Prometheus Sets and Props

Started by ikarop, Apr 24, 2012, 10:27:19 PM

Author
Prometheus Sets and Props (Read 27,126 times)

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 24, 2012, 11:04:02 PM
QuoteMany of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables...

Plants and sea-creatures I can buy into - they do some creepy shit - but vegetables? Why the hell did he mention vegetables? Out beloved xeno was partly modeled on insects, and our new beast is partly modeled on.... vegetables!?

I don't know about you guys, but I am struggling to think of anything noteworthy that vegetables do, other than be tasty and nutritious. ;)
You know the aliens eat carrots, right?  :D

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 24, 2012, 11:04:02 PM
QuoteMany of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables...

Plants and sea-creatures I can buy into - they do some creepy shit - but vegetables? Why the hell did he mention vegetables? Out beloved xeno was partly modeled on insects, and our new beast is partly modeled on.... vegetables!?

I don't know about you guys, but I am struggling to think of anything noteworthy that vegetables do, other than be tasty and nutritious. ;)
Plants are pretty terrifying in that they put all of their energy into surviving. Even sea-creatures take time to nap or goof off.

Perhaps the eggs are vegetables? They seem to be rooted into the ground.

However it sure sounds like Ridley's going to have interspecies rape in Prometheus... I wonder if it lasts for more than 2 minutes?  :laugh:

Deuterium

Deuterium

QuoteMany of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables, sea creatures and other animals.  Nothing is invented

Is this supposed to be something to be especially proud of?  Many of the best science-fiction stories, involving alien life, make impressive use of imagination and "invention".  In fact, some of the most memorable aliens in SF literature are those that are truly "alien", and have no correspondence or correlation with terrestrial Life.  Just sayin...

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 25, 2012, 01:40:14 AM
QuoteMany of Ridley's references are derived from nature – plants, vegetables, sea creatures and other animals.  Nothing is invented

Is this supposed to be something to be especially proud of?  Many of the best science-fiction stories, involving alien life, make impressive use of imagination and "invention".  In fact, some of the most memorable aliens in SF literature are those that are truly "alien", and have no correspondence or correlation with terrestrial Life.  Just sayin...

Deuterium, in another thread you're complaining that the plot is not historically factual enough for you (or at least in keeping with our known biological history).

Now you're complaining that Ridley is not utilising enough imagination or invention?

Deuterium, it begs the question.....did Ridley Scott steal candy from you when you were a baby?  :P

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Apr 25, 2012, 02:13:20 AM
Deuterium, in another thread you're complaining that the plot is not historically factual enough for you (or at least in keeping with our known biological history).

Now you're complaining that Ridley is not utilising enough imagination or invention?

Deuterium, it begs the question.....did Ridley Scott steal candy from you when you were a baby?  :P

Virgil, with all due respect, these are two entirely different issues.  Tossing aside human evolution and development, and possibly re-writing Earth's life history, are what I have "complaints" with.

He can do anything he wants with alien biology.  In fact, the less it resembles terrestrial biology, the better, IMHO.   

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 25, 2012, 01:40:14 AM

Even the original Alien had a correspondence and correlation with terrestrial life, which the film-makers were not shy to mention. Like Descartes said, I don't think you can create something that does not have a root in something you've already experienced. Some terrestrial life is absolutely horrific. I don't understand your complaint.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 25, 2012, 02:27:09 AM
Even the original Alien had a correspondence and correlation with terrestrial life, which the film-makers were not shy to mention. Like Descartes said, I don't think you can create something that does not have a root in something you've already experienced. Some terrestrial life is absolutely horrific. I don't understand your complaint.

I have simply expressed concern with the production designers statements, which imply that the alien life / creatures, featured in the film, are derived from terrestrial examples...and specifically, the perplexing qualification that "nothing was invented".  If you folks wish to categorize my specific post as a formal complaint, then that is your choice.

Virgil

Virgil

I'm not trying to categorize you at all, Deuterium. I just wanna see a big ol' smile on that there face  ;D

Now, can we gaze at this picture for a minute and get a bit excited that this film comes out in just over a month?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The problem lies with every minute detail being raked over the coals, so much so that now, people have problem with the wording of those behind the scenes of Prometheus. When does this end? By all means, carry on, but don't get offended when this starts getting really old and on everyone else's last nerve.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 25, 2012, 02:42:36 AM
I have simply expressed concern with the production designers statements, which imply that the alien life / creatures, featured in the film, are derived from terrestrial examples...and specifically, the perplexing qualification that "nothing was invented".  If you folks wish to categorize my specific post as a formal complaint, then that is your choice.

Well said, indeed. :)

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Apr 25, 2012, 03:00:06 AM
Now, can we gaze at this picture for a minute and get a bit excited that this film comes out in just over a month?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/03/17/Prometheus_510.jpg

Certainly, and we're all very very excited. The fact that many of us choose to analyse all the details and not simply stop at "WOW $#^%! I JUST JIZZED MYSELF!" Show's we are far more deeply excited. This is a pretty big moment in film history. I don't think there's anyone who isn't on some level excited about this picture.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 25, 2012, 03:02:34 AM
The problem lies with every minute detail being raked over the coals, so much so that now, people have problem with the wording of those behind the scenes of Prometheus. When does this end? By all means, carry on, but don't get offended when this starts getting really old and on everyone else's last nerve.

Why, exactly, does it matter to you what bothers other people? Seriously. If you enjoy something, go ahead, but a forum is all about discussion, from the minute details to the huge ones. It shouldn't hurt your ability to enjoy the film proper if some of us dislike certain details.

AsapJockey

AsapJockey

So the derelict is called the "Juggernaut" cool (jots down in Alien nerdy fact session of the brain)

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: AsapJockey on Apr 25, 2012, 05:54:19 AM
So the derelict is called the "Juggernaut" cool (jots down in Alien nerdy fact session of the brain)

At least I didn't link to a "nothing can stop the Juggernaut Bitch" gif that i have been expecting someone to post all day.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Goddamit, Deuterium, are you still stuck at a 3.5? :laugh:

Just remember: this will not be as good as ALIEN, not by a looooooong margin. But it will still be good (hopefully), full stop.  ;)

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 25, 2012, 06:09:16 AM

Just remember: this will not be as good as ALIEN, not by a looooooong margin. But it will still be good (hopefully), full stop.  ;)

I think it has a chance to be better then Alien.  Not a huge chance, but a chance none the less.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 25, 2012, 06:09:16 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong Cvalda, I certainly don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that really sounds like it comes with an air of "Well, what do you expect?" Like Alien is on such a high playing field nothing can touch it? I mean, Alien is a classic, it's a great movie, but what makes it great isn't that hard to achieve... and with everything we've learned in the last 30 years since Alien was made, both about astronomy, cosmology, biology, and all the technical advancements, that a new story could blow Alien out of the water? I think it's possible. For me, right now, the only thing that marks against this film is the AA theory involvement. If the rest of the movie can at least handle itself as an adult film, I don't see how this film can't match Alien at least. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed