Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 16, 2020, 08:06:38 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces New Comic Series, Alien: The Original Screenplay! (Read 89,104 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 21, 2020, 11:07:03 PM
Maybe we were expecting too much of a guy named Christmas.

I think that's completely unfair. He was asked to adapt the 2nd draft, he did.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 21, 2020, 10:48:16 PMI'd like for them to mainly follow Engineers, with a few of the clean ups from  01 Genesis.

I've never actually read the Genesis draft. Another one to add to the list.

Russ840

I think Christmas did a great job adapting Gibson's second draft.  Like Hicks says, its what he was hired to do.

Would i change anything about it ?

Now that i have read it a few times and love the hardcover, i have grown to love it and would not change a thing.  there are a few unclear bits in there with regards to panel layouts and what not but i think that those issues actually go well with the unrefined feel of the second draft.

I find the whole package rather charming.

Corporal Hicks

People have got to remember these comics aren't taking a potential idea and fixing it up, it's presenting that idea - warts and all.

HuDaFuK

My only real gripe with what Christmas did is that I found some of the scene transitions a little hard to follow.

Kane's other son

The fault for the lackluster script laid in Gibson but Christmas is guilty of giving us bland artwork, devoid of atmosphere and originality. This new comic at least appears to be well-designed and atmospheric. I'm hyped up about experiencing the Alien story using completely different visuals.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 21, 2020, 10:48:16 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2020, 02:59:09 PM
My argument against an Engineers adaptation was that it wasn't different enough from the movie we ultimately got to make it seem worth it - but I guess that went out the window with the announcement of this one :laugh:

So yeah, f*ck it, why not. I quite like that script.

I'd like for them to mainly follow Engineers, with a few of the clean ups from  01 Genesis. As long as they keep the space station over the Amsterdam office. :laugh:

Then again, I wanted the Gibson Alien III comic to mix up elements of the two drafts, but they just straight adapted the second.  :-\

Agreed on that one. Just a few elements brought over from Genesis would work

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 22, 2020, 09:52:51 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 21, 2020, 10:48:16 PMI'd like for them to mainly follow Engineers, with a few of the clean ups from  01 Genesis.

I've never actually read the Genesis draft. Another one to add to the list.

You should listen to the SA episode I did with Kiramidhead on those

Xiggz456

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jan 22, 2020, 11:54:30 AM
The fault for the lackluster script laid in Gibson but Christmas is guilty of giving us bland artwork, devoid of atmosphere and originality. This new comic at least appears to be well-designed and atmospheric. I'm hyped up about experiencing the Alien story using completely different visuals.

I disagree that the artwork was bland. The panels conveyed plenty of movement and the characters were quite expressive. The coloring was a bit too bright and a darker palette would've improved the atmosphere but Christmas wasn't responsible for the colors.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2020, 08:22:42 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 21, 2020, 11:07:03 PM
Maybe we were expecting too much of a guy named Christmas.

I think that's completely unfair. He was asked to adapt the 2nd draft, he did.

Just kidding, even if it is in poor taste.

SM

I didn't care for his space ship designs, but otherwise Christmas' work was great.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 22, 2020, 08:14:18 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 21, 2020, 07:28:59 PM
The highly talented artist embraces the canon like none  :o

Where is this from?

It is a work of Tristan Jones. He wanted to make a sequel for the game Alien: Isolation in the form of a graphic novel.

Russ840

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 23, 2020, 12:50:03 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 22, 2020, 08:14:18 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 21, 2020, 07:28:59 PM
The highly talented artist embraces the canon like none  :o

Where is this from?

It is a work of Tristan Jones. He wanted to make a sequel for the game Alien: Isolation in the form of a graphic novel.

Thanks. But I can see it's Tristan. I wondered when the actual piece is from?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jan 22, 2020, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Jan 22, 2020, 11:54:30 AM

I disagree that the artwork was bland. The panels conveyed plenty of movement and the characters were quite expressive. The coloring was a bit too bright and a darker palette would've improved the atmosphere but Christmas wasn't responsible for the colors.

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2020, 11:30:16 PM
I didn't care for his space ship designs, but otherwise Christmas' work was great.

Agreed. Though I very much agree with Xiggz on the colours. I would have also liked him to have tried to jazz up the Uzi's like they jazzed up the Pulse Rifle. But it's all kinda small.

The Old One

The Old One

I thought the whole endeavour very lackluster but I don't think that's the author or artists' fault, it's not combining the drafts of the story, in my opinion.

Prez

I've found far more enjoyment on a second visit to Christmas' adaptation after listening to the Dirk Magg's audio drama. It ironed out a few confusing parts in the graphic novel. I still would've liked one more issue to be honest as it did feel a tad rushed in that final one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed