Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 10, 2017, 07:09:57 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F (Read 31,215 times)

Hemi

QuotePrometheus is good, it only needs better editing and the deleted scenes back in

:D

Quote from: Sen on May 11, 2017, 02:48:35 AM
Prometheus was a terrible movie with lazy writing that relied on supposedly intelligent characters behaving unintelligently to advance the plot.  The negative backlash was well deserved.

^This. The lack of Aliens was indeed not the biggest problem. I'm glad Prometheus is off the table and looking forward to Covenant and it's sequels. Alien: Isolation proved the Xeno is still fckin scary (hell maybe Scott even played it for all we know lol) and it seems Covenant is out to scare people. So bring on the new beasties, storylines and crazy androids.  :P

windebieste

I didn't find the movie all that 'scary'.  Long time fans aren't going to be scared - it's a thriller, sure, and some of the action components are great as is the philosophical content.  Scary, sure... I guess.  If I was ever to find myself in the situation depicted in the movie and not familiar with critical themes the movie offers.

Thats' where 'ALIEN: Isolation' succeeded.  It placed me directly in the shoes of Amanda Ripley.  Yeah.  That was scary at times.

For newcomers, yeah.  It'll be a scary movie.  It would be interesting experiment to take someone who's not been exposed to any 'ALIEN' movies, including the 'AvP' stuff - and see how they react. 

And yes.  A little tidying up would improve 'PROMETHEUS' outta sight!  There's a decent movie there that I hope will one day emerge - much like 'ALIEN 3' has improved as time as passed with each release adding cut content returned to the movie.  I think that will eventually happen.

-Windebieste.

SiL

The problem with the film being scary is there's no time to breathe. Fear is anticipation. There are lots of tense moments where lots of bad things happen at once, but you never really get any time to dread something happening because something is always happening.

It's like a roast, you gotta let it sit for a minute if you want to do it right.

windebieste

Yeah. That's probably an issue that Scott himself should understand better.  'ALIEN's tension and scares are played out over a long period of time with very little else happening outside of 'where is it?' and 'how do we get rid of it?'  Much of 'ALIEN' is little more than that.

I found 'A:C' to have a lot going on and be more of a space thriller along the lines of a roller coaster ride rather than something genuinely frightening.

-Windebieste.

hollypops

hollypops

Lindelof was the biggest issue with Prometheus glad to see Ridley remedied that one after he got his fingers burnt(although I will say the space jockey identity was a dud, although he could still readdress this)
Personally I love the way Scotts taking the story(controversial opinion I know) just add more Giger and its perfect!

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 11, 2017, 07:08:36 AM
Quote from: windebieste on May 11, 2017, 04:39:15 AM
I just got home from seeing it. 

It's Great! 

All these panic mongers, perfectionists and overly expectant going on about retcons and crap are full of bullshit.  They can all just f**k off.

The only thing being retconned is their precious head canon.

Go see it.

-Windebieste.

Here here. I'll see it and stay true to my thoughts, though I suspect i'll be in your camp Windebieste because I've gotta say, some of the plot points I've read really don't upset me or phase me. It's nearly 40 years after the original man-in-a-suit movie, I'm just so glad it's still around and I for one, am glad about some of the elements Ridley is putting in.

Me too, really enjoyed reading Windbieste review and you certainly made the film sound close to what I had hoped for.

You cant please everyone and I kind of like the idea that the story is going in a completely different direction than I imagined for all those years, its refreshing, to me anyway.

Roll on Saturday

Predaker

Quote from: windebieste on May 11, 2017, 04:39:15 AM
I just got home from seeing it. 

It's Great! 

All these panic mongers, perfectionists and overly expectant going on about retcons and crap are full of bullshit.  They can all just f**k off.

The only thing being retconned is their precious head canon.

Go see it.

-Windebieste.

lol! Winde's trying to lay the wood on 'em.

I think the people banging on about not getting a proper sequel really just wanted more engineers.

SiL

I just wanted a well constructed last half :P

newbeing

Ridley Scott, as great as a filmmaker as he is just doesn't understand what made the first movie so appealing. It's not so much his fault, as he was involved in the process of making the film, but it's really time to pass the torch to someone who can see the bigger picture. Isolation is a perfect example of a group of creative people that "get it".

The problem isn't the Xenomorph, the problem is the ALIEN is gone. The mystery, the wonder and cosmic horror has been reduced to a slasher villain in space, with stories resulting in nothing more than people bumping into the Xenomorph and dying. Rinse off the blood and repeat. I appreciate Scott's attempts to bring some deeper meaning to the franchise, but it's done with out reverence to the source and ultimately it comes off sloppy and meaningless.

It's frustrating as all hell to see how muddled this series has become. As formulaic and sometimes filler as the Marvel and new Star Wars movies are, at least they are maintaining some consistency in their world building.

Predaker

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2017, 01:48:08 PM

Yeah, it seems there was a bit too much going on, too fast towards the end.

I was referring to people who think Prometheus II would have been god-tier and Alien: Covenant is for the peasants.

fiveways

Quote from: Predaker on May 11, 2017, 02:15:27 PM

I was referring to people who think Prometheus II would have been god-tier and Alien: Covenant is for the peasants.

It wouldn't have been God-tier.  That kinda sci-fi doesn't exist in 2017 with a budget of 100m+ if it exist at all in film forum.  We're well beyond the days where a studio would have the balls to release something like 2001 without adding a sub-plot to appeal to people who absolutely need human melodrama to make their films enjoyable (Interstellar I am looking at you).  As much as I love the idea of Shaw and David exploring an Alien race we do not understand I've always known that wouldn't full happen because most people would be bored by that film. 

I was just hoping for something more than a typical horror movie.  I know people didn't like the Star Trek aspect of Prometheus but that is what kept me interested in the movie and keeps me kinda championing it even though it is not a good movie.  I thought second time around maybe they would get it right. 

Lee

I am thrilled that Ridley Scott is...FINALLY...taking the heat for the criticism lobbed at "Prometheus," which I loved, by the way.  I felt it was hugely unfair that fans took out their frustrations on Damon Lindelof over the film, when all he did was write what Scott wanted.  If Scott hadn't liked what Lindelof wrote, he wouldn't have directed it.  As Lindelof has repeatedly stated, he would write something, go over with Scott, and Scott would advise him on what to do next.  And as we all know, Scott loves to improvise on his sets, which made further changes.

It pisses me off that fans dumped on Lindelof because they were still butt-hurt about how "Lost" ended, which I loved, by the way.  It was the "cool thing" to do at the time: instantly hate on anything Lindelof did.  Never mind there were several cooks in the kitchen on the new "Star Trek" films; anything fans didn't like, it was Lindelof's fault.

I loved "Prometheus," so I'm not hating on the film.  But I am happy that, after all these years, Scott can finally admit that HE was at fault for the film's shortcomings, not Lindelof.  I respect Scott more now than I ever have.

Game_Over_Man

It's generous of Ridley - he did sound pretty stubborn at the time, But also I think he's easing the responsibilites of the executive producers who ultimately had the final say. I suppose he needs their support now, especially to up the budget for what will probably be his final contribution to the franchise.

I don't mind Prometheus in retrospect - it has an Italian  B-Movie vibe about it, mirroring the grand pretentions of those films, and the grand disappointments of not fulfilling their promise! :)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: fiveways on May 11, 2017, 03:13:42 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 11, 2017, 02:15:27 PM

It wouldn't have been God-tier.  That kinda sci-fi doesn't exist in 2017 with a budget of 100m+ if it exist at all in film forum.  We're well beyond the days where a studio would have the balls to release something like 2001 without adding a sub-plot to appeal to people who absolutely need human melodrama to make their films enjoyable (Interstellar I am looking at you).  As much as I love the idea of Shaw and David exploring an Alien race we do not understand I've always known that wouldn't full happen because most people would be bored by that film. 

I was just hoping for something more than a typical horror movie.  I know people didn't like the Star Trek aspect of Prometheus but that is what kept me interested in the movie and keeps me kinda championing it even though it is not a good movie.  I thought second time around maybe they would get it right.

I mean that kinda sci-fi does exist, we just had Prometheus.

dookie

The only "scary" thing in the film is how bad Ridley is butchering the alien franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed