ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,910 times)

Powerloader

Xenomorphine

How about we all adhere to the rules and be respectful towards fellow members?

PRJ_since1990

I'll find a way to budget this in. Should be a fun read like Colonial Marines Tech Manual. Although that got very detailed at times and got rather dull to me but I liked it.

Razz

May have to pick this up at some point, I'll keep an eye out for this for sure.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I like it that they excluded AVP from this book  ;D  ...Kind of weird though considering that Steve Perry is the author (why him? He sees Aliens as space-bug rottweiler zombies meant for target practice). I have really mixed feelings about this book.

SiL

His daughter's writing it, not him.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Dec 14, 2013, 09:57:46 PM

Much better  :)

Even though Berserker is pretty crappy.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 14, 2013, 09:47:20 PM
I like it that they excluded AVP from this book  ;D 
I must have missed where they said that.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 14, 2013, 10:20:55 PM

Negatron!

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 14, 2013, 11:32:47 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 14, 2013, 10:20:55 PM

Negatron!

Sorry but it is. It's funny, part hilarious and sometimes quite entertaining, but it is utterly gung ho & stupid, and the Xenos are exactly the super weak cannon fodder I don't like.

Kimarhi

I don't disagree with the Aliens being overpowered, but Perry actually made the characters interesting.  A far cry from the comics.

Not saying they are deep, just that they are believable.  Barracks behavior from combat arms soldiers that want to go kill stuff sounds remarkably similar.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 14, 2013, 11:47:02 PM
I don't disagree with the Aliens being overpowered, but Perry actually made the characters interesting.  A far cry from the comics.

You mean underpowered, right?

QuoteNot saying they are deep, just that they are believable.  Barracks behavior from combat arms soldiers that want to go kill stuff sounds remarkably similar.

Meh... Maybe. I just have really low tolerance with that stuff

SiL

I like Berserker. One of my favourites of the novels.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 14, 2013, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 14, 2013, 11:47:02 PM

You mean underpowered, right?

QuoteNot saying they are deep, just that they are believable.  Barracks behavior from combat arms soldiers that want to go kill stuff sounds remarkably similar.

Meh... Maybe. I just have really low tolerance with that stuff

I did mean underpowered.  But Berserker happens at a time in the universe when humanity has been killing the Aliens for years.  It should be easier fighting that kind of enemy (one that never adjust strategies and has the same capabilities) over time.

Bravado is real.  Maybe in some rear echelon support units it wouldn't be as bad but it is unbelievable how much conventional combat arms units talk shit.  We talk shit about each other, about each others mommas, about each others sisters (daughters are off limits), about other combat arms units (infantry is incapable of maneuvering without artillery support-which infantry claims to never use).  I suppose being put in position where you could potentially die every time a truck pulls up to your checkpoint brings out the hyper male in all of us. 

dachande89

Well who is to say they never change tactics? In Aliens they cut the power and did learn to avoid sentry turrets... although after many died. They really need to get back to the roots of these creatures being adaptive. Less zombie fodder like others have said.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed