"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,319 times)

seattle24

seattle24

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 07, 2020, 07:50:59 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 05, 2020, 07:30:38 PM
The worst part of Covenant is the Alien parts, but that has more to do with a director that is completely uninterested in the creature to start with.

This. I still f**king love Covenant. I find the themes it's playing with particularly interesting, I still think David is fascinating and the whole frustration with creation aspect is something I love and think fits in with Alien (I've had the idea in the back of my head for a while now of someone who wants kids but can't, turns to the Aliens in some f**ked up way of getting children). But Covenant is definitely at it's worse once the Alien is introduced. Scott just doesn't handle it well and you can tell he was forced into including it in the film. And there's the whole it being a recent creation thing, but I'm sure we can tap-dance around that in another film.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 07, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
I think the biggest disappointment with the Covenant Alien is that it went full Cameron mode instead of the creepy slow stalking original mode.  It just wasn't scary.

I still don't think it felt really off necessarily, it just felt like every other incarnation of the Alien that fans bitched about since the original.  He fell right into that same trap that everybody after the original did.  Making them shriek assault chainsaw monsters. 

But there IS something to say it is over exposed now, its never going to be as scary as it was originally. 

I think these comments sum up how I, and I guess how quite a few others feel. On one hand, the creature has been worn down through sloppy creature design and bad movies (I don't think anyone would argue 2004-2007 were particularly bad years).

On the other hand, Alien is still such a powerhouse of a movie from top to bottom. Within these pillars of excellency , is the creature designs, the execution and Bolaji's physically towering yet understated performance. It's a weird chasm to dissect because you watch Alienand think there is no way this monster is "cooked" but it's another narrative when I watch some of the other movies.

With that being said, and understanding Ridley's comments, I feel really conflicted as to whether he should get another crack. Hand on heart, my immediate reaction to both Prometheus and Covenant after their opening nights was 6/10 each. I do like Covenant more save the last 10 minutes. I do appreciate him opening up the doors to a wider universe - but I don't think his "prequels", specifically Prometheus are not HALF as good as he thinks they are.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 07, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
I think the biggest disappointment with the Covenant Alien is that it went full Cameron mode instead of the creepy slow stalking original mode.  It just wasn't scary.

To be fair to him, I will give Ridley major props for the scene in which the Alien enters the terraforming bay. I thought those moments of him upright where genuinely creepy.

Quote from: Magegg on Sep 08, 2020, 01:47:20 AM
He's definitely not what the franchise needs nowadays.

I have to agree. As much as I loved Alien and the majority of Covenant, I just don't have the faith in him for another.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: D88M on Sep 03, 2020, 10:56:51 AM
I hated the Alien in Alien Isolation, i had to cheat to finish the game which of course killed the game, the AI was completely broken and after hearing so much praise from everywhere for so long i was dissapointed.
The Alien is not omnipotent, it was ridiculous that he was over on me literally all the time and there was literally nothing i could do about it.
I remember once i was under a table around 15/20 minutes because the thing would just not leave the room.
I would go to the bathroom, eat something, talk to my family, come back and it was still going around. Awful.

I encountered some utterly ridiculous, game-breaking problems with the AI, either glitching or obviously cheating. That's why I refuse to praise it as a whole. The presentation style was some of the best material the series has had in decades, but the actual gameplay gave me nothing but annoyance and frustration.

Quote from: Cbass on Sep 03, 2020, 06:23:12 PM
Everyone wants a movie about the engineers. Literally. Far more interesting.

No, some people do. I doubt most do. I certainly do not.

The proper Space Jockeys they might be emulating, maybe, but not the contradictory Engineers.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 03, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
Is there any better way to know what you are doing than Ridley's way? which is to follow your own artistic vision without giving a f**k on studio and fans.

One where you have a cohesive and genuinely compelling script, rather than fancifully going off on tangents for the sake of it.

'Covenant' was one big slap in the face to those who had invested time and emotion in Shaw's story.

Quote from: Stompy the Perfect Xeno on Sep 03, 2020, 09:50:29 PM
Imagine a director saying the Predator might have run out of steam and wanting to explore pirates in the next film instead.

Perfect analogy.

Quote from: Evanus on Sep 05, 2020, 06:11:13 PM
I'm afraid that's the route Disney will take; safe and unimaginative films that try to recapture the magic of the originals.

That essentially describes the direction of the prequels for me. Unwillling to take genuinely interesting risks, playing everything safe and tropey, not bothering to take the basic concept of the ancient astronaut theory and imaginatively run with it.

It even diluted the magic of the Space Jockey reveal into something much safer and less interesting, by turning them into living marble statues of people.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 07, 2020, 06:25:30 PM
They told him we want f*cking Aliens, so he gave us f*cking Aliens.

No, he gave us a superficial imitation of them. Gone were the nightmarish, exoskeletal phantasms of Giger and Winston.

Evanus

The prequels are anything but safe and unimaginative.

Kradan

Evanus

A lot of sites reporting it now, most of them under the impression that Scott said there won't be a sequel to Prometheus & Covenant. Wonder if that's what he really meant.

Stolen

it's pretty funny, I rather understood that Ridley wanted to make a new film in the franchise without everything related to the alien.

Corporal Hicks

I honestly don't mind the idea of tangential stuff like that. Of my problems with Prometheus, it's lack of Aliens was 100% not one of them. I wish Covenant had been entirely focused around the Neomorphs as their creature baddies. I personally think there is more to be found within the franchise that isn't the Alien with a capital-A.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Evanus on Sep 09, 2020, 03:50:31 AM
A lot of sites reporting it now, most of them under the impression that Scott said there won't be a sequel to Prometheus & Covenant. Wonder if that's what he really meant.

That's the way I took it, based on this quote: "Whether or not we go directly back to that is doubtful".  So honestly, "Ridley on Next Alien Prequel - "It's doubtful'" is just as much an accurate headline.   :-\

Magegg

A sort of reboot or soft reboot wouldn't be bad.

Alien³ and Resurrection crapped all over Ripley's arc.

And then Prometheus and especially Covenant pretty much destroyed the xenomorph mythos to ridiculous levels.

son_of_kane

What Alien needs is an auteur who will do for the franchise what Nolan did for Batman. Familiar elements that fans know and love, yet different from the movies that came before. I don't believe that reinventing the wheel completely is required, you're only going to end up alienating large swathes of the fanbase that way.

Voodoo Magic

We already have our Ripley! :)

Evanus

Well, I've pretty much given up on the third prequel by now.

David Weyland

The juxtaposition of the songs Cabin on the Lake into Lonely Perfection get me through

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 08, 2020, 04:04:30 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 03, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
Is there any better way to know what you are doing than Ridley's way? which is to follow your own artistic vision without giving a f**k on studio and fans.

One where you have a cohesive and genuinely compelling script, rather than fancifully going off on tangents for the sake of it.

'Covenant' was one big slap in the face to those who had invested time and emotion in Shaw's story.

Fair enough. Covenant is more cohesive than Prometheus though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed