none of the IMAX theaters in my general area ordered this for IMAX. The theaters in the bigger city close by ordered it for IMAX, but there are 2 IMAX theaters in my general area, and they both told me they wanted to keep GOTG 2 up for a 3rd week.
Thats really annoying.

cucuchu

My point was that if it's gonna see a reduction in IMAX theatre releases then it wont make as much money.

What area is this? Here in the Washington DC / Baltimore area, only one IMAX theatre listed Alien for IMAX 2d preticket sale but I called others and they told me IMAX tickets do not usually go on preaale until 1 to 2 weeks before opening night. Having a 2 week old GOTG 2 push out a fresh Alien Covenant (especially opening week/weekend) seems unlikely for any theatre with the desire to maximize profits...

oberonqa

oberonqa

If international reviews are good and coverage of those reviews spread out through available outlets (social media and review aggregate sites), I can see the film doing 70-75M opening weekend and 400M+ domestic total. 

If international reviews are lukewarm or bad with same review coverage, then 30-50M opening weekend and 125-150M domestic total.

I've said it before, but it's a mistake staggering the release.  If they had done a singular worldwide launch, they could have capitalised on the Alien Day footage buzz and raked in massive profits.  With a staggered launch, the domestic take is open to influence due to people watching for reviews from overseas before deciding to see it.  And lets not even bring up the piracy angle.  Giving pirates a full week to get their cam copies out is also going to impact domestic take.

John73

I'm guessing they want to give GOTG 2 a wide berth in the U.S., it's already opened overseas. 

I'm just happy I can see the film in Imax 2D in my area.  Usually if you want to see an imax film you're forced to see it in 3D.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: John73 on Apr 28, 2017, 10:30:30 PM
I'm guessing they want to give GOTG 2 a wide berth in the U.S., it's already opened overseas. 

I'm just happy I can see the film in Imax 2D in my area.  Usually if you want to see an imax film you're forced to see it in 3D.

Yea that might be.  I wanted to see it in IMAX 2D as well... but the theater I like to goto only lists regular showings.  I could see it in IMAX 2D, but then I'd have to goto a theater that doesnt do reclining seats and assigned seating.  This theater has seats that are practically the size of love seats and full room in between the isles to allow full reclining without bumping into people in front or in back.

I'm OK passing on the IMAX experience in favor of a more comfortable viewing experience.  :)

Richman678

Quote from: cucuchu on Apr 28, 2017, 10:04:13 PM

What area is this? Here in the Washington DC / Baltimore area, only one IMAX theatre listed Alien for IMAX 2d preticket sale but I called others and they told me IMAX tickets do not usually go on preaale until 1 to 2 weeks before opening night. Having a 2 week old GOTG 2 push out a fresh Alien Covenant (especially opening week/weekend) seems unlikely for any theatre with the desire to maximize profits...

This is in Central Florida. The big city is Orlando, but I live in a smaller city by the beach.

newagescamartist

Domestic? $100 -$125 million. It won't make its budget back domestically. Worldwide is another story. $550 million.

Stanley

Much depends on if it has legs, hit songs, other movies coming out over the movie run (especially surprise hits out of nowhere), controversy in the lives of the actors, if someone like Ridley or Weaver passed away, etc.   

newagescamartist

Quote from: Stanley on Apr 29, 2017, 12:02:40 AM
Much depends on if it has legs, hit songs, other movies coming out over the movie run (especially surprise hits out of nowhere), controversy in the lives of the actors, if someone like Ridley or Weaver passed away, etc.

Pretty safe to say it won't have any hit songs.

WinsteadLeung

I really envy you guys.
COVENANT may not be released in China, even if the bloody scenes are deleted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed